• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz - Bach 3C

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a modern Bach 3C. The Shew Jazz backbore is so tight that I can't get enough air through it, and on my trumpet it causes 3rd space C to go sharp. YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling the Yamaha Shew Jazz's backbore "so tight" seems absurd to me. There is much worse. I have always found the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz to be a better 3C mouthpiece.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3861 wrote:
Calling the Yamaha Shew Jazz's backbore "so tight" seems absurd to me. There is much worse. I have always found the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz to be a better 3C mouthpiece.

Granted, it is all relative to the individual player. To me, it is tighter than a Bach #76, which is a little tighter than a #10. The Shew Jazz backbore definitely causes intonation issues on my particular trumpet, where the #76 is just right, and after all these decades I start going flat in the upper register with a stock #10 backbore on a 3C cup.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
3861 wrote:

Granted, it is all relative to the individual player. To me, it is tighter than a Bach #76, which is a little tighter than a #10. The Shew Jazz backbore definitely causes intonation issues on my particular trumpet, where the #76 is just right, and after all these decades I start going flat in the upper register with a stock #10 backbore on a 3C cup.
Yes, you make a good point. It's a trade off. I do find I need to lift the pitch a little bit in the upper register, but I find the tighter backbore makes playing overall less taxing. I don't feel like I'm pushing air through it at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: