• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

broken spit-valve spring - big deal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: broken spit-valve spring - big deal? Reply with quote

Hello fellow trumpeters,

OK.. Yesterday I was practicing my improv abilities and as I emptied the spit valve I felt the spring break. I contacted manufacturer of the trumpet to know which springs to order so I can replace it.

However, the cork still weakly falls back over the hole, just with very little force. I continued playing but then stopped. But I am thinking I can play like this for a few days until the springs arrive. It doesn't seem like a big deal at all. I noticed zero difference in sound and functionality of the trumpet. Am I missing something or is this like not a bid deal at all?

thanks in advance.
~Arty
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if some air is not leaking out without the pressure from the spring. You can use a rubber band to hold the water lever in place and make it functional until the new spring arrives. But you aren't going to harm your horn or damage your chops if you live without the spring for a short while given that you don't notice a difference.
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanks, Dayton. I didn't think of a temp fix like the elastic. I have a million of those lying around the house. That should also help.

Regards,
~Arty
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be negative, but those springs can be pretty difficult to install without the proper tool, you might end up taking it by a local music store (hopefully one that sells brass instruments) to have it put on.

Brad
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

It's funny, in one of the YT videos the guy was like "this is easy just watch." And then proceeded to wrestle with the spring for a full 3 minutes before he got it on.

Well, the springs are cheap enough. I do all my own guitar stuff (mostly) and would like to be able to do trumpet stuff, but if I feel I am just going to make it worse I'll check online for a pro.

Thanks,
~Arty
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
You can use a rubber band to hold the water lever in place and make it functional until the new spring arrives..

This is an excellent suggestion, but if your horn is silver-plated, try to protect the finish against direct contact with the rubber -- rubber tends to blacken silver finishes.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncut new springs are not that hard to install but you might want to find a you-Tube video on it .

Where it gets tricky is re-installing an old spring that has had the long ends cut. There is a tool for that but I have used a piece of very small diameter hobby tubing bent into a "u".
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
... Where it gets tricky is re-installing an old spring that has had the long ends cut. ...

----------------------------------
Very true, when installing a new spring DO NOT pre-cut the legs - leave them long.
AFTER the spring is installed you can use a small side-cutter (it has to be good quality to cut springs).
I would only cut off enough so the legs don't poke your fingers - and be careful to not scratch the tubing.

While the key is off the horn is a good time to inspect the cork, and to replace it if needed.

There is probably enough tension on the unbroken spring leg to make an adequate air/water seal - the problem starts when both legs have broken.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company hasn't gotten back to me. How universal are these?

https://www.amazon.com/Baosity-Trombone-Trumpet-Baritone-Springs/dp/B07H98R8MK/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=spit+valve+spring+trumpet&qid=1639165102&sr=8-8

I am thinking of just buying the bunch and taking my chances

~Arty
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Andy Cooper wrote:
... Where it gets tricky is re-installing an old spring that has had the long ends cut. ...

----------------------------------
Very true, when installing a new spring DO NOT pre-cut the legs - leave them long.
AFTER the spring is installed you can use a small side-cutter (it has to be good quality to cut springs).
I would only cut off enough so the legs don't poke your fingers - and be careful to not scratch the tubing.

While the key is off the horn is a good time to inspect the cork, and to replace it if needed.

There is probably enough tension on the unbroken spring leg to make an adequate air/water seal - the problem starts when both legs have broken.

Most common cutters are designed for soft metal like copper. The wire from a spring will destroy this kind of cutter. Make sure you use one that's rated for steel wire.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecafdrib wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Baosity-Trombone-Trumpet-Baritone-Springs/dp/B07H98R8MK/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=spit+valve+spring+trumpet&qid=1639165102&sr=8-8

~Arty

3 things about that link.

1. It ships from China, so it's way faster to go to a shop.

2. The arch part of the spring is fairly short, and sometimes doesn't work well with some brands.

3. There are a fair amount of loops on the coils, so the spring may not fit inside the waterkey saddle. Trumpet keys need only 1 or 2 coils. These keys look like they are for trombone
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
ecafdrib wrote:

~Arty

2. The arch part of the spring is fairly short, and sometimes doesn't work well with some brands.

3. There are a fair amount of loops on the coils, so the spring may not fit inside the waterkey saddle. Trumpet keys need only 1 or 2 coils. These keys look like they are for trombone

Hello,

Ok. I ended up getting this one in the link below.

Yes, many would say I should go to a trumpet shop or a store. I don't usually go to stores first thing. I like to see if I can do it first. I got the below ones instead, whereas they match in size the ones I have on it now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085L2JV97/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get the new spring tension exact so it will blow and feel like your old spring. Imo the most under spoken about things is how spring changes can change the whole playability of the horn
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecafdrib wrote:
Divitt Trumpets wrote:
ecafdrib wrote:

~Arty

Hello,

Ok. I ended up getting this one in the link below.

Yes, many would say I should go to a trumpet shop or a store. I don't usually go to stores first thing. I like to see if I can do it first. I got the below ones instead, whereas they match in size the ones I have on it now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085L2JV97/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those should work, and the way the legs are bent means you may not need to trim them. They are very close looking to the Yamaha spring.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a small amount of plumber's putty (does not dry out, pliable, does not leak, easy to remove) to plug the waterkey hole until you get around to installing the new spring.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are hard to get back on. I took one off to clean a trumpet I bought and it was almost impossible to get back on. I didn't know there was a tool that repair techs use. I have one that I want to change and will take to a repair tech.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use safety glasses!

The tool is essentially a short fork, or a narrow cylinder bored near the tip perpendicularly to the major axis.

Alternatively, for springs that have two straight parallel legs at the end, use the D49 jig made by Ferree's Tools.

As illustrated by Dawkes Music:

Link

As illustrated by Edwards Instruments Co.:

Link
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I ended up getting these ones in the link below. Replacing it was easy in theory but it took me some time to get the pins, holes and spring all to agree and line up for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085L2JV97?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Thanks everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: