• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

$4k+- to spend. Give me suggestions.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

We are getting in a factory b-stock X13 (well two of them actually but one is for permanent shop use) in soon (I think they are shipping today). You might want to call Josh 816-410-0826 x6 to reserve it.

The X13 is an incredible horn and frankly much more suited for what you are looking to do versus the A4.

Best regards from KC!

Trent

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
I tried one of DQ's horns recently and it was phenomenal. It felt so easy to play and had an amazingly rich sound.
+1...call Mike, you won't be disappointed!
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

austincustombrass wrote:
Eric,

We are getting in a factory b-stock X13 (well two of them actually but one is for permanent shop use) in soon (I think they are shipping today). You might want to call Josh 816-410-0826 x6 to reserve it.

The X13 is an incredible horn and frankly much more suited for what you are looking to do versus the A4.

Best regards from KC!

Trent

Thank you, Trent. I just replied to Josh’s email.
jhellerstein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
@jhellerstein.
Just wondering if you had played the Bach Commercial, and if so, how do the two horns (Bach/Edwards) relate to Mariachi playing?

I believe I playtested it alongside the A4, and liked it well enough -- it didn't leave me with a negative impression or anything. But it's been a few years and I don't remember any specifics.

Of the horns I've actually lived with over the years, I'd say the Getzen Severinsen was the brightest one that I've liked, might be great for Mariachi. But for $4K you can get something more interesting :-)
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to try a ton of horns at TMEA today and in the end I couldn’t get myself away from the Edwards X-13.

There’s really nothing else like it that I found on the convention floor today. It’s lightweight, extremely versatile, slots effortlessly, and the valves are smooth and whisper quiet.

On top of it playing fantastically well, I was able to get a huge discount since the horn was their B-Stock model….so it was a no-brainer.

I unfortunately stumbled upon that recent thread about Trent and his staff….and while it appears some negative things were said towards ACB, my personal experience today was that they are all honest, respectful, knowledgeable trumpeters who are thrilled about helping people like me find their dream equipment.

If anyone gets a chance to play test an Edwards X-13, I’d highly recommend it. And thank you to all of the commenters who recommended the X-13. You all steered me in the right direction!
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
I finally got to try a ton of horns at TMEA today and in the end I couldn’t get myself away from the Edwards X-13.

Congratulations! The X-13 is really a monster of a horn, especially if you like a full resonant "dark" sound. If i understood right you will use this trumpet for Mariachi music, am i right? I was wondering what mouthpiece you will use. Just curious. Best!
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

Congratulations! The X-13 is really a monster of a horn, especially if you like a full resonant "dark" sound. If i understood right you will use this trumpet for Mariachi music, am i right? I was wondering what mouthpiece you will use. Just curious. Best!

So right now I’m using an AustinWinds mouthpiece. 685D….which is obviously .685 diameter, deep cup.

I’ll probably get into a new mouthpiece after a month or so with the Edwards. I’ve never felt 100% comfortable with the AW mouthpiece. The Austin Custom Brass NY1 mouthpiece feels great, so that’s one option that I’m considering.

I just played my first gig (outdoors) with the Edwards and so far I have a lot more confidence in my playing than my other horn. I don’t feel like I have to concentrate on playing…instead I’m able to focus on things like articulation and style.

I have 2 more gigs today, indoors thankfully so I’ll be able to hear my sound on this horn a bit better.

Trent didn’t have the sound pillars with him at TMEA, so those are being shipped to me and should arrive tomorrow. But with no pillars I think the horn sounds great. Very curious to see if I’ll hear any difference.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:

Trent didn’t have the sound pillars with him at TMEA, so those are being shipped to me and should arrive tomorrow. But with no pillars I think the horn sounds great. Very curious to see if I’ll hear any difference.

Personally i'm not crazy about the pillars. DThey do change the sound and response of the trumpet but, for me, the x-13 it's at his best with no pillars. Is just nice to have it as an extra option. I've found the best response with a Curry 5c mouthpiece on this horn, or a 5Z for a more "zingin" sound but, as you know, mouthpiece is a very personal choice.
Have fun with the X-13, probably the best horn actually in the market.
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick video from my last gig of the night, which happened to also be the deadest sounding room of the day.

There was a sub on violin so I helped cover most of the violin parts as well as my usual trumpet parts. Typically I don't have to play THAT much in this song.

Anyways, it has a pretty mellow sound when you want it to. We were just background music here so the tone was what I wanted. I played at a nice, open wedding venue earlier in the day and the horn projected surprisingly well and sounded more like a traditional trumpet versus a dark, solo horn.

I found my chops got tired faster today, but that was probably because I was having so much fun that I didn't want to take the horn off my face!

This horn is just amazing. I'll have to get a better sounding video another time. Today I just wanted something quick so that I can be reminded of my first day with the X-13.

Cheers!

Link
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sound - very sweetly played!
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sound. Love that Mariachi style it reminds me on some passages of traditional italian music (i'm italian).
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
shofarrlw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: New Horn Reply with quote

Schagerl is always a great choice. Check out some of their horns. The quality is as good as any on the market.

Roger
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Are we still talking about a horn that will be played predominantly in Mariachi music?

Yes. Mariachi is what I play the most. Salsa comes after that.

I hate to say "the B word" but have you tried the Bach 19043B? It's a spectacular all around horn and "they" call it the "mariachi" model.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video sounds great! Congrats on the purchase. I am envious.

I'm sure there are other mariachi threads, but would love to hear as a player how you feel about playing the music on different types of instruments. I was skeptical about the "darker sound" concept, but actually I can see in mariachi you also have to blend a band, often in a small venue.

Also curious where you play. Is it mostly weddings? Restaurants? Banquets? Festivals?
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
ericmpena wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Are we still talking about a horn that will be played predominantly in Mariachi music?

Yes. Mariachi is what I play the most. Salsa comes after that.

I hate to say "the B word" but have you tried the Bach 19043B? It's a spectacular all around horn and "they" call it the "mariachi" model.

I have not tried the Bach Mariachi. They're pretty tough to find and are usually prices a bit more than I'm willing to pay.

Funny enough, Austin Custom Brass had a Bach Mariachi in stock and I had asked them to take it to TMEA for me to try. When I got to TMEA I was disappointed to find out that the horn had sold a week before. Come to find out that my good friend Mike (a mariachi in San Antonio) was the one who purchased the horn from Trent. I'll have to ask him for his thoughts on it and maybe a video once he has some more time on the horn. It looks very promising though.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
Video sounds great! Congrats on the purchase. I am envious.

I'm sure there are other mariachi threads, but would love to hear as a player how you feel about playing the music on different types of instruments. I was skeptical about the "darker sound" concept, but actually I can see in mariachi you also have to blend a band, often in a small venue.

Also curious where you play. Is it mostly weddings? Restaurants? Banquets? Festivals?

So for mariachi music I've found that the audience tends to prefer a darker, more blended ensemble sound as opposed to a loud, bright, sometimes piercing trumpet sound.
I've settled on my style of mariachi playing mostly based on (1) being classically trained and understanding the importance of an ensemble sound and (2) knowing what the audience finds pleasing to listen to.

Traditionally mariachi trumpet should be a brighter sound though. If I were playing in a larger mariachi group that mostly did concerts/stage performances and I had to play next to another trumpet player, I'd probably stick with something like a Bach for that tradition trumpet sound.

Most of my gigs are for a smaller sized mariachi (6 or less musicians)...and they're usually small, private events. (Weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, funerals, etc)

So that's my long way of saying that I love playing horns that are not typical in mariachi. While I lean towards a darker tone for most playing, I LOVE that the Edwards X-13 gives me more versatility and playability than any other horn I've played in the past.

I'll have to get a better recording of the horn in action. The recording I posted was literally just so I can have something to remember my first day with the horn.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that budget, I would get a lightly used, newer Artist model Yamaha and call it done.

Wouldn't even bother with anything else these days.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
With that budget, I would get a lightly used, newer Artist model Yamaha and call it done.

I don't know too much about Yamaha horns, but at TMEA I did try the Xeno and a Xero Artist model and actually preferred the non-Artist Xeno more.

Unfortunately I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time on the two Yamaha's since I couldn't get myself away from the Edwards X-13.

I can see why people love their Xeno's though. It was my second favorite horn next to the X-13.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raphael Mendez would be proud.

This just goes to illustrate how a different mpc and mental attitude can be a huge influence on the sound produced. Same horn, different sounds from other players.

Eric, I've got two questions:
Did you settle on a mouthpiece? I could have missed it, long thread, but curious.
You state that "My current horn is 2lb 10oz (1200 grams)". I wonder about the weight difference. How do you compare the Edward's weight to your previous horn?

Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
LaTrompeta wrote:

I don't know too much about Yamaha horns, but at TMEA I did try the Xeno and a Xero Artist model and actually preferred the non-Artist Xeno more.

Unfortunately I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time on the two Yamaha's since I couldn't get myself away from the Edwards X-13.

I can see why people love their Xeno's though. It was my second favorite horn next to the X-13.

I love my Yamaha NY but it wouldn't be my first pick for mariachi. X-13 sounds fantastic! I would also consider the Stomvi VR-II.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: