• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tom Hooten Signature Yamaha Mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_guilbeau

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Tom Hooten Signature Yamaha Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I know the Hooten mouthpiece is still rather fresh, but does anyone have anything to say about it? I know he was on the 17B4 for a while. Just curious if anyone has any comparison comments. Thanks!
THooten

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!

Its close to the 17B4 with a slightly opened throat and a modified backbore that is close to a 24 but better in terms of holding down the pitch above the staff.

Hope that helps.
Tom
mr_guilbeau

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you certainly can't beat hearing it from the man himself. Thanks, Tom!
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THooten wrote:
I like it!

Its close to the 17B4 with a slightly opened throat and a modified backbore that is close to a 24 but better in terms of holding down the pitch above the staff.

Hope that helps.
Tom

"From the horse's mouth." Greetings from Tampa, homeboy.
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a bit meta, but I referenced Tom's response to this thread in my most recent YouTube video, where I take a deep dive into Tom's Yamaha Signature mouthpiece. His signature mouthpiece is really fascinating to me because it is so heavily inspired by the Yamaha 17B4 & Bach 1-1/4C, but has numerous important tweaks to dial in its performance for efficiency, response, and intonation. This makes it another great orchestral option for those who really prefer the 1-1/4C! In this video I also use a new and robust mouthpiece comparison and design tool called VennCAD (by Vennture Mouthpieces, Inc.), which lets us see the various alterations "up close and personal" in 2D space. 🤓🤓🤓

Link

sleehrat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jon Kaplan"]I know this is a bit meta, but I referenced Tom's response to this thread in my most recent YouTube video, where I take a deep dive into Tom's Yamaha Signature mouthpiece. His signature mouthpiece is really fascinating to me because it is so heavily inspired by the Yamaha 17B4 & Bach 1-1/4C, but has numerous important tweaks to dial in its performance for efficiency, response, and intonation. This makes it another great orchestral option for those who really prefer the 1-1/4C! In this video I also use a new and robust mouthpiece comparison and design tool called VennCAD (by Vennture Mouthpieces, Inc.), which lets us see the various alterations "up close and personal" in 2D space. 🤓🤓

Thanks for the great episode, Jon. Quick question. I play a 1-1/4C but really like the profile of the Bach 1X rim. Do you think this mouthpiece gets me closer to a setup like that? Love your channel! Thanks for the great info!
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Hooten mouthpiece Reply with quote

Jon:
How does Yamaha Mark Gould mpc compare to the Bach 1 1/4C and Hooten?

LCM
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sleehrat wrote:
Thanks for the great episode, Jon. Quick question. I play a 1-1/4C but really like the profile of the Bach 1X rim. Do you think this mouthpiece gets me closer to a setup like that? Love your channel! Thanks for the great info!

So glad you enjoyed this video and like my channel - your support is very appreciated! I'll answer your question in two ways - based on the scans I have available, the Hooten rim has a smoother bite than the typical 1-1/4C and the 1X has a much sharper bite than both, so in that case the Hooten is further, not closer. That said, the Hooten rim is slightly flatter than the typical 1-1/4C, and the 1X is flatter than both, so in that case the Hooten is closer. So really it depends on which feature you like about the 1X that you're trying to replicate. Hopefully that answers your question!

MalinTrumpet wrote:
How does Yamaha Mark Gould mpc compare to the Bach 1 1/4C and Hooten?

That's a great question. I haven't had a chance to look at the Gould yet though since several people have asked me about a comparison between the two, that might be a future video. Based on what I can find online, the Gould might have a slightly shallower cup (than the Hooten), and is paired with a 24 throat and something like the standard C backbore which would be a bit smaller than the Hooten BB. Somebody in the comments of my YouTube video also said the Gould might have a sharper bite but I haven't had a chance to independently verify this yet.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic vid from Jon Kaplan. I can't beat his info but my experience.

First impressions are impressive. I play 17b4 on Bb and Parke 655 275 24 - Merkelo Orchestral bb on C. Play test for some people and they can't tell the difference between the Parke and the Hooten and I feel really comfortable on it.

For my dentition, the hooten is much more stable and more responsive than the Parke. For comparison I can kind of get along with a Bach 1 1/4 and the Bach Symphonic 1 1/4 was not great.

Incredibly well balanced and custom level of R&D for peanut prices. If you're a 1 1/4 player I would say it's a no brainer to try out.
michaelbarth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Hooten mouthpiece a few months ago and I really like it. I found my responsiveness, slurs, and intonation were improved with it relative to many of my other stock orchestral mouthpieces.

Something I find interesting is that, for me, the rim feels more like a 1c than 1 1/4c. The Yamaha specs (17.36mm) also put it slightly larger than the 17b4 (17.3mm). This works great for me as a committed 1c player! I think overall it is very balanced mouthpiece (ie not to shallow or deep, not an outrageously large throat or backbore) and very worth checking out if you're into large diameter mouthpieces.

I also found it interesting that the blank is slightly different from the usual Yamaha blank, and looks more like a Bach.

I played the Mark Gould mouthpiece for quite a while a few years ago. It is also a really nice mouthpiece, and one of the neat things about it was that, in spite of its shallow-ish cup, it plays with a very warm sound. Another very good 1c alternative, in my opinion.

Finally, if you're looking for a great orchestral mouthpiece that isn't super expensive, I think the Bach symphonic series is also worth checking out. I got a few of their 1c's and they were all great.
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelbarth wrote:
I also found it interesting that the blank is slightly different from the usual Yamaha blank, and looks more like a Bach.

Dude, you're cracking me up! I spent so long looking at the inside of the Hooten that I never even noticed that the blank was different from the typical Yamaha blank - you're right that it is basically an exact copy of the Bach blank. The Hagstrom signature piece is like that too. I might weigh the 17B4 and compare to the Hooten to see if there is any significant difference between the overall weights of both the yamaha and bach blanks (of course accounting for the different interior specs).
michaelbarth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha - that's great! I've often wondered if that little extra bit of tooling on the Bach blank made a significant difference between it and the Yamaha.

Now how much of a nerd am I for just having written that?!

I guess if we really wanted to go down this particular rabbit hole it would be great to alter a stock Yamaha blank to look like a Bach and see what happens. It won't likely be me, but if someone ever does please let me know!
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelbarth wrote:
Ha - that's great! I've often wondered if that little extra bit of tooling on the Bach blank made a significant difference between it and the Yamaha.

I guess if we really wanted to go down this particular rabbit hole it would be great to alter a stock Yamaha blank to look like a Bach and see what happens. It won't likely be me, but if someone ever does please let me know!

I'll look into it and let you know! Of course the slightly larger throat and backbore of the Hooten will make it lighter even if the blank was identical so it might be hard to verify without having another 17B4 modified in a similar way (though that would be a very minute amount of material being removed). I always considered the Yamaha blank to be basically the Bach blank but yes there are a few extra ledges on the Bach. As far as how much of a nerd you are, the answer is *very* and that's just the kind of person I made my channel for. 🤓
michaelbarth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers - keep them coming!
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelbarth wrote:

OK so I weighed all of my Yamaha pieces and here are my findings -
The Yamaha blank Yamahas:
14B4 - 96.95g
Sullivan - 95.05g
17B4 - 94.89g
The Bach blank Yamahas:
Hagstrom - 94.64g
Hooten - 92.89g

Since they are all different models the pattern is hard to see but based on the five I have to compare, the Yamaha blank ones are all heavier than the Bach blank ones including the Sullivan. Of course this is not exhaustive enough to really know for sure but based on this information I'm leaning towards the Bach blank mouthpieces being just a gram or two lighter than the Yamaha blanks (depending on the internal dimensions).
JH3136

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my hands on a Hooten and its a VERY nice mouthpiece indeed.

Jon, I see what you mean in terms of the comparison to the 1X rim. The curve of the rim offers a bit more flexibility while the width/high point provides good comfort like the 1X. Nice balance to the cup/throat/backbore in terms of how it plays. And, most importantly, it sounds good.

So, I definitely give this mouthpiece a shout out. Or, as they would say where I grew up in the NC Blue Ridge Mountains: I give this a "Hooten Holler." (bada . . . boom).

Thanks!

John
michaelbarth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Kaplan wrote:
michaelbarth wrote:

14B4 - 96.95g
Sullivan - 95.05g
17B4 - 94.89g
The Bach blank Yamahas:
Hagstrom - 94.64g
Hooten - 92.89g

This is great! I love minutiae like this. On the face of it such a small difference in the blank's weight (and its distribution) might seem insignificant, but Yamaha went to the trouble of replicating it so there must be something there.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s a really great, balanced mouthpiece! While the rim diameter is wide (.655ish), it doesn’t feel too large. Great balance between depth, throat, and backbore. And, superb colors!

Response is so good on it. And, it works very well on Bb as well as C, which isn’t the case with all 24 type backbores.

Wish Yamaha would make a Hooten/1.5 variant.

I may or may not have already had a 1.5/1.25 version made for me...😉
mr_guilbeau

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.kemp wrote:
It’s a really great, balanced mouthpiece! While the rim diameter is wide (.655ish), it doesn’t feel too large. Great balance between depth, throat, and backbore. And, superb colors!

Response is so good on it. And, it works very well on Bb as well as C, which isn’t the case with all 24 type backbores.

Wish Yamaha would make a Hooten/1.5 variant.

I may or may not have already had a 1.5/1.25 version made for me...😉

I would kill for a 1.5 variant!!!
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Kaplan wrote:
michaelbarth wrote:

14B4 - 96.95g
Sullivan - 95.05g
17B4 - 94.89g
The Bach blank Yamahas:
Hagstrom - 94.64g
Hooten - 92.89g

Since they are all different models the pattern is hard to see but based on the five I have to compare, the Yamaha blank ones are all heavier than the Bach blank ones including the Sullivan. Of course this is not exhaustive enough to really know for sure but based on this information I'm leaning towards the Bach blank mouthpieces being just a gram or two lighter than the Yamaha blanks (depending on the internal dimensions).

This will also vary if you have several of the same model depending on how much they are buffed.

DB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: