• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Selmer B700 questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Selmer B700 questions Reply with quote

So I bought recently a Selmer B700 tuning bell trumpet (ebay Germany)and I can't find any information concerning this trumpet (I wrote to Selmer Paris with no succes). On the bell is apart from the logo only a B and under that a big L.
The bell seems to be red- or goldbrass (is a little bit pink).
So I believe it's a largebore instrument. Serialnumber 68222, I think 1978.
Does anybody:
- know the exact bore of this trumpet?
- know whether the heavy caps of the Concept TT will fit my B700?
Or other heavy caps?
- And has anybody such a heavy cap for trade?
(I only need one for the third valve, that will be enough I presume).
- have a spare bell (other than mine) he or she wants to trade?

It's an unbelievable trumpet, even a lousy trumpetplayer like myself is able to create a very deep and broad sound on this exceptional instrument. The compression of the first valve is doubtful, I ordered new springs because the valves are heavily bouncing.
The laquer is transparant and looks a little worn out.
Is it recommended to remove the laquer completely and relaquer it?
Everything is welcome, greetings, Franklin Delano Kiewiet, Holland
freud311
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a C700 it is the same instrument in C. Very good trumpet but mine have problem with the compression in the valves. The L means large. The bell is red brass with side seam. My bell stamped 43 where it connect with the valve section. I am looking also for a smaller bell (in c ) and thinking if it is worth to replate the valves. They leak to much..
jazzavac0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
L is 0,462"
I have two B700 ML bore trumpets. No tuning bell. One is completely without laquer and second is in near mint condition. First sounds better.
jazzavac0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, L bore is 0.468"
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a student with one a few years ago, terrific horn, and I think he paid only $600 for it.

A couple of years ago, there was a tuning bell one in the US being sold a few times; passed like a hot potato...

cheers

Andy
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:

A couple of years ago, there was a tuning bell one in the US being sold a few times; passed like a hot potato...

cheers

Andy
Because it was no good or much sought after??

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both B700Lfixed L and C700 with ML yellow and L rose brass bells, carefully measuring bore of 2nd and 1st slide inner of both is 0.460".
Bb serial no 687xx, C 673xx, so yours was made inbetween mine.

The rose bell has no number on the tail, and C and L under the logo and appears identical to the Bb bell taking measurements at 5 points along the taper. The ML bell has 40 on the tail and the overall length to the back of the bow is 1" shorter. There is a difference of 10 cents between the 2 bells in the tuning.

I prefer to call them interchangeable bells rather than tuning as I cannot detect any difference in tuning by main slide or bell, it is more trouble to undo 2 screws to adjust and retighten.

The bottom caps from a Concept TT have an internal thread will not fit B700 with an external thread, I do not know of a heavy cap for the older Selmers. I have a spare cap that I would be prepared to modify with a weight for you to try, I have a set of heavy caps for my TT, the biggest difference I have found it makes the horn heavier and more tiring on a long gig.

Regards, Stuart.
freud311
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my C700 there is much difference in the tuning by bell. If I tune it by slide the high Eb and E in the staff are significantly lower. It is the same as the reversed leadpipes on C but with much more impact as there is no gap in the tuning slide. The scale is very good and I don't even think about the usual intonation problems on C trumpets.
My problem with this trumpet is that is to open. The bell is very big and red brass. I think that if it were smaller and yellow brass the horn would be much liver with more projection. I suppose that the only think that makes me play this instrument is the venturi is very small. I never measure it but it seams that is near to .340 (my Bb is the 8310Z venturi .341) Does anyone know where I can find a bell (smaller) for this model?
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a B700 that plays great and it big. The bell say L on it. Big bell.
The bore is 463 at the second and first slides, but 460 on the main tuning slide legs. Bach and Blackburn tuning slides fit it. I made a round radius slide with a 462 crook, and 460 legs and it does not play nearly as well as the semi round slide it came with. So I’m guessing the stock slide has a 460 crook and legs. So the difference between the L and Ml looks like it is the bell and the valve block but not the tuning slide. The horn plays huge because the Venturi is a whopping 359! The pipe is a different color more like nickel, but it has tinted lacquer on it. The valve have the rounded tops that are nice once you get used to it. I am wondering if Maurice Andre ever used the Bb. I see some album covers where he has the tuning bell C700 C trumpet.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
freud311
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to believe that the venturi of my C700 was small close to my 8310Z but it is huge as I find out much later. However every time I blow this instrument I immediately feel at home in terms of blowing and I suppose that it have to do with the very open feel and the big verturi. It also the same with a B700 I have. The only thing that bothers me with these instruments is that the sound is to dark and I lack projection. I don't know if that comes from the open blowing or the very big red brass bell but for me if I had better projection and brighter sound I would use them for sure. The only instrument I tried once in the past many years ago and was like that with a brighter sound it was a Claude Gordon Benge.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano - I was looking at Reverb and came across an ad for heavy caps and they claim to fit the 700. See link.
Ron

https://reverb.com/item/31349237-trumpet-trim-kit-for-selmer-paris-k-mod-700-deville-heavy-raw-brass?bk=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJqdGkiOiIzNDc0Zjk5OC1mOTUyLTQyZjUtOWJhZi05NmQ4MzI0MmJkMzYiLCJpYXQiOjE1OTIwNTQzODcsInVzZXJfaWQiOiIiLCJzZXNzaW9uX2lkIjoiIiwiY29va2llX2lkIjoiZDAxZTgzYjAtM2YxZi00YzRjLTgyMjktYTFlYzI0Zjk0NTZhIiwicHJvZHVjdF9pZCI6IjMxMzQ5MjM3In0.qeiFsT0MNG50PuH0trNAktvfiOtnnul1E4JGZpB-Ho4
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I bought the Mark Curry CCAPS model K for K-modified and Radial trumpets, they are a perfect fit for the B700. I only use one on third valve, excellent result.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it do on the third casing? Sound? Feel?
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing is that the added weight makes the horn much more stable in feel, slotting and sound. In fact the horn has no bracing and felt very wild to me. I think that as a horn is in good balance, adding weight will not do much to improve it. But the B700 tb is in my view missing that balance. Adding weight by a heavy cap and by a more heavy mouthpiece worked for me great. My teacher then, who had no trust at all in this kind of tweaks was astonished about the difference it made.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Delano
Mine is not tuning bell. It’s solid and not wild. As a matter of fact I’m doing some experiments of making “integrated” backbores that blend seamlessly into the lead pipe with no gap and am using the B700 and some others to do the research on its working great on the b700 so far. I will make a heavy cap tomorrow just as experiment
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Tony125

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a B700 here, since many years (2004). No tuning bell, just fixed and also no need for any extra caps.

These are great instruments afaik, really underrated and rarely spoken about or reviewed.

You still have it and play it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: