• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High Note Routines

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayhandri6859

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: High Note Routines Reply with quote

I am a high school trumpet player, and I am considering taking trumpet into college and potentially beyond there. I am more interested in jazz/improvisation than classical though. Unfortunately, right now, I seem to have hit a barrier at a high Bb to a high C (I can play the Bb comfortably while the C starts to stretch things). I've been in this spot for many months now and I really want to extend my range. Do any of you have good high-range routines for me to follow over my winter break? I have a complete lull in trumpet playing for the next 3 weeks, and I'd like to use this break to my advantage.
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems at those notes are common and almost always caused by the production and/or flexibility of the notes below it not being good enough.

Instead of trying to go higher, work lower. something like playing a 1 or 2 octave G scale with a tuner and get that starting and top of the staff G in tune, easy, and where you can come back down the octave. If that top G is really quality the C will be there, after that go learn all the Clarke book. then you can worry about higher notes.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Overcome by events."

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anyone can give you something to do in a 3 week time frame to expand your range.
It is a difficult situation being in high school, where you can't really take breaks, and you don't want setbacks. However, if you are serious about it, you should do whatever is needed to get progress, and put your trust in a teacher.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with this, preferably in the morning before you leave for school, or maybe right when you get to school if you have time to get in the band room before your first class: https://www.gregwingtrumpet.com/uploads/2/1/4/0/21407028/20_minute_routine_revised_june_2013.pdf

There is nothing magical about that material -- it's just a good, solid fundamental routine. Once you have that solid and do it daily move on to some of the other material Mr. Wing has posted:

Long Tones
Clarke #1
Schlossberg (In order posted on his site)
Expanding Scales

Also, go back to your beginner method - Essential Elements, Traditions of Excellence, etc - and start with #1 playing everything an octave up.

This is NOT a quick thing. You are in this for the long haul. The goal is NOT to develop high notes, but to become a solid, all-around player. The high notes are a byproduct of that.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above advice seems solid. What helped me is playing scales over 2 octaves, starting at F below the staff and working your way up 1 note at a time. But like mafields said, it's something to work on and expand on over time.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Matt. I made a comeback in 2016 after a 50 year hiatus and the Greg Wing 20 minute routine has been a daily part of my morning ever since. It works, but only if you do it every day.
Along with this I expand my morning practice with alternating exercises such as long tones, 2 octave key scales, 2 octave intervals, etc. All told my morning routines runs about 45 minutes.

In the afternoons I play a dozen or more ballads and what not daily for about an hour.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Matt wrote.

Within your routine, your daily practice, include work on reinforcing tone & technique, with work on improving all aspects of playing-including range.

Range won't hold you back as much as lack of control over what notes you have.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to find a teacher who can give you some direction. If you are serious about playing the trumpet, this is not the place.

PM me with your location and I'll find a good teacher for you.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
You need to find a teacher who can give you some direction. If you are serious about playing the trumpet, this is not the place.

PM me with your location and I'll find a good teacher for you.

----------------------------------------------
Yes, getting 'direction' about playing of high notes is very important - because there is much more skill needed in HOW you form and use your embouchure.

And the 'skill' must be learned by you. Especially if your current trouble with high notes is use of excessive mouthpiece pressure, or excessive lip compression / stretching.
High notes are about skill, not brute muscle force.

Your lip (usually the upper) must be able to vibrate at the desired pitch (flexible and in the appropriate position), and you must be able to make air flow to activate the vibrations.

Your mouthpiece is NOT the limiting factor - it's your lack of technique to enable a vibrating lip.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the "daily routine " approach.

If you want to make a 3 week transition you neet ro take the engine apart and rebuild it. Running around the track dally with what habits you have likely will accomplish nothing related to your goals. You will come out of your 3 weeks with no change or worse.

Take a few days off FIRST. Contact me an I will show you how to proceed. This 3 weeks could be a great opportunity IF you proceed in a particular way.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will summarize what others have said and try to give my 2 cents.

Playing more efficiently in the middle register will help you access the upper register. You can achieve this efficiency by first ensuring you have a balanced daily routine. The Greg Wing 20 min routine is a good start. You can use this as a template to build on. You should also be employing the rest as much as you play concept.

The second thing you probably need to do is examine how you are trying to play those notes above the staff. Are you tensing up, clamping down with you lips, overblowing or using too much pressure? No of us has seen or heard you play. You probably need some lessons with someone to help you out figure that out.

As for exercises/methods that can help:

Clarke Technical Studies has exercises that go up to at least F above high C. Check out exercise number 5. You can also use chromatic exercise number 1. Although it tops out at high C, you can use the concept and take it higher. The key for these and other range related exercises is to not force the notes. And stop after 2 or 3 tries to reach the note.

Pops Mclaughlin has an Arban that also has exercises written above high C. He gives it away for free. Do an internes search and you can find his website.

Some methods to check out:

Augie Hass - Build you Range (this one is cool because it has backing tracks)

David Hickman - Trumpet Lessons With David Hickman, Vol. III: Embouchure Development -- Power, Endurance, Upper Register Register

David Hickman - Beyond the C

Alan Vizzutti - High Notes

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of information compiled here:

https://www.trumpetperformancetips.com/trumpethighrange.html
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@RusselDixon
Thanks, very interesting and a kind of vaccination against dogmatism!
I like this picture :
https://www.trumpetperformancetips.com/ScottEnglebrightHighRangeTrumpetTips.html
If you add Maurice Andre to the picture with Maynard, it seems you don’t need to be a marathon runner to play the trumpet and use the abdos!
Regards
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who struggled with higher notes for a very long time - i.e. didn't feel like I reliably owned any note over the staff, for myself it was more about finding the "trick", being keenly aware of the specifics of what's going on when I play than doing endless range-building exercises.

I suggest posting video of yourself playing to the top of your range to give some idea of what you're doing.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
As someone who struggled with higher notes for a very long time - i.e. didn't feel like I reliably owned any note over the staff, for myself it was more about finding the "trick", being keenly aware of the specifics of what's going on when I play than doing endless range-building exercises.

I suggest posting video of your self playing to the top of your range to given some idea of what you're doing.
That is correct. Expanding the range doesn't usually come from practicing routines. Once you have discovered the notes through thoughtful experimentation, then routines can help solidify your accuracy, tone, and dynamic ability up there.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many others before, the OP has not been back for a while -- maybe he has already received all the help he needs!

But it would be interesting to hear back about situations such as this - just for us to learn whether anything positive has happened, and what it was.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks, very interesting and a kind of vaccination against dogmatism!

I'm curious. What dogmatism are you referring to?
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dogmatism from people that think there is only one way to go to Rome…
Happy new year.
Ghostly Bugler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
Start with this, preferably in the morning before you leave for school,https://www.gregwingtrumpet.com/uploads/2/1/4/0/21407028/20_minute_routine_revised_june_2013.pdf
This is NOT a quick thing. You are in this for the long haul. The goal is NOT to develop high notes, but to become a solid, all-around player. The high notes are a byproduct of that.

Thanks for this - really useful resource.a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: