• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harrelson SpectraTone Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmh737
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll add my 2 cents, with ACTUAL knowledge of the Spectratone.

I’m not a Harrelson Fan. I’m not against Jason either. I dropped $150 on the Spectratone Kickstarter. I figured that for that price if I don’t like it I could sell it and get my money back because quite honestly, it’s a great deal for what it is.
I’ve never owned any Harrelson products until now. So I had no preconceived notions about it.

But it is one of the finest pieces I have ever played.
The playability I’m getting from it is unlike anything I’ve ever played. Which includes: GR, Patrick, Curry, Multiple Warburton combinations, Stork, JetTone, DenisWick, Bach, Schilke, Laskey and I’m sure more that I’ve forgotten.
The weight adds great core to the sound. I can play soft and get a smooth sound, or really push it and scream up high. It plays perfectly in tune from top to bottom. And it has incredible flexibility with no break. The attacks are crisp & clean. I feel like I can play anything on this piece.

I know Jason gets a lot of ridicule in the trumpet community. I remember his early horns. They weren’t pretty that’s for sure. But you really should play his stuff before you comment.

This really is a nice piece and the match between the Spectratone and my Benge 3X+ is really working for me.

Dave
flat.io
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y-o-y wrote:
I hope this thread turns out at least as entertaining as the Monette Unity thread.

(heh-heh) Let's not rush things . . . they're still evacuating the wounded from that one.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
NRampmaiermusic

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmh737 wrote:
I know Jason gets a lot of ridicule in the trumpet community. I remember his early horns. They weren’t pretty that’s for sure. But you really should play his stuff before you comment.

The reason people don’t like him is how much of a snake oil sales man he is and how he tries to pawn things off. He makes extremely big claims with absolutely no evidence to back it up. He bashes on other people and players when he point that out.

I’m sure many people remember when he said Estaban Ballatan didn’t understand the trumpet…
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m sure many people remember when he said Estaban Ballatan didn’t understand the trumpet…

It is indeed possible that very fine players don't fully understand the nuts-and-bolts acoustics and mechanics of the system. It is also likely that instrument and mouthpiece makers don't either. This does NOT disqualify one from being a fine player OR instrument/mouthpiece maker.

But if one attempts to describe the physics of playing as an "air speed" phenomenon or doesn't understand the difference between air volume and air flow. You can take their "physics" with a grain of salt.
OtherJMitch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
y-o-y wrote:
I hope this thread turns out at least as entertaining as the Monette Unity thread.

(heh-heh) Let's not rush things . . . they're still evacuating the wounded from that one.

You oughta see the lotus gen 3 thread…
“They’re dead! They’re all dead!”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: