• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Unity Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You now what I do? It's like clothes shopping. If there are clothes on the rack that are too expensive, or that I just don't like, I just keep walking.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
I wish it was part of the TH user agreement that people who think Monette equipment is overpriced can only post that in their own dedicated threads, rather than ruining everyone else's.

I was thinking something similar -- the Moderators should start a "Monette Sticker Shock Catharsis" forum where members who feel the need can wax eloquent and vent to their hearts' content.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspeyrer wrote:
Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:
Yikes, so much vitriol.
Tremendous lack of comprehension here. Isn’t this supposed to be about, um, UNITY?

Cool. Address how a gold-plated Monette Unity is barely twice the cost of a gold-plated Bach 3C Megatone, not the "410x" more expensive you ridiculously posited upthread. At least in my experiences, a Monette mouthpiece IS ABSOLUTELY worth 2x the price of a Bach mouthpiece - and my three Monette mouthpieces are all 20+ years old, at that.

Cool, let’s address your poor mathematics skills first. Tell me, how did you incorrectly calculate the 410X breakdown? Also, how did you compute 159.99 is barely 2X 415? You are the one telling me what I wrote wasn’t hyperbole. You are the one who refuses to breakdown manufacturing costs. You are the one arguing semantics. I stand by my statements. I’ll PM you my phone number and we can converse about this if you’d like.

Adorable. But once again the 410x hypothesis was entirely yours, not mine, and you have made the square root of jack all to corroborate it beyond saying "just kidding guys it was hyperbole." You have also have failed to indicate where new Yamaha mouthpieces sell for $30.

The gold-plated Bach Megatones go for $210 to $220. $210 + $210 = $420. That's... more than the $410 Monette is asking for its Unity mouthpieces. You see, $420 > $410. Thus concludes today's lesson in basic math. Since you brought up semantics, let's take a minute to review what I actually typed upthread:

"Gold-plated Bach trumpet mouthpieces, which are entirely gold-plated, are $160 for a standard blank and around $215-220 for a Megatone blank.

So rather than your now-retracted 410x more expensive claim, these Monette Unity mouthpieces are barely 2x as expensive as the 3C Megatone most of us tooted on in high school once we account for the gold plating, and just a scooch over 2.5x more expensive than the 7C most of us had in elementary or middle school, again once we account for the gold plating"

And how did you respond?

"Cool, let’s address your poor mathematics skills first. Tell me, how did you incorrectly calculate the 410X breakdown? Also, how did you compute 159.99 is barely 2X 415?"

In other words, you selectively misquoted me out of context to make it look like I said $410 was barely twice $160. I clearly said no such thing. Not to mention that you are now trying to pawn off the 410x claim you risibly made on me. This is sad, pathetic stuff.

Do us all a favor and ditch YOUR semantics - and antics - and either leave the thread, since you clearly have nothing to contribute beyond bad faith trolling, or actually tell us why you think multinational conglomerates have the same manufacturing & distribution costs as a small team in a glorified garage bay in Oregon. Yamaha could be using their jet ski profits to underwrite selling mouthpieces at a loss for all you or I know.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum for those who struggle with mathematical concepts: I bought my first Monette in high school in the mid-late 90s. As I recall, it cost about $190 (and at least for me, was worth every penny). $190 in 1996 is equivalent to $340 in today's dollars. And here we are, multiple generations of Monette mouthpiece design later - Prana, Resonance, Unity - and their newest wares are, once we account for inflation, not all that much more expensive than they were 25 years ago. So in real dollars, a top of the line Monette mouthpiece costs 20.5% more than the now-antiquated top of the line Monette mouthpieces from a quarter century ago.

Meanwhile the Bach 72 I bought from Osmun in 1995 cost $974, if memory serves. That's $1,792 in today's dollars. You know how much THE EXACT SAME Bach 72 costs today? About $3,500. It hasn't undergone three generations of improvements or anything; it's the exact same horn. In real dollars a Bach 72 costs 95.3% more than the exact same Bach 72 did a quarter century ago.

And yet, as now several other commenters have noted, it's only on the Monette threads that we get this sort of "Waaa it costs too much" trolling.
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While no one likes overpriced goods, my biggest complaint about Monette as a company remains the same: too much mystery about their products.

Why does Monette never explain in technical terms how their mouthpieces evolve from generation to generation?! The answer does not involve proprietary information, because any competitor or analyst can scan and/or measure a mouthpiece just as competitors and analysts disassemble cars for analysis.

The Monette Unity webpage reads: "New cup designs, backbores, and mouthpiece weights, all of which are optimized for use with non-Monette, production trumpets." Also, "New designs for lead trumpet play easier in the extreme upper register." That's all the technical information Monette gives on the subject; yet, these mouthpieces allegedly come in the same sizes as previous generations of Monette mouthpieces whose sizes they publish. So, what makes Unity different than a Prana or Traditions Plus? The blank? What about the cups changed? What about the backbores changed?

If I would ever want to become a Monette customer, I would want Monette to explain the evolution of their mouthpieces and "the why" and "the what" rather than "the result". We should all remember that engineering is the "science of compromise." So, what refinements and compromises did Monette make to get the desired result?!

When I do custom work for my clients, I give them my work product and explain how and why I designed their "product" and rendered my services as I did. I gain my clients' trust with my openness about how and what I do.

Monette appears to fear doing this and only wants to show you others using their end product. Such tactics remind me of the proverbial "snake oil salesmen" rather than technical manufacturing professionals. You can always find people who will swear on their mother's grave that the "snake oil" does what it claims. However, you never know why and how it works—it might prove a miracle cure, it might prove poison, or it might be both.

If I would pay double, triple, or quadruple the price to buy a Monette mouthpiece, I would want to understand exactly what makes it worth that price premium. However, I suspect that Monette will never change its marketing tactics to satisfy those who have a need for deeper understanding. Perhaps Monette feels that its customers lack the technical expertise to understand, but I find that many accomplished trumpet players often have high intelligence and yearn for understanding.

In venting my frustration over what many people believe a superior product, I have no intention to offend anyone here, but, as a technical person from a precision manufacturing heritage, I do not understand why Monette does not explain its products' evolutions from generation to generation.
Stan Harrison

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself was wondering if anyone tried these unity MP's and their opinions of how they play regardless of the Price and Monette mystique issue. I've used Monette MP's since 1999, First Classic STC and LT, then Prana STC and LT, then Resonance, Each is different but not necessarily better than the other. I had the original BLMR made for me in 1999 as a B6LR, it was hand cut by Dean Comley as a custom build, A tweak of the B6L, He could never quite Duplicate it, so after Monette got their CNC lathe they scanned it and renamed the B6LR as the BLMR. (Sorry for the side story) Now after a While I kept my STC Prana's and sold the rest as I preferred STC weight Prana. Now since playing a marvelous Lotus lead/solo trumpet since March 2018, I now use the lotus 3M nickel silver MP and am waiting for a Bronze Lotus Flugel MP. When I got the lotus, I thought it was good but not better than the Monette, Cost less though, LOL. All depends on what you like, the sound the feel, how is slots etc etc. Different not better. At first I still liked the Monette BLMR compared to the Lotus 3M. But I kept comparing and switched back and forth, then after about a month I preferred the Lotus 3M in Nickel silver.. The inside rim diameter is a hair larger and the cup a tad deeper, but very close, Throat and backbore design is different. But I keep the Monette Prana's as I still like them. They have a thicker denser core sound. Now I am so Curious about the Monette Unity, but they don't make them in the BLMR size which is about a Bach 3D. But I am on Monette's blacklist, I didn't like their Resonance Flugel MP, and I got drunk one night and in an email told BJ it sucked and was thinking of switching to Lotus, then he blocked my emails. How childish LOL
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The response is noticeably better with the slap cup innovation. The Prana innovation, for me, softened the edges of the sound without darkening or dulling.

Last edited by kevin_soda on Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
You now what I do? It's like clothes shopping. If there are clothes on the rack that are too expensive, or that I just don't like, I just keep walking.

Why don't you bother every single person shopping in the section you're not interested in? Would that be rude?
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest disappointment is that you can no longer buy a heavy weight version unless you have a Monette horn. I have played a B2S3 in its various incarnations for many years, but discovered on my A4 that STC3 weight greatly improved overall intonation. BJ just told me that they won't sell me a heavier weight mouthpiece anymore, so I'm going to be stuck with an older resonance version I scored off eBay until people start selling in a couple of years.
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile the Bach 72 I bought from Osmun in 1995 cost $974, if memory serves. That's $1,792 in today's dollars. You know how much THE EXACT SAME Bach 72 costs today? About $3,500. It hasn't undergone three generations of improvements or anything; it's the exact same horn. In real dollars a Bach 72 costs 95.3% more than the exact same Bach 72 did a quarter century ago.

There's never been two Bach trumpets that are identical. Seriously though, the design might be the same but build quality and quality control has been improved a lot over the years. I wouldn't say that there hasn't been any improvements. Have you played a new Bach recently? They are amazing horns and IMO a lot better than 20 years ago.
bjcord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptguy wrote:
jhahntpt wrote:

The rim though...the rim feels VERY different to anything I've ever felt from Dave.

Can you speak more about this? I have been communicating with BJ about this. I currently am on a 2.5 and they don't make that in the unity. He suggested the 4S as it is the same rim size but different contour. That is what has me worried though as I really like the Monette rims on the classic mouthpieces and am worried that this rim might be too different for me.

Other than the introduction of some new rims in the new line of mouthpieces (B1-7, B2-7, and MF VI), the rims are unchanged from earlier models. So the other commenter's Unity B4S has the exact same rim as any other B4S mouthpiece (i.e. the B4S S2) made in at least the last 15 years or so. (Pre-CNC mouthpieces made in the 1980s or 1990s sometimes had a bit more individual variation in rim contour from one to another, mainly due to how a particular mouthpiece may have been buffed before plating.)

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the B4S rim may just be a new one for the other commenter, and that he probably just used some different rims or sizes in the past.

Also, two mouthpieces can subjectively feel a bit different on the chops if there are other differences in the way that they play (cup, internals, weight, shape, etc.) even if they have the exact same rim. So that could be a factor as well. Again, the rims are unchanged from older models, with the exception of the three new rims that were just introduced.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruotjoh wrote:

There's never been two Bach trumpets that are identical. Seriously though, the design might be the same but build quality and quality control has been improved a lot over the years. I wouldn't say that there hasn't been any improvements. Have you played a new Bach recently? They are amazing horns and IMO a lot better than 20 years ago.

Yeah, I think I tested six or eight Bachs at Osmun before I settled on the one I bought. One or two seemed no better than my student horn. I do love my Bach, and I think I've managed to keep it in pretty good nick given its age and mileage.

I've played a few Bach Anniversary 37 bells, which aren't quite my cup of tea. But honestly? New Bachs (and Yamahas) are edging so very close to the prices of new horns from the likes of Schagerl, Shires, Van Laar, Adams, etc. that I'd probably spend a few hundred more to get a Shires Destino or a custom horn from one of those other makers. Thane Trumpets, which was started by one of Monette's ex-employees, offers a red brass 72-ish bell trumpet with a Meinlschmidt valve block and two-piece casing (bronze, nickel) for the same $3,500 as a Bach 72. We are spoiled for choices these days. Or heck, save $1,000, get one of those gorgeous Getzen 900 DLX Anniversary models, and buy a couple more Monette mouthpieces for it
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice discussion going on here. Reminds of TH back in the early 2000's. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjcord wrote:

Also, two mouthpieces can subjectively feel a bit different on the chops if there are other differences in the way that they play (cup, internals, weight, shape, etc.) even if they have the exact same rim. So that could be a factor as well. Again, the rims are unchanged from older models, with the exception of the three new rims that were just introduced.

This was my experience but the factor was the horn itself. I've played the #4 diameter for several years but I did try a B2S3 at one point. It felt too big. With my recently purchased Monette C trumpet, the #4 diameter "felt" to small and the C2S3 is just right...
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Subtropical and Subpar"][quote="Aspeyrer"]
Aspeyrer wrote:
Yikes, so much vitriol.
Tremendous lack of comprehension here. Isn’t this supposed to be about, um, UNITY?

In other words, you selectively misquoted me out of context to make it look like I said $410 was barely twice $160. I clearly said no such thing. Not to mention that you are now trying to pawn off the 410x claim you risibly made on me. This is sad, pathetic stuff.

Do us all a favor and ditch YOUR semantics - and antics - and either leave the thread, since you clearly have nothing to contribute beyond bad faith trolling, or actually tell us why you think multinational conglomerates have the same manufacturing & distribution costs as a small team in a glorified garage bay in Oregon. Yamaha could be using their jet ski profits to underwrite selling mouthpieces at a loss for all you or I know.

Please stop trolling and arguing over semantics. Your began by using your incorrect maths. Now, you claim not to know if Yamaha motor company has anything to do with their instruments manufacturing? Yikes, not sure what is your personal issue with my statements.

Also, a new Bach gp megatone is $159.99. Please send me a pm if you’d like a link, I can save you $50+
Trptguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjcord wrote:
Trptguy wrote:
jhahntpt wrote:

The rim though...the rim feels VERY different to anything I've ever felt from Dave.

Can you speak more about this? I have been communicating with BJ about this. I currently am on a 2.5 and they don't make that in the unity. He suggested the 4S as it is the same rim size but different contour. That is what has me worried though as I really like the Monette rims on the classic mouthpieces and am worried that this rim might be too different for me.

Other than the introduction of some new rims in the new line of mouthpieces (B1-7, B2-7, and MF VI), the rims are unchanged from earlier models. So the other commenter's Unity B4S has the exact same rim as any other B4S mouthpiece (i.e. the B4S S2) made in at least the last 15 years or so. (Pre-CNC mouthpieces made in the 1980s or 1990s sometimes had a bit more individual variation in rim contour from one to another, mainly due to how a particular mouthpiece may have been buffed before plating.)

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the B4S rim may just be a new one for the other commenter, and that he probably just used some different rims or sizes in the past.

BJ, thanks for taking the time to respond to this thread. That puts my mind more at ease. Will be ordering later this afternoon.

Thanks!!!
www.balabrass.org
XO Artist
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Monette mouthpieces. The movement between notes seems more even. There are no big jumps in effort between notes in a scale. One thing I found was that they sound very different from behind the mouthpiece to what they do to the audience. I did a concert on my Prana mouthpiece where I thought I was sounding very fluffy but the recording showed me being bright and sparkling. This disparity can be very difficult to get used to.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Aspeyrer"][quote="Subtropical and Subpar"]
Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:
Yikes, so much vitriol.

Please stop trolling and arguing over semantics. Your began by using your incorrect maths. Now, you claim not to know if Yamaha motor company has anything to do with their instruments manufacturing? Yikes, not sure what is your personal issue with my statements.

Also, a new Bach gp megatone is $159.99. Please send me a pm if you’d like a link, I can save you $50+

I have nothing further to say to you. It is clear you are far out of your depth, unable to back up your bluster, and here solely for the purpose of smearing a company whose products you undoubtedly have never tried.
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Subtropical and Subpar"][quote="Aspeyrer"]
Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:
Yikes, so much vitriol.

I have nothing further to say to you. It is clear you are far out of your depth, unable to back up your bluster, and here solely for the purpose of smearing a company whose products you undoubtedly have never tried.

You guys need to get a room.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lawler Bb"][quote="Subtropical and Subpar"]
Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:
Yikes, so much vitriol.

You guys need to get a room.

You have no idea. Despite my last post, dude has tried to PM me twice now, giving his phone number both times. Someone is desperate for attention.
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: