• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Using a C for Band

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brasszebra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using my C more than my Bb. Not because my Bb is a 4335, because I have a strad and the 4335 plays better, but because I like the feel. I know its unconventinal but i`m looking for opinions on this.
mabouav

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not that unconventional. I used my C a few times for symphonic band in college and know someone who did the same in HS. The only time I was "forced" to use my Bb when I would have preferred not to was on a piece (can't remember what it was) where our conductor felt the part required a more mellow Bb trumpet (cornet, actually) sound. So unless a conductor says otherwise I'd say use whatever horn you feel most comfortable with.
BullJive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few opportunities to play C in band (Blackburn C and Bach 229 CL), but the rest of the section was also using Bach C's. My Blackburn plays much better than the Bach, but the sound wasn't quite right with the rest of the section so I used the Bach. Although I like using C for a lot of band literature, I honestly wouldn't use it unless unless the whole section (or at least all of the 1st trumpets) were using it. I don't mind sitting in an orchestra section where the 1st tpt is using a C and the 2nd is using Bb, but in a band section where you might have 2 or 3 people per part it is too tricky within each part to blend when somebody's using a different horn.

I guess if it works for you, go with it, but keep your section in mind too.

Kent
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a professional forum contributor (Wilmer Wise?) suggesting that one should use one's C trumpet in as many situations as possible in order to master it. There was another forum contributor (forgot his name, but he was a very experienced amateur) who wrote that he exclusively used his C trumpet from high school onwards.

Thos.

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2004-01-11 00:35 ]
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my C on nearly everything, including in band. My C is a much better horn than my b-flat, plus I just like playing C trumpet...I can achieve the sound that I want much easier. Really, the only thing I use my B-flat for is jazz, and on sousa marches and stuff.

Hope this helps...

Louie
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not?
It gets you used to playing the C trumpet, gives you the chance to work at blending the C with Bb trumpets and gives you a nice opportunity to improve your transposition skills, which is always good.

When I first started using my C trumpet it came out for every band and orchestra I play with. The only problems occured in some of the modern pieces, where the composer utilises the complete range of the Bb trumpet, regularly writing low F#, even on the first parts.
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-11 00:34, ZeroMan wrote:
I remember a professional forum contributor (Wilmer Wise?) suggesting that one should use one's C trumpet in as many situations as possible in order to master it. There was another forum contributor (forgot his name, but he was a very experienced amateur) who wrote that he exclusively used his C trumpet from high school onwards.

Thos.

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2004-01-11 00:35 ]</font>

I was asked to put together a brass band for a concert in Washington Square Park.
The only cornet played was on the Eb soprano part.
This was reallllllly back in the day, Wynton played 3rd cornet.
Ed Carroll was also in the section.We all played C trumpets.........Bach C trumpets.
We played a brass band arrangement of the Schubert Unfinished.
It was a scary good band.
Wilmer
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used C trumpet in bands with success. I got a few weird looks at first, but it sounded good and the conductor was fine with it.
no_tone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as a general rule you should use whatever you feel most comfortable with and sounds the best.
However, one should be aware of the pitch tendencies for the different instruments. For example, if you're playing a C trumpet and the rest of the section is on Bb and everyone is holding a concert C, you might sound sharp when you compare the sharp tendency of the C trumpet on that note to the flat tendency of the Bb trumpets playing their written D.

In a perfect world we all play any note on any horn perfectly in tune, but this is not always the case.

As far as blend goes I think we're more in charge than the trumpet. Different horns certainy FEEL different, but the player has more control over the type and quality of sound.

Years ago I played a summer festival with this terrific Scottish trumpet player and he only owned a Bb trumpet. He had a saying..." Well, if you can play it on Bb.... you can play it"

-Steve
brasszebra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I use my Bb for marches and stuff like. Transposing is not a problem. The funny thing about it is that I catch myself transposing when I play on the Bb!

Bach 189L Lacquer Yamaha 17B4

[ This Message was edited by: brasszebra on 2004-01-11 13:33 ]
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it'd be a good idea because C trumpets and Bb trumpets have slightly different pitch to them and so you might be out of tune with the rest of the trumpets if they're all playing Bb. In other words it might not blend too well and might sound bad.

I think C trumpet has always been more of an orchestra tool. I don't see why you need to use it in band when there's stuff already written in Bb for you.

But, if it feels better, and sounds good, and works for you, I guess there's nothing really wrong with it.

[ This Message was edited by: AccentOnTrumpet on 2004-01-11 17:39 ]
HyBrassR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no_tone nailed it.

You should definitely play on what you are most comfortable with. I play my C in the several concert bands that I'm in and tend to prefer it to my Bb. It's all up to you which sound you like better. There may be a couple times when you wouldn't want to play the C, but generally its OK.

Mikey

Bach Strad Bb
Yamaha Xeno C
Getzen Eterna Picc

[ This Message was edited by: HyBrassR on 2004-04-23 11:06 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
allstarbugler
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-11 17:37, AccentOnTrumpet wrote:
I don't think it'd be a good idea because C trumpets and Bb trumpets have slightly different pitch to them and so you might be out of tune with the rest of the trumpets if they're all playing Bb. In other words it might not blend too well and might sound bad.

I think C trumpet has always been more of an orchestra tool. I don't see why you need to use it in band when there's stuff already written in Bb for you.

But, if it feels better, and sounds good, and works for you, I guess there's nothing really wrong with it.

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: AccentOnTrumpet on 2004-01-11 17:39 ]</font>

I agree with accent

I sent a kid to a band parade once and he showed up with a C trumpet while everyone else had a Bb. They all looked at him like he was out of his mind.
He was not called back again.
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a couple of years in college I didn't even *own* a Bb. Everything was done on C and it sounded fine...even while most of the section played Bb. I still do it now, however, most my job consists of playing marches outside, etc and I'm sure not going to use a C doing that especially if it's a parade. Showing up to march a parade with a C trumpet is just stupid. Then again, parades and marching in general is stupid. Flame me if you wish, marching is dumb.

John

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Nails
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a C in Wind Ensamble for all four your of my undergrad. I even used it on the marching band field (I was forcded into doing marching band!) I was louder than the whole section combined.

Nathan
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used a C for the college wndband, mainly to get my transposing realy hot, but i think i got a nice blend with the cornet player next to me.

sam
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used C throughout high school band except this year and never had problem. I swtiched back to Bb for band this year mostly because i was in the community college wind ensemble and didn't want to be the arrogant high school kid. I intend on using it throughout college as exclusively as possible. Just make sure you get a good sound and can blend with the section. If the conductor doesnt like it, you can switch, but unless he tells you to, dont worry. Its still a trumpet:) Have fun.

Stuart
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. It is always helpful to be able to push your sound around to match the section and the style of a piece. Playing a C will give you a chance to work on this as well as intonation.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I would have started playing C in wind ensemble before this semester. It made it so much easier to play pieces without having to play extremely loud to be heard. C just projects so well, I found that I could play one dynamic less than the other trumpets and still balance the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TrumpetEnthusiast1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm not 100% sure on this (and definately correct me if I'm wrong), but I think on Wynton's "Carnival" recording he had the Eastman trumpet section play all Cs. Talk about contrast!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: