• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

$4k+- to spend. Give me suggestions.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
ericmpena wrote:
Here’s a short video of the X-13. I can’t express how fun this horn it to play. Everything feels so even…and I feel like I don’t need much effort to play it. Phrasing is a piece of cake when the horn isn’t making you work hard.

You sound great and it seems like that Monette is a good fit. Everything sounds very balanced.

Actually this is still on my AustinWinds mouthpiece.
I received the Monette B1-7 and it was slightly too shallow. The tone was actually extremely different from all my other mouthpieces. I had a thin, almost airy sound with the B1-7….while my other mouthpieces give me a dark, rich sound.

I’m returning it to the music store for a refund and have already placed my order with Austin Custom Brass for their NY1 mouthpiece.

I’m sure there is a Monette size out there that’ll feel perfect, but it’s too much time and money trying to do a trial and error with their equipment.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
Not to be “that guy”, but did you try the pillars in different directions (screwed from bell end vs valve end) or screwed in at different depths? Both make a difference.

I had my doubts, but you're absolutely right. The direction of the pillar does matter and offers even more options.

This is what I've experienced.

Nickel towards valves: Brighter sound. Similar to a traditional trumpet. Perfect for classical playing.

Nickel towards bell: Same tone and brightness as above, but with less resonance.

Copper towards valves: Nice resonance. High notes still have some sizzle. Similar sound to using no pillar, but the notes have less spread and more core to them. My favorite setup so far.

Copper towards bell: Dark sound and no resonance. High notes don't have sizzle.

No pillar: You can feel vibrations going through the entire horn. The sound is big and wide...and it feels very similar to my old .470 bore horn. Lots of resonance.

Thanks for recommending me to try changing the directions on the pillars. It's unbelievable how versatile this horn can be.

-Eric
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
Getzen wrote:
Not to be “that guy”, but did you try the pillars in different directions (screwed from bell end vs valve end) or screwed in at different depths? Both make a difference.

I had my doubts, but you're absolutely right. The direction of the pillar does matter and offers even more options.

This is what I've experienced.

Nickel towards valves: Brighter sound. Similar to a traditional trumpet. Perfect for classical playing.

Nickel towards bell: Same tone and brightness as above, but with less resonance.

Copper towards valves: Nice resonance. High notes still have some sizzle. Similar sound to using no pillar, but the notes have less spread and more core to them. My favorite setup so far.

Copper towards bell: Dark sound and no resonance. High notes don't have sizzle.

No pillar: You can feel vibrations going through the entire horn. The sound is big and wide...and it feels very similar to my old .470 bore horn. Lots of resonance.

Thanks for recommending me to try changing the directions on the pillars. It's unbelievable how versatile this horn can be.

-Eric

I'm just picturing the fun you guys would have with a pendulum clock! (that's essentially what you are doing - pennies on the pendulum. Surprising the difference tuning the interferences can achieve!)

EDIT: hmmm, maybe I should have said "pennies and nickels"

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20

Last edited by OldSchoolEuph on Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pillars are something that really have to be experienced to believe. The number of people that roll their eyes at them has become humorous. We almost welcome it because their reactions after trying them are great.

Unfortunately you can get lost in the weeds playing around with them. When the system was first being developed we experimented with several different metals, lengths, and weights. All had varying degrees of influence on the horns, but it soon became apparent that there were just too many options. There was just too much tinkering to do. We had to narrow it down just to make it manageable.

Great playing. Enjoy the journey.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
AMADIS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
@goby: I also tested the Tumultus and, while I liked the build and all, it is a rather heavy horn and took quite an effort for me to get it to speak. Not saying it is a bad horn at all, but us (well, me) mere mortals could be better off with a less demanding horn. Out of Martins horns, I liked the Clarus best and Martin actually told me he’s never sold a Tumultus to an amateur player. ´Course he does not know who buys the horns in the distributors shops, but he was referring to direct sales from his workshop.

heavy ? do u know Tumultus weight around 1150 kg wich is less than a bach strad ...
AMADIS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation on Del Quadro. I’m checking out their website now.

As for the Tumultus, it looks like a fantastic horn, but I definitely don’t want something too heavy.

My current horn is 2lb 10oz (1200 grams).
I’ve played a horn that was 3lb 10oz and it was uncomfortable after about 20-30 minutes of holding it.
Ideally I would not want to go more than 3lbs at the most in total weight.

On a slightly other topic, I’ve never been a fan of gold plating…but I do have acidic hands and find that silver plate and lacquer do not hold up well. Is gold plated worth considering in your opinion?

lol but just check it out on the website its more reliable than random people in internet . Tumultus weight around 1150g wich is lighter than your current horn ...
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey AMADIS. Maybe, but I had my Bach with me and therefore have the direct comparison - from your post I would assume you don’t.

The Tumultus feels heavier and is harder to get to speak than my Bach.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: