• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Are there trumpets so bad they are good?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Are there trumpets so bad they are good? Reply with quote

I was wondering if there are any trumpets that, while not being first class or suitable for a symphony have a particular unique sound and tone that makes them interesting and desirable.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there trumpets so bad they are good? Reply with quote

TriumphantTrumpeter wrote:
I was wondering if there are any trumpets that, while not being first class or suitable for a symphony have a particular unique sound and tone that makes them interesting and desirable.

I would drop the "not being first class" phrase. There were/are many professional trumpets that had/have a distinctive sound but are not suitable for today's orchestras.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpets with things such as misaligned valves, leaks, dings, bends, can have interesting playing qualities. For example, if your waterkey is leaking air, it can yield some interesting flexibilities particularly above the staff, but it will be frustrating to play a single note with a solid compact tone. So yes, defective trumpets can be interesting and somewhat desirable but I'd rather have a blank canvas that is reliable to work with. Another example, a plastic trumpet or plastic mouthpiece can have a very lovely warm sound, however, it is limiting in other ways and likely not appropriate for a lot of situations.
Last example, I like playing on stuffy student model horns for fun. They can sound really cool and bright when you step on the gas. However, once again, I prefer the reliability of my normal setup overall.
A modern car is much easier to drive, safer, and more efficient than an old Ford Mustang, but the Mustang is cool and unique. Instruments can be similar.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of trumpets that are "unsuitable" for symphony orchestra that may be excellent for a soloist or a musician playing a different genre. Most symphony players wouldn't dare play a Calicchio 1s/2 on a Mahler symphony, but that same horn is the de facto choice for LA Studio musicians and lead trumpet players. Trumpets with unique sounds can be very powerful tools in the hands of great musicians. In my opinion, a "characteristic sound" is one of the highest achievements an instrument maker can have (e.g. Bach, Calicchio, Martin, Monette). Whether or not that sound is appropriate for the situation is up to the musician.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same goes for vintage trumpets, which were built for a different sound concept. I have a liberty that I like, but it probably wouldn't be appropriate for a modern orchestra.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
The same goes for vintage trumpets, which were built for a different sound concept. I have a liberty that I like, but it probably wouldn't be appropriate for a modern orchestra.

I might be able to get away with a Liberty in the community band, but I sure couldn't in the college wind band back in the day.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In production?

I tempted to name a bunch of heavy high end trumpets, but no, that wouldn't be fair. They're great trumpets, just different.

The best example I can come up with is the Meazzi trumpet Woody Shaw played. I had one for a couple of years and even though it clearly was meant to be a professional trumpet model with the gold plate, the fancy engravings and other stylish details, most people wouldn't have used it because of its rather different sound and intonation, but Woody did with great success.

Those vintage trumpets mentioned are also good quality trumpets, just different and that's not what you were asking about.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent Austin made a video on a horn that sounded just fantastic, but by his own account was borderline unplayable because of the lack of compression.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
suitable for a symphony

Very odd question in my way of thinking. That is a pretty specialized world. Sort of like asking about cornets that don't make it in a British Brass Band.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks what I meant was not only 'first water' professional instruments but instruments across the entire spectrum from 'student' to 'pro' and all points in-between.

Some years ago I happened to have two clarinets - An old Boosey and Hawkes Edgeware and an orchestral Buffet Crampon R13. The Edgeware cost me £45 or about thirty US dollars and the R13 was a 'professional' quality instrument that retailed at about fourteen hundred pounds or around two thousand dollars at the time. Although I was only tinkering with these instruments at the time when I picked up the Edgeware it really screamed and was a hoot to play. It wanted to play jazz and be wild but the R13 was so precise and accurate and creating a very clear accurate tone but without a unique 'voice' like the old rough boosey and Hawkes. I have found the same with guitars and other types of instruments I have owned over the years too. Some are brilliant tools that do a job very precisely while others wail and growl and have that indefinable quality that gives them a life of their own. I guess you could say the difference between Elvis and an Opera singer.

I am interested to know what trumpet makes and models may also have this quality about them.
kristiner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked to play a traditional piece with a Javanese Gamelan orchestra in grad school. It was difficult to find the notes of the pelog scale on my Bach, but I had an old Holton peashooter C trumpet that worked out perfectly. The intonation was such that I never could really use that horn in any other context…
http://kristiner.com
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With trumpet, part of the concern is "blending," and I agree that there are definitely fun trumpets to play, typically very bright or very mellow, that often aren't great matches for symphonic playing.

One of my favorites is a trumpet with a lot of nickel silver that really cuts. I also have a Bach 72, which I love, but those (I think) don't project as well.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question isn't valid.

A "bad" trumpet isn't synonymous with an inappropriate trumpet. Doc Severinsen did some amazing playing on a Getzen Eterna which is generally regarded as capable of being a bright, cutting horn but some might not choose one for symphonic playing though with an appropriate mouthpiece I don't know if anyone would really hear the difference if they weren't told someone in the section was playing one.

A bad trumpet would be one that has mechanical problems, plays chronically out of tune, has a sound quality that's off. All plastic trumpets are bad by the standards of what you want a trumpet to do. They're incapable of producing a nice sound, don't project like a real trumpet, aren't genuinely useful for anything musically but a clown band where colorfulness is more important than sound, where their odd, plastic sound might actually be in character with what you want.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks what I meant was not only 'first water' professional instruments but instruments across the entire spectrum from 'student' to 'pro' and all points in-between.

Some years ago I happened to have two clarinets - An old Boosey and Hawkes Edgeware and an orchestral Buffet Crampon R13. The Edgeware cost me £45 or about thirty US dollars and the R13 was a 'professional' quality instrument that retailed at about fourteen hundred pounds or around two thousand dollars at the time. Although I was only tinkering with these instruments at the time when I picked up the Edgeware it really screamed and was a hoot to play. It wanted to play jazz and be wild but the R13 was so precise and accurate and creating a very clear accurate tone but without a unique 'voice' like the old rough boosey and Hawkes. I have found the same with guitars and other types of instruments I have owned over the years too. Some are brilliant tools that do a job very precisely while others wail and growl and have that indefinable quality that gives them a life of their own. I guess you could say the difference between Elvis and an Opera singer.

I am interested to know what trumpet makes and models may also have this quality about them.

Very well said!

Was the key system identical on both clarinets (or was it Boehm for both)?

The way you have described the Boosey and Hawkes seems more along the lines of an Albert key system (or an early Boehm):
https://www.thevintageclarinetdoctor.com/-blog/boehm-albert-and-oehler-system-clarinets-differences-and-similarities
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were both Boehm system clarinets Etc-Etc. It's hard to explain but the old Edgeware just had a voice all of it's own that made you want to bounce about and sing with it. It wasn't perfect but it was 'cool' where the R13 felt like a precision instrument designed to be used to exactly replicate what a composer wanted his piece to sound like every time without adding any of it's, or it's players own taste to the show.

In other instruments this unique voice (rather ironically) is pursued as people want to be just like Hendrix, Vai, Clapton and a plethora of other artists leading to a whole host of signature models and I guess there must be an element of this in the trumpet world as there are signature models but is it slightly different in trumpets with people simply pursuing the best possible intonation and easiest playing or are there truly unusual sounding instruments. I have to stress that in this I do not mean by any stretch 'bad', terribly out of tune and the like I simply means instruments that stand out for having an unusual and possibly unique sound and an ability to do things like bend notes in different ways and readily produce different sound effects or do Trumpets not work that way? Obviously players do seek to create unusual variety in their sound or there wouldn't be the massive range of effects units (aka Mutes) that are available so are there trumpets that also have a broader range of sound effects built in?
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the highest order trumpet the Cecilio offered. Now they are only Mendini, of which I have the cheapest one ~$94 when I bought it and their pocket trumpet.

The Cecilio is THE bad horn. Search every thread here and it’s the only conclusion one can come to.
I’m here to say it’s a fine trumpet! Lights up really fast and is quite an easy blow. I think they were based off a Yamaha but it’s much lighter and the sound is much much brighter

So……. Not a first class instrument but definitely a unique instrument
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Are there trumpets so bad they are good? Reply with quote

Yes

But that is not the same question you asked in the title. The answer to that would be no.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed OldSchoolEuph... I guess I must apologise as my title seems to have caused so much consternation and misunderstanding when I didn't mean it to.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My high school band had a terrible Reynolds trumpet in their inventory. We’d pull it out as a joke, like a Yugo of trumpets. I’m sure that stems more from its lack of care than its build quality alone, though.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nltrumpet wrote:
My high school band had a terrible Reynolds trumpet in their inventory. We’d pull it out as a joke, like a Yugo of trumpets. I’m sure that stems more from its lack of care than its build quality alone, though.

Reynolds trumpets - in good condition - are solid, well made, good playing horns. At least the ones made by Reynolds when they were owned by Reynolds himself or when it was owned by Olds are good.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: