• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for trumpet lessons in the Beaverton Oregon area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Looking for trumpet lessons in the Beaverton Oregon area Reply with quote

Hi all,

I started playing trumpet in 5th grade, continued though high school, 2 years of college, and 10 years in the Navy music program. Smash cut to 21 years later and I just got my trumpet back from the repair shop after not really touching it at all since I left the Navy.

I'm looking to start playing again and would like to at least start with lessons to make sure I'm not developing or revisiting any bad habits I had 20 years ago. I'm looking for someone in Beaverton, Oregon, or at least Beaverton adjacent. I'd prefer not to go in to Portland but if that's where the best/only options are I can make the trip. Would prefer in person rather than online lessons.

I don't know that I will ever get back to being as good as I once was but I'm looking to get to at least to where I can make it through a community band rehearsal and not embarrass myself as a starting point. Nothing against community bands, I have heard several that sounded amazing. If I end up topping out at as good once as I ever was I can live with that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input!
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience in looking for a teacher as a comeback player has been that the most productive path is to talk to other music (preferably, trumpet) people in your area. The first person near you that comes to mind for me is Logan Brown, of Thane Trumpets. I know Logan only by e-mail correspondence when he was building my horn, but he seems like a very helpful person. He plays with several different groups when he's not building trumpets, I think, and probably knows who the best local teachers are. I also know that most of the staff at Monette are trumpet players, so if you were to drop by their shop, you might find some good conversation and ideas.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My undergrad professor retired to Beaverton, and plays with a bunch of orchestras and a couple brass quintets in the Portland area. I'm not sure if he's doing any teaching or interested in taking on students, but I'd be happy to reach out to him and ask if you'd like. Just let me know.

L
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://linfield.edu/faculty/jpaddock.html

Dr Paddock is a great player and teacher, and a dear friend.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Jeremys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great, thanks!

My undergrad professor retired to Beaverton, and plays with a bunch of orchestras and a couple brass quintets in the Portland area. I'm not sure if he's doing any teaching or interested in taking on students, but I'd be happy to reach out to him and ask if you'd like. Just let me know.
Jeremys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check them out, thanks!

dr_trumpet wrote:
https://linfield.edu/faculty/jpaddock.html

Dr Paddock is a great player and teacher, and a dear friend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: