• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

good quality cup mute

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
Do you have the "A" - straight Shastock style body or the "B" tapered one? You seem to have a few cups you've tried. Any thoughts on the Soulo?

I have the "A" style, which exactly matches the shape and size of my Shastock cup mute body. I don't recall the "B" style body being an option when I purchased mine, but I would have purchased the "A" either way.

Regarding the Soulo, it offers a different take on the cup mute sound. It isn't trying to be a Shastock or Ray Robinson. I think it is nice to have a different (sound) color option. As a minor gripe, I find that the design of the Soulo makes it harder to get in and out of the horn quickly (than other adjustable mutes) without changing the position of the cup unless it is slid forward to be snug against the bell.

Another fine option for the mute inventory is a Clary adjustable wood cup mute. Beautiful mutes with a nice, even sound. Tom Clary offers round or scalloped cups to give you even more sound options. Perhaps not a first choice to use in a section of H&B cup mutes, but a really nice option for solos or small ensemble playing.

Thanks for your wealth of opinions on these!

Cup mute is really the only mute I enjoy the sound for the most part. I don't play a lot of solo stuff anymore, but I do like having nice sounds at my disposal. I would have killed for the options I have now back when I was playing and performing more literature in college in recitals and such.

I've eye the Clary mutes as well. I played Facet mutes about a decade ago at the local ITG and thought they were great. Wasn't playing much back then, so I didn't get anything.

Anyway, thanks for your insight!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plankowner110 wrote:
The Humes & Berg cup mute is the industry standard and has been for over 75 years.

This. I've had others - chiefly Dennis Wicks that were issued to me from various Army bands - but the Humes & Berg Stone Lined gets it done with a good sound, and there's really no "need" to look further or spend more. That's what's currently in my mute bag.

Someone commented about trying to match whatever else the rest of the section was playing. I see this as something that in most circumstances just simply isn't relevant. Most players in your average amateur ensemble are going to sound substantially different without mutes, which is beside the point that from a sonic perspective, it's just not going to matter or be noticed by anyone not specifically listening for it, if it can be noticed at all.

If you're in a top-tier orchestra, by all means, play the same mute - that's one circumstance where it might actually matter.

Otherwise, buy whatever your little heart desires, but don't get fooled into thinking that your extra-special gluten-free, non-GMO, free-range mute formed from heat-pressed wheat grass and hyde glue that cost $350 is going to be inherently any better than the typical $25 H&B Stone Lined.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going with the Soulo adjustable cup mute. It immediately became my favorite mute, easy to play with. Stays in tune. I like it even more than my Jo-Ral Harmon. But they are also two very different sounds.

Thanks again
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owned them all, except for the Clary wooden mutes. (I have owned the Warburton version, though. Nice subtle color options with these.)

My top pick...

Harmon J2-A
Trumpet Cup Mute, Adjustable
https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trumpet/accessories/mutes/cup_mutes/products/sku093279-harmon-j2a-trumpet-cup-mute-adjustable.php

It has removable felt padding as a tonal option and is great for added resistance, plus, it is quieter around "sensitive string players" when warming up for a chamber music setting. Mr. Cichowicz liked using a cup mute for warming up, but at that time, the H&B was the main thing on the market. I used the Denis Wick adjustable cup mute for years for musical theatre shows, until I discovered the Harmon J2-A, which I much prefer for many reasons, the main one being more overtones in the sound...just a better overall timbre to my ears. It seems to come closer to the traditional H&B sound, also. I know this will step on toes, but I have never liked the tonal profile of the H&B...too sterile sounding...but that's what became the main cup mute for years and years, and we should never challenge tradition. Period.

Okay, too much contradiction above. To further clarify or confuse..."choose wisely, my son"...I never have liked the H&B, but I like the Harmon J2-A, and even though the latter is similar (and seems to blend fairly well with the Stonelined cup), the Harmon company cup mute seems to have more "character" officially approved by the two things on the side of my head, which my wife reminds me I should engage carefully every time she opens her mouth. (Like that would ever happen.)
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the Humes & Berg cup mute still sounds the best. The fact that it is less expensive is a plus.

And the corks need to be filed not just for the sound, but for the pitch. As the corks are filed, the mute goes deeper into the bell and the pitch rises. The mute usually starts out a little flat to allow for this adjustment.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecafdrib wrote:
I ended up going with the Soulo adjustable cup mute. It immediately became my favorite mute, easy to play with. Stays in tune. I like it even more than my Jo-Ral Harmon. But they are also two very different sounds.

Thanks again

I seriously doubt that it completely stays in tune, as in it doesn't affect the general pitch of the instrument - it may not be much - easy enough to lip in for the passage being played, and to the point where you may not notice, but it's probably changing at least a little bit. It almost has to - the moment you jam a mute into the bell of the instrument, a few things happen:

1.) You change the amount of felt resistance, which in turn...
2.) changes the general blow and feel of the horn
3.) You change how the bell resonates

All of that is going to affect the pitch of the horn.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Clary wood mutes. I have the variety after trying them at ITG a few years back minus the practice model. They speak so easily, are light in weight, and the tuning and blow is great. Gives you the muted timbre desire with out muting your overall volume too much. Also easier to play softer if you are too loud than to play louder if you are too soft with a mute in my opinion.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own quite a few different brands. On gigs, I used a slightly modified Stone Line. I trimmed the rim of the cup to just above the metal ring and sanded the corks so that it fits into the bell as far it will go without hitting the bell. My trumpet teacher in high school, John Coppola, showed me this back in the seventies and this has been my go to cup mute ever since. All the metal cup mutes I have played seem to have sort of a metallic sound to them although I really like the Stomvi solid copper cup mute with the adjustable cup, but it is really heavy. My hands down favorite is the Clary. It has the best sound and playability of any of the cup mutes I have played. However, it is so beautiful, it never leaves the house. Although off topic, the Clary solotone is hands down the best solotone I have ever played.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutes can become such a tricky issue, because most composers know the sound that they want but do not know exactly what type of mute will give them what they imagine in their mind. Within any mute "type," the palette of sounds can become seemingly endless.

Sometimes, you just need to use the mute or sectional mute combination that works best with the music. (For example, I recall once that our lower trumpet/cornet parts just choked when playing a series of below-the-staff low notes with cup mutes; so, we changed them to straights and they blended wonderfully with the upper parts played on cups).

For cup mutes, I recently became quite jealous of my daughter's new Tom Crown adjustable cup mute which gives her a really nice sound and good intonation.

I have a standard (fixed) aluminum cup mute from Tom Crown, and it does most of the classical jobs well due to having sufficient projection without the need to raise your dynamic level to get heard over the non-muted instruments around you. For any aluminum cup mute, you can take the metallic "edge" from higher overtones off of it considerably by placing a simple handkerchief or rag in the cup to dampen those overtones.

Recently, I heard a rehearsal of my son's high school trumpet section playing cups and they sounded choked and terribly out of tune. I suggested they make a simple adjustment between the rim of the cup and the bell and to remember to lip down the pitch to stay in tune with the rest of the ensemble, and these two small adjustments made a huge difference during their concert.

Someone should write a comprehensive guide on mute types and mute use, because we likely lose innumerable mute insights as each generation passes.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been using a Wick adjustable cup mute for many years, but was never completely happy with the blend I got with other trumpets in the section who were primarily using the Humes & Berg cup mutes. In addition, the Wick mute inserts quite far into the bell of my recently aquired Taylor Chicago Jazz 46, and is too tight to the bell. I recently got a Soulo adjustable cup mute from ACB, and am much happier with the fit of the mute, the more open blow, and the sound I get with the mute...including the blend with the other trumpets.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: