• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Yorker trumpet any information?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: New Yorker trumpet any information? Reply with quote

Hi all, there is currently a 'New Yorker' trumpet for sale on ebay UK and it's quite an attractive looking instrument in the 'Peashooter' vein.

Just thought I would ask if anyone has any information on this make and model to try and increase my knowledge of the world of Trumpets. Would this be a German or Czechoslovakian made instrument? Looks to be a well built and individually designed instrument.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150491124@N07/51854126767/in/dateposted-public/
jrpbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: New Yorker Trumpet Reply with quote

Those were imported into the US in the 1930s and likely made in Czechoslovakia, as so many instruments were. I have one ad from a Chicago retailer selling them in silver plate for $18.85 in 1933. They are billed as a student model. Compare this to a Martin Standard trumpet from the same time which had a list price of $95. The New Yorker might look nice, but I wouldn't expect it to be anything great for a player. Probably still much better than the current Asian imports! They may have been imported into the US by companies like Gretsch or Fischer. The name would imply that they were made for the US market, but they may have had a distributor in the UK as well.
jrpbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: New Yorker Trumpet Reply with quote

After some searching through my archives, the New Yorker was imported by Gretsch and made by Bohland & Fuchs in Graslitz, Czechoslovakia (modern Kraslice, Czech Republic and originally part of Austria).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: