• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Selmer Paris Chorus 80J

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara, I think using the Warburton backbore system to adjust to different bore horns is a great idea. It is hard to make a blanket statement about the * backbores versus the regular backbores. I was turned onto the 4* by a friend, and former teacher who has three LB horns - including a Mambo. It is a great backbore. However, I have found that the 5 backbore also works very well.

The new Q backbore isn't bad but it is a little bit large to me. The real key is finding the right cup/backbore combination for the horn. The guy I mentioned earlier has 8 different horns and he uses about three different mpc - backbore combinations. For one of them he actually uses a one piece mouthpiece - that works the best for that particular horn. Experimentation is the key. Find what works for you.

Thanks!

Mike
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
So, what is the deal with Brook May's Music ? I called to get a Selmer TT on trial, and they said I would have to buy it . No trial period. I told them to forget it. Do you know of any stores that would give a trial period on this horn?
Jim
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomsak seems to have a dealer willing to lend out Selmers. Maybe he'll give out the name.

I seriously doubt that Brook Mays even has a TT in stock. Frankly I don't know of any dealer that has one in stock right now. Things should improve in a few months, based on the rumor I passed along earlier in the thread.

Dave
tomsak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Selmer TT I purchased was from a e-bay auction in which the reserve was not met. The owner offered me the horn at my high bid price. I was totally unable to find one from a music store. The Woodwind and Brasswind told me that they don't stock that model and can't get it yet their french site sells them. They currently have just received stock on the Selmer Chorus 80J in brushed lacquer for anyone interested. I think it is ridiculous that the Cocept TT is so hard to get in the US. Is there some sort of agreement Selmer has not to sell their horns in the US??
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have several different things at work here. My understanding is that in the mid to late 70's Selmer stopped importing Selmer Paris Horns (two seperate companies) into the US so they wouldn't compete with the Bach Strad. Selmer Paris K-Modified & Radials were popular with players in the US. This was unfortunate because there was more then enough room in the Market for both horns.

The second thing that is effecting the availability of horns is that the Henri Selmer Company is a family owned and relatively small producer of horns. My understanding is that they are selling most everything they make fairly quickly.

They are also expensive horns and many music stores hesitate to carry them because of the price. That is why you see them at the larger stores. I know most of the stores in the Atlanta market focus on student horns & Bachs or Yamahas in the professional models.

I think the popularity of the TT model caught Selmer by Surprise. Finally, I think it has only been recently (thanks in part to Dave - dcstep) that Selmer horns have begun to catch peoples imagination again. A clerk at wwbw said that when they first started carrying the 80J it did not sell well. Now, I noticed that the Brushed Lacquer horns they just got in are gone. Selmer makes an outstanding horn with incredible valves and sound.
I hope they will become easier to find in the US.

Mike

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2004-04-30 06:08 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rumor is correct, little Selmer-Paris will focus more attention on the TT and 80J and we'll start seeing more in the USA later this year. We can believe it when we see it.

BTW, Selmer-Paris is a family owned company located in Paris, France. Conn-Selmer is a US-based division of Stienway Musical Instrument (the purchaser of the old UMI) and Conn-Selmer is the US distributor of Selmer-Paris instruments, most notably their saxophones.

Sometime in the 1970s I believe (please correct me if you know the details) Bach or UMI (predecessors to Conn-Selmer/Stienway) acquired rights to manufacture certain student horns and use the Selmer name, as well as distribute Selmer-Paris instruments in the US. This intertwined relationship and licensing the name creates a lot of confusion as to what is "a Selmer". The Henri Selmer site is http://www.selmer.fr (there's an English version for those of us that need it).

Dave
junkyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick akright music in lynnwood, wa stocks both horns. i bought my TT from them, and they treated me really well. call jimmie at (425) 775-7172, or visit their website at AkrightMusic.com .

i don't know if he'll let you out-of-staters audition the horn, but he did let me...
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Selmer Concept TT coming in next week on a 3 day trial. This horn is from Dick Akright Music. All of the other music stores I contacted either didn't have the horn, or wouldn't do a trial, or wanted a 15% restock fee.

Akright Music does want a 3% restock fee. So, I will have the Chorus 80J and the Concept TT for 3 days. Jimmie at Akright Music very easy to deal with. Their price on the regular lacquer model Concept TT is $1995.00.

I still wonder how these horns will project and blend in big band.
Jim
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you post your comparison of the horns. It should be interesting. It would nice if there wasn't any restocking fee but 3% is a lot beter then your other choices. The price seems reasonable on the TT. What is their price on the 80J.

Mike

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2004-05-01 08:08 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, be ready to play with mpcs a little. I saw that you're interested in free blowing horns (B1, etc.), but I don't know what you're coming from. Almost everyone I know using a TT or 80J has gone one size tighter on the backbore of their mpc. If you're playing lead in that big band, then the TT will retain a big sound with a surprisingly small cup.

My TT is the gold-lacquer and most people mistake it for gold-plate. I love the look and sound.

Dave
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I came from a Smith-Watkin's 464 bore Bb 5" heavy bell. My mouthpieces are(GR 65.5M #2 backbore and GR65.6MS#1Backbore).

The GR65.5M feels a little big (not huge) on the 80J. The GR65.5MS does bring my air into focus on the Selmer, but tends to made my sound bright. I also have used a stork Studio line #6 with a tight BB.
Jim
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that GR65.5MS will be a good big band lead piece with the TT. BTW, is that #1 backbore standard with the 65.5MS? If so, I may try one.

Dave
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
No, the #1 bb is not standard on the GRMS setup. This is a custom piece. Most of my playing is the 2nd trumpet book in big band. So I don't really need or want that lazer type cutting sound. My sound is bright to start out with . I still own and play a Kanstul Bergeron model in silver. Did you say you compared the Selmer TT to to the Bergeron? How did these 2 horns compare?
Jim
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the TT and the WB within minutes of each other, but I've not really spent much time with the WB. My first impression (and that's all it is) is that the TT is slightly darker and broader sounding. They're only a degree or so away from each other in tonal color. The biggest difference that I recall is that the TT seems way more resonant to the player. Both sounded great out in the sanctuary when we did a comparison of ten Bb horns.

Dave
smoothie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In stock, several horns at "Royalton Music", suburb of Cleveland, Ohio, ask for Rich on Mon and or Wed, Sheri on other day's. They carry some of the best horn brands in the country, and they are not greedy.

Call 440-237-9400
Smoothie

Selmer J-80
Selmer TT
Getzen 3051
Bobby Shew Z
Schilke S32
Bach 37 Heavy
and 17 others
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's a pretty nice lineup.

[ This Message was edited by: dcstep on 2004-05-11 14:05 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: