• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Good semi-pro/ intermediate all around playing horn?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any suggestion for about 800-1000$ budget.... used semi-pro or new intermediate horn?

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha 6310Z is an extremely versatile horn in that price range. With the release of the 8310Zs almost here, the old models have become a real bargain. At one point, Washington Music was selling new Zs at $850. I think that they sold out.

Dave
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get great deals on Besson Internationals on eBay. It is a intermediate level that many think is as good as a lower level pro horn.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have no personal experience with Jupiter, I keep hearing about how good the new Jupiter XO Tribune trumpet is supposed to be. The Woodwind and Brasswind has those for $789, I believe. There is a recent thread here about the XO horn.

Also, you might look for a Getzen Eterna.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that price is accurate on the XO - go for it - a superb trumpet. Played one at the end of last year, very impressed.

For that money it will be very hard to beat.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the XO the same as the Model 1200S? if so, that is the correct selling price from the Fall/Winter WWBW 2003 catalog...

The 1200S is the listed professional Jupiter model. It is called a Tribune, I believe. There is also a model with an upturned bell.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $800-1000 you can easily find a good used Bach or Yamaha. Either of those options would be FAR, FAR superior to any intermediate or quasi-professional instrument. Intermediate instruments are the biggest rip-off going, DO NOT buy one.
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Intermediate horns, although not necessarily bad, are nothing more then Student-horns with extra features.

I've been hearing ALOT of good praise about the Kanstul KTR 700. Hand made, plays as good as or better then a Bach Strad, and the silver-plated sells for $650.

http://www.kanstul.net/images/instruments/kmodel/ktr700m.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Arainach
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a used Olds. (Not the horns currently being produced under that name. The Olds Super, Recording, Opera, Ambassador, Mendez, etc. - search the forums a bit for a complete list). I've played Ambassador trumpets and cornets, and a Recording and Super trumpet. The Ambassadors played better than any student lines I've ever seen (even Yamaha student models, which are pretty good). Their Pro models (everything else) are all wonderful all-around horns. I don't think I've ever seen one reach $800. Wonderful horns, and in terms of bang for the buck, probably the best around.
Annie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, my bach strad only had a price tag of $999! And it plays pretty well!

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*
Lo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I agree with one of the posters above. You could buy a used Pro Horn for the same amount of money. Or if like me, Just playing recreational and don't have that kind of money go for a Kanstul! The 700 is good. I have the 900 which I love and my teacher loved playing it aswell. So good luck!
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kanstul 700 is an awsome horn for the money! I've played several 700, all were consistant, and was I impressed with all of them, too. Personally, I think they give you the "Best Bang For Your Buck". No ill intent to you Lo, but I kind of like the 700's over the 900's personally myself, that's just my opinion. Please don't take that personally.

As for pricing of the 700's, I THINK 700 in Lacquer goes for around $650 and the 700 in silver goes between $725-$750. I know Pair of Kings (PiCK Music) has several in stock at her shop and would be glad to ship you one out if you're serious. I'd give her a call and talk with her on the exact pricing and any questions: http://www.PiCKmusic.net

Good Luck,

Kanstul 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
Connstellation 38B
Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.
www.measureofgrace.com
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jupiter XO Tribune is a pro horn, not an intermediate.

Dave
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-10 19:17, DaveH wrote:
Is the XO the same as the Model 1200S? if so, that is the correct selling price from the Fall/Winter WWBW 2003 catalog...

The 1200S is the listed professional Jupiter model. It is called a Tribune, I believe. There is also a model with an upturned bell.

The Tribune XO is the 1600 series. That's the one I reviewed in another thread.

Dave
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend either a new Yamaha 6310Z or a new King Silver Flair 2055T, depending on the type of trumpet you want.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Downunder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I tried sending you a private message but there appears to be a problem with your email. I was doing this to avoid the inevitable posts by a small minority around here who have nothing better to do!

HOWEVER

http://www.zacharymusic.com/Zachary_Music/NewTrumpets.htm

If you do a search on the Trumpet Herald you will find all sorts of things written about ZeuS, however I'll save you the time and say that those who have actually played the trumpets agree they are excellent value for money.

The ZeuS Guarnerius trumpets start at US$950 brand new and they are a very good instrument.

I am a ZeuS dealer here in Australia so can't help you out, however if you look at the dealers listed on the home page for Zachary Music you may find one who is near you and can give you one to try. Alternatively, the shop is in Windsor Ontario (and I've no idea how far that is from you!!)

All the best,

Stephen Williams
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add a "second" to some of the suggestions above. I would check in to a used Strad, Kanstul horns, or a ZeuS G. I have a Strad and a Kanstul Chicago and love them both. I've never tried a ZeuS, but the majority of the reviews I've read have been pretty good, you'd need to try one out and see how you like it. Another alternative would be to hunt for a used Olds on ebay -- Rich Willey (BeboppinFool) swears by them. Depending on what options you want, you might be able to get any one of these horns for under US$1000.

If you're going the Kanstul route, I second the suggestion to contact PiCK Music. You can reach Priscilla here by PM-ing "PiCK Kanstul" on this very web site. If you go the ZeuS route, make sure you understand the total cost you might incur if you purchase a horn on a trial basis.

I don't have any experience with the Yamaha horns, so I can't make any fair comments about them pro or con.

Happy Hunting,

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: