• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flat on C Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trptboy3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Flat on C Trumpet Reply with quote

Hey all,

This is something that's been a challenge for a while and can be pretty frustrating. I'm consistently fairly flat on C trumpet. It's been an issue on a couple of Yamahas I've owned, as well as some Bachs. My current C is a gen 3 Yamaha Chicago and previous horn was a gen 2 NY YM. On both horns things sit kinda low to include C in the staff, G on top of the staff, high C, and most 23 combinations (Ab's, Eb's). Even with the slide all the way in.

Now while it is nice not dealing with the "typical" C trumpet issues, it's really uncomfortable when playing with someone or an ensemble and I have to lip up those notes to be in tune. I've tried different mouthpieces, Backbores, throats, etc and those don't seem to solve the issue. I also play with drones and have the tuner on the stand frequently. I don't have this issue on my other horns. Bb, Picc, Eb, cornet are all fine and within normal tolerances.

I play professionally so it's not a lack of experience with C trumpet or my general ability. Maybe there's something in my approach that could be tweaked? Or maybe I just need to have the horn modified. Any thoughts on helping to correct this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mouthpiece do you play on C?
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trptboy3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I'm on a Parke 640-285-25 with a 25/orchestral Backbore. I've also tried slightly tighter throats, tighter Backbores, and varying cup depths with no really success in solving the issue.
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cut down mouthpieces for some people who have a tendency to played flat.
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trptboy3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll send you a PM.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started on C I played really flat until my teacher advised me to aim higher in the slot than I do on Bb. Not long after my problems all but disappeared. Without that advice, I'd probably still be playing flat.

For amusement, I had exactly the opposite problem on the flugel. I had to aim lower in the slot in order to stop fighting the horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played flat on C trumpet until I stopped approaching it as if it were a Bb trumpet.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to clarify - your C is not uniformly flat on all notes - just some - more than is common for many C trumpets?

Have you checked your mouthpiece gap?

Stomvi has some interesting videos showing how too much or too little gap can affect intonation on only some notes.

https://stomvi-usa.com/learn-about-the-annulus-gap/

See if this is similar to what you are experiencing.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Flat on C Trumpet Reply with quote

trptboy3 wrote:

This is something that's been a challenge for a while and can be pretty frustrating. I'm consistently fairly flat on C trumpet. It's been an issue on a couple of Yamahas I've owned, as well as some Bachs. My current C is a gen 3 Yamaha Chicago and previous horn was a gen 2 NY YM. On both horns things sit kinda low to include C in the staff, G on top of the staff, high C, and most 23 combinations (Ab's, Eb's). Even with the slide all the way in.

I've noticed there are some oddities to the way the intonation on my Yamaha Chicago works. In particular, I find 2nd line G to be really flat, and it does drive me crazy because you're often coming from a sharp F or A and trying to place those right, and you get to the G and suddenly you have to get ontop of the note.

Suggestion #1 - A couple of makers produce short shank backbores. Pickett brass has the CS and ACB have the AOS. Both play great, but very differently to each other. Both are worth trying. Just get whatever throat you want when you order it. This is likely to be the ticket.

Suggestion 2 - I don't really know how the parke numbering system works off the top of my head and too lazy to look it up, but this is quite possibly because the mouthpiece cup is too big/too much volume for you on that lenght of horn. Either you're using a different mouthpiece on the other horns or that setups simply works fine for them, but not for the C.

Try a shallower cup. And if it helps, try different backbores to find a new balance you like.

For me, I have found that with most stock mouthpieces on my Chicago, because I don't have much lip intrusion, if I go to deep the upper register goes waaay flat. I think the 23 combos as well go a little south as well. The short shank really helped with this. For whatever reason, C trumpets seem to be designed around folks who have quite different intonation tendancies to my own.

Suggestion #3 - If you don't have a two 3rd slide stops installed on your instrument, get a second one and use both. It's annoying for emptying the spit, but it does have a noticeable effect on how my Chicago slots. I occassionally try it without the second screw, and immediately put it back in. It's subtle but an improvement to me. Osmun sells then.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a Bach with one of the shorter lead pipes (25H, for example there are others as well), with a standard C crook? The ones all C trumpets used to come with back in the day. Now, the Bb crook is standard, and it lowers the pitch.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve recently worked through a similar issue. It seems counter-intuitive, but try pulling your tuning slide. I was actually “lipping down” most of the notes on my horn without realizing it, and when I came to a flat note, it felt like I was pushing against a brick wall trying to raise the pitch up.

Pull it maybe ¼ inch and try it on fresh chops. If you don’t notice a difference after a week, it might be something else.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Flat on C trumpet Reply with quote

Hello all,
I need to push in on my C trumpets also, sometimes all the way in, for the first few minutes. My playing is primarily on Bb trumpet or cornet. I use a Warburton 5D, 4D or Schilke 14 for my classical setting playing. I have not experimented with any throat mods, as that is what many orchestral folks I know have done.
trptboy3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the replies. I've definitely gotten some great ideas from this thread and am exploring a couple.

I've definitely tried the method of pulling the slide. Unfortunately, this generally just introduces more tension for me because it's just more flat and I end up lipping up to play in tune with those around me. I understand how this might help in theory, but have never gotten it to work for me.

I also used to have a Bach C with 25H pipe and C crook. This was decidedly not flat for me, but the playability was really rough. Haha. Aside from struggling to bring the pitch center up, the gen 3 Chicago is seriously the best C trumpet I've ever played. So the pitch something I'm willing to work to figure out.

I've learned that in the past Yamaha has made a cut down tuning slide for the Chicago. I'm looking in to getting ahold of one of those. I'm also going to do as a couple of folks have suggested and get a short shank for my mouthpiece. Checking out gap stuff wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Thanks again for the great suggestions!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptboy3 wrote:
Thanks so much for all the replies. I've definitely gotten some great ideas from this thread and am exploring a couple.

I've definitely tried the method of pulling the slide. Unfortunately, this generally just introduces more tension for me because it's just more flat and I end up lipping up to play in tune with those around me. I understand how this might help in theory, but have never gotten it to work for me.

I also used to have a Bach C with 25H pipe and C crook. This was decidedly not flat for me, but the playability was really rough. Haha. Aside from struggling to bring the pitch center up, the gen 3 Chicago is seriously the best C trumpet I've ever played. So the pitch something I'm willing to work to figure out.

I've learned that in the past Yamaha has made a cut down tuning slide for the Chicago. I'm looking in to getting ahold of one of those. I'm also going to do as a couple of folks have suggested and get a short shank for my mouthpiece. Checking out gap stuff wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Thanks again for the great suggestions!

You must have had some real dogs if this is the best C trumpet you have played. Sort of joking and sort of not joking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: