• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case for Large Bell/Bottom Caps

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
I've been messing around some more with getting the Torpedo to fit the Harrelson. I also asked on a Harrelson owners group about case choice and the Torpedo classic/outlaw were very common picks. Others with similar setups (3/4 or 1/2 inch caps with large diameter bells) seemed to have no problem getting the horn in a Torpedo.

Robson - I appreciate the info. Those are certainly some large horns, so if they can fit, I'm surprised I'm having issues with getting my horn in a Torpedo.

I can get the horn maybe half way into the case, and then it more or less 'stops.' It feels like I would really have press down hard to get the horn any further in. My normal sized horns slide right in and out with even less force then what's needed to get the Harrelson half way in.

Additionally, the bell looks like its sitting really far over. I'm not sure how it can fit as is, or how I can adjust my approach to get a better fit.

That doesn’t look like something I would try to do either. What about a Gard single (I didn’t go through this whole thread, maybe it’s been mentioned). I can’t imagine it would not fit in the Gard, which, with its suspension system and plastic sheeting, is pretty darn protective. It should be plenty long and deep enough. I think 🤔.

Brad
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked out the Gard a bit - a Gard double was ACB's recommendation to me. A number of other players local to me use Gard cases, so I was able to check one out in-person. The main issue I found was length - my regular Bb was a snug fit between the bell and bell crook pads.

The Harrelson is a smidge longer with an elliptical bell crook rather than a round one (long enough that it can't fit in a Marcus Bonna double), so I was concerned that it wouldn't be able to fit between the the bell/bell crook pads. With the very flexible nature of the case, it looked like removing one of the pads the get the horn to fit would significantly reduce how well the horn is protected. I also wasn't crazy about the soft style of the case it general. it may just be psychological, but I didn't feel nearly as comfortable with it compared to my hard shell cases.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have missed this, but have you looked at the Gard single, in leather?
No, it’s not specifically a hard shell, but I’m pretty comfortable using them, and I’m pretty darn cautious about my equipment.
And you probably realize this, but a horn can also be damaged in a “hard shell” case if it’s dropped and the horn shifts. Bottom line is there are no guarantees, and you also may have to factor in things like weight. That tank- like Pelican-type case can be a b**** if you have to schlep it a long way, like in an airport, or even from the outer parking lot at a country club gig (ask me how I know).😎

Brad
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I might have missed this, but have you looked at the Gard single, in leather?
No, it’s not specifically a hard shell, but I’m pretty comfortable using them, and I’m pretty darn cautious about my equipment.
And you probably realize this, but a horn can also be damaged in a “hard shell” case if it’s dropped and the horn shifts. Bottom line is there are no guarantees, and you also may have to factor in things like weight. That tank- like Pelican-type case can be a b**** if you have to schlep it a long way, like in an airport, or even from the outer parking lot at a country club gig (ask me how I know).😎

Brad

I'll definitely look more into the Gard single/other sizes. I plan on sending an email to ACB in order to provide some additional information and see what they think. It does sound like the Gard will be protective enough, though I would like a case that I could fly with if necessary. However, if the Gard works at this point I'd be happy to go with it.

I'm honestly amazed on my inability to fit the horn in a Torpedo Peacemaker. It seems like many people use them for large horns, but I just can't seem to make it work. After finagling the horn in the farthest yet, the bell is still overlapping the zipper. The case also wants to come with the horn when I try to remove it, and the amount of pulling and weight on the bell is something I'm not crazy about. I tried the pillow case idea, but just found that it created more friction - a satin/silk bag might be better, though I'm still not sure where the bell would go in the case.

Overall profile of the horn:

At this point, I'm considering the Gard cases, a Marcus Bonna Single (maybe a triple if absolutely needed), the ProTec Travel Light (though the bottom caps may overlap).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely would take the Torpedo as overhead, flight baggage. I definitely would not take the Gaard. While the Gaard would be O.K. in the overhead compartment baggage was just nicely put in there, all too often I have seen morons try to cram a suitcase, et al, into an overhead, and I'm not confident that a softer bag like a Gaard would be protective enough If I was going to put a horn in overhead, I would definitely use a hard case.

I think you could get a Pelican or similar equipment case to be cut to fit your horn perfectly.
https://nalpak.com/Pelican.html?msclkid=c7e36ce91f2719be6b9d0d2b5f4aeab7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CPCS%20-%20Text%20-%20Pelican%20Case&utm_term=pelican%20case&utm_content=Pelican%20Cases

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I definitely would take the Torpedo as overhead, flight baggage. I definitely would not take the Gaard. While the Gaard would be O.K. in the overhead compartment baggage was just nicely put in there, all too often I have seen morons try to cram a suitcase, et al, into an overhead, and I'm not confident that a softer bag like a Gaard would be protective enough If I was going to put a horn in overhead, I would definitely use a hard case.

I think you could get a Pelican or similar equipment case to be cut to fit your horn perfectly.
https://nalpak.com/Pelican.html?msclkid=c7e36ce91f2719be6b9d0d2b5f4aeab7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CPCS%20-%20Text%20-%20Pelican%20Case&utm_term=pelican%20case&utm_content=Pelican%20Cases

It definitely would be nice if I could fly with the case, though it's not an absolute requirement. I'm thinking the MB single might fare a bit better in protection and would likely be more 'flyable.' The Outlaw would certainly be best, if only it would fit the horn.

How does one get the foam in a Pelican case to be properly fit for a horn? I'm not sure how I could translate measurements from the horn into form that form-fits the horn. I'm also not crazy on the weight - a somewhat appropriately sized Pelican looks to be pushing 14lb with just foam. I think it may be a bit much for me.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd follow up, in the event anyone finds this thread for reference in the future. I ended up picking up a Gard Elite single in leather (thanks for the recommendation Brad361). I was considering the MB single due to it being a hard case, but Robson warned me that he had issues with larger bottom caps overlapping with the case. So, a Gard single it was.

After some arranging of the pads, I can confirm that the Harrelson's 3/4 inch bottom caps, 5.3 inch bell, and elliptical tuning slide and bell crook all fit in the case. The bell fit is a little tight, but there's still a good amount of horizontal space left in the case. The bottom caps do touch the bottom of the case, but the horn is still supported.

Positioning the bell support piece was somewhat annoying (I wish it was softer and fit to the bell a bit better). I also wasn't super impressed by the quality of the foam in the case. The Torpedo overall feels better built and higher quality, while also being US made and cheaper. That said, the Gard fits and seems protective enough, so I'll take what I can get. If you've got a larger horn that has issues fitting into a regular case, I would definitely recommend checking out the Gard Elite single.

Last edited by Phoenix864 on Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back on this, Phoenix, in case someone asks later.

Regarding the respective quality, you don't always get what you pay for, but you always don't get what you don't pay for.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a terrific case.
https://www.jlandressbrass.com/shop/Cases/p/1-ELKF-GARD-Elite---Single-Trumpet-Gig-Case-in-Black-Floater-Leather-x60204103.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: