• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

$4k+- to spend. Give me suggestions.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Raphael Mendez would be proud.

This just goes to illustrate how a different mpc and mental attitude can be a huge influence on the sound produced. Same horn, different sounds from other players.

Eric, I've got two questions:
Did you settle on a mouthpiece? I could have missed it, long thread, but curious.
You state that "My current horn is 2lb 10oz (1200 grams)". I wonder about the weight difference. How do you compare the Edward's weight to your previous horn?

Thanks.

Austin Winds: 2lb 11.5oz
X-13: 2lb 4.1oz

Aside from the 7.4oz difference, the Edwards is also shorter and feels more balanced in my hands. The X-13 bell is closer to your ear and brings in the extra weight that usually hangs out from you with standard bells.
So that 7.4oz feels like a much bigger difference than you'd think.

I have not settled on a mouthpiece, but currently I'm using an Austin Winds 685D (.685 diameter, deep cup).

I'll be receiving a Monette Unity B1-7 today, but I have a feeling that it won't be what I'm looking for. I've tried many Monette mouthpieces in the past and haven't had any luck finding a comfortable size.

If the Monette doesn't work out, I'll be ordering an ACB New York 1 (Modern blank, gold plated).

The ACB mouthpiece feels great. I just don't want to wait 2-3 months for it...and the Monette was in stock when I ordered.

Even if the Monette does work out, I'll probably eventually order the ACB New York 1. It's been a great fitting mouthpiece for me the few times I've been able to try it.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the Harmonic Pillars in for the Edwards X-13.

No Pillar: The horn has a great, open sound. You can feel the resonance in the bell and the sound to my ears sounds similar to a large bore trumpet with a sound that spreads nicely.

Nickel Pillar: The tone stays nearly the same, but the notes seem to have more core to them. Instead of a sound that spreads, it sounds like the notes hold together a bit more. I want to say it's a very similar effect that a heavy trim kit would have. It doesn't darken the tone though...just keeps the notes from spreading or having a flair to them.

Copper Pillar: This darkened the sound a decent amount. It was actually too dark for my preference. Almost like a different horn when compared to how the horn plays with no pillar or the nickel pillar. The sound wasn't my preference. IMO this took away a bit of the versatility that I find so appealing about the horn.

Now, I'll be the first to say that it sounds crazy and I almost don't believe it for myself. I think it was a bit of a blessing that it took a week for these pillars to get delivered to me because I was able to play the horn extensively without any attachments. At this point I'm very familiar with the sound of the horn with no pillar....so when I first tried the nickel pillar I was blown away that it actually changed the sound. I'd never believe it if I hadn't tried it myself.

The more I go back and forth, the harder it gets to hear the differences. But I will say for a certainty that after playing the horn for a week with no pillars, the sound was absolutely different to my ears with the pillars. Just insane.

I'm not sure if this difference can be heard over video or even in person, but the difference of sound that you hear in your ear when you play is something that needs to be experienced in person. It's like enabling an audio enhancer in your headphones or something. Kinda makes you feel like "woah...that's different".
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playability wise:

No Pillar: Slotting seems the best. The sound is what I think Edwards was going for as far as a "default" sound for the horn. And after some time back and forth, I think no pillar might have the best true "X-13" sound and best playability.

Nickel Pillar: Slotting above the staff felt a bit looser. Sound feels a little more tamed. You might end up overplaying because the horn to your ears will sound a tad bit softer than with no pillar. Great core sound, but I feel like I'm fighting what my ears wants to hear.

Copper Pillar: Loose slotting again above the staff. I'd use this pillar maybe for smooth, solo stuff that doesn't go into the upper register.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Eric.

BTW, " . . the sound to my ears sounds similar to a large bore trumpet with a sound that spreads nicely."

I thought the Edwards was a Lare Bore horn. No?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Thanks, Eric.

BTW, " . . the sound to my ears sounds similar to a large bore trumpet with a sound that spreads nicely."

I thought the Edwards was a Lare Bore horn. No?

Yes. I was just saying that it sounds like what you'd expect.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
I just got the Harmonic Pillars in for the Edwards X-13.

No Pillar: The horn has a great, open sound. You can feel the resonance in the bell and the sound to my ears sounds similar to a large bore trumpet with a sound that spreads nicely.

Nickel Pillar: The tone stays nearly the same, but the notes seem to have more core to them. Instead of a sound that spreads, it sounds like the notes hold together a bit more. I want to say it's a very similar effect that a heavy trim kit would have. It doesn't darken the tone though...just keeps the notes from spreading or having a flair to them.

Copper Pillar: This darkened the sound a decent amount. It was actually too dark for my preference. Almost like a different horn when compared to how the horn plays with no pillar or the nickel pillar. The sound wasn't my preference. IMO this took away a bit of the versatility that I find so appealing about the horn.

Now, I'll be the first to say that it sounds crazy and I almost don't believe it for myself. I think it was a bit of a blessing that it took a week for these pillars to get delivered to me because I was able to play the horn extensively without any attachments. At this point I'm very familiar with the sound of the horn with no pillar....so when I first tried the nickel pillar I was blown away that it actually changed the sound. I'd never believe it if I hadn't tried it myself.

The more I go back and forth, the harder it gets to hear the differences. But I will say for a certainty that after playing the horn for a week with no pillars, the sound was absolutely different to my ears with the pillars. Just insane.

I'm not sure if this difference can be heard over video or even in person, but the difference of sound that you hear in your ear when you play is something that needs to be experienced in person. It's like enabling an audio enhancer in your headphones or something. Kinda makes you feel like "woah...that's different".

This is excellent feedback!
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a short video of the X-13. I can’t express how fun this horn it to play. Everything feels so even…and I feel like I don’t need much effort to play it. Phrasing is a piece of cake when the horn isn’t making you work hard.

Link

Last edited by ericmpena on Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be “that guy”, but did you try the pillars in different directions (screwed from bell end vs valve end) or screwed in at different depths? Both make a difference.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Eric that was great feedback!

Glad you like your new horn!
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
Not to be “that guy”, but did you try the pillars in different directions (screwed from bell end vs valve end) or screwed in at different depths? Both make a difference.

I did not. It was a bit awkward trying to get the pillars in from the valve end. Also, the copper pillar didn’t want to screw in completely for the first few times. Eventually the threads opened up and now it screws on completely. It’ll probably be easier now to get the threads going from the valve end as well.

I’ll have to spend a lot more time with the pillars to see what configuration I prefer. I can definitely hear a difference in the frequencies of the horn. It’s something that I don’t think can be captured in a recording…which makes it that much harder to demonstrate online.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
Here’s a short video of the X-13. I can’t express how fun this horn it to play. Everything feels so even…and I feel like I don’t need much effort to play it. Phrasing is a piece of cake when the horn isn’t making you work hard.

Link

That's some fantastic playing! Thanks for sharing it!
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing tone, articulation and gusto! ¡Con todo el corazón!
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound of this trumpet really blows me away! I'm lucky to own one, this is a keeper indeed and, btw, you are a fantastic player.
100% agreed with your thoughts on the pillars. After many test i've decided that for me the horn sounds and slot best with no pillars but is a very nice option to have at hand, that really change the sound/feel of the instrumet, like having different trumpets.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, since I play a Stage466 (which is quite heavy & it sounds like you prefer lighter), did you try the Stage470UK at all during your search?

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, are you using lip or air vibrato?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:

kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:

You sound great and it seems like that Monette is a good fit. Everything sounds very balanced.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Just out of curiosity, since I play a Stage466 (which is quite heavy & it sounds like you prefer lighter), did you try the Stage470UK at all during your search?

I got to play the Stage 466 for a weekend of gigs and liked everything about it until I had to play in a noisy break room at a company. The horns projection didn’t seem to be able to cut through the noise of the crowd. Everything else about it was great.

I did play the 470UK for a bit in the AustinWinds shop. It felt like an upgraded 470LT which I used to play on for 4 years or so. It had a brighter sound, blows very freely, great sound. I just know from my previous experience that .470 is too large for me…especially since I typically play larger mouthpieces.

For me, I preferred the 466’s sound and playability. But if you’re wanting a brighter horn that can be as powerful as your lungs can handle…the 470 is great for that job. The UK is basically the same feeling….just some slight upgrades like the heavy finger rings.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Eric, are you using lip or air vibrato?

For classical playing I use air.

For mariachi is use lip.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Eric.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: