• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Introducing the S-Mute!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is why I have responded to the thread but not claimed my discount,

I've been hospitalized for some months, and while I am going home very soon, my horn priority is to build back my strength more than new toys. Better not to take a discount from another TH member.

I like the 3-in-one design. That and a Harmon and if I don't need my flugelhorn, everything fits in a Bach-type case. I love love love the idea of pre-filed corks. This is absolutely brilliant.

I'm fussy about sound. If we're going to put up with the compromises inherent in mutes, like intonation, they should at least sound good. I don't think I have heard a clip of the straight, but I have yet to find a straight I am happy with. I usually use a Denis Wick, but if that gets too "barky", I'll use my Tom Crown.

Cups, I use a H&B, just like the rest of the section. "Better" cup mutes tend to blend more poorly. Either it sticks out or ges buried. The cork system might rectify or partially rectify this, I don't know.

The "plunger" likely works well in section-type plunger work. Maybe better than real plungers.
trumpetjens
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan...can't wait for mine to show up in the next day or so. This is outrageously clever AND bio-friendly...a point which was NOT lost on every one of my UCLA students (yup, the whole studio) who ordered!!!

The prototypes that I tried also have fantastic pitch center and the extra corks allow for both color change and ease of use with different bells although 99% of what people will be using are stock sized bells so I do not anticipate anyone will have a problem with the fit.

Will give you and this forum a full update when our mutes arrive.

Jens Lindemann
www.trumpetsolo.com
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the magnetic cup/combo mute. I did not use the discount; I am happy to support trumpet entrepreneurs and you have what looks to be an exceptional product.

One thing I was not certain about when ordering was the choice of a flexible versus rigid cup, so I chose flexible, thinking it will store a bit easier when disassembled. I expect it will still work as a plunger as well as the rigid version would. If this is incorrect, please let me know and I'll get the rigid one. Thanks!
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the order!

In my view the flexible version is superior. It is more durable and works really well as a plunger.

NS

Riojazz wrote:

One thing I was not certain about when ordering was the choice of a flexible versus rigid cup, so I chose flexible, thinking it will store a bit easier when disassembled. I expect it will still work as a plunger as well as the rigid version would. If this is incorrect, please let me know and I'll get the rigid one. Thanks!

Department of Music (Trumpet)
California State University, Fresno
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetjens wrote:
Nathan...can't wait for mine to show up in the next day or so. This is outrageously clever AND bio-friendly...a point which was NOT lost on every one of my UCLA students (yup, the whole studio) who ordered!!!

The prototypes that I tried also have fantastic pitch center and the extra corks allow for both color change and ease of use with different bells although 99% of what people will be using are stock sized bells so I do not anticipate anyone will have a problem with the fit.

Will give you and this forum a full update when our mutes arrive.

Jens Lindemann
www.trumpetsolo.com

Jens! Thanks so much. I cant wait to hear from you and your students!
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very interesting? How quickly can you remove the cup without removing the mute when using magnets?

Also, is it USA only for now?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Looks very interesting? How quickly can you remove the cup without removing the mute when using magnets?

Also, is it USA only for now?

If you install the mute tightly and pull away abruptly the cup will detatch, leaving the straight in the trumpet. You wouldn't be able to do this while playing. Check out my video describing the Multifunction Mute, I demonstrate this. If you wanted to quickly go from straight to cup mute, the threaded version offers this ability, simply by holding the cup up against the straight without it threaded together. My students did this for a wind band piece they were playing that asked for a switch between cup and straight (with IIRC a measure of rest between), it worked out great for them.

USA only for now, Canada very soon. EU and UK probably over the summer. I need to get set up with the tax people in the EU and UK to sell there, I think.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the explanation, I guess I’ll just have to be patient then.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my S-mute and wanted to give my first impressions, which are VERY favorable! I bought the multifunction mute, magnetic mount, flexible cup. I think this was definitely the choice many will want to make, as I will describe.

I love the sound and the intonation. If that's not good, nothing else matters. Good slotting on a cup mute up to high C is all I need.

First, not only did Nathan answer my sales question about the flexible cup in this forum, he also emailed me directly to make sure I had seen the info. He also shipped immediately and gave me a tracking number, and my package arrived from California to New York in three days, very nicely wrapped.

Nathan also sent me a duplicate combo mute with the threaded base, and the rigid cup, so I can compare both. He said he was adding a factory-seconds mute with these orders to us, but I sure don't see anything wrong.

PLUNGER

The flexible cup by itself is a better choice for a plunger. The rigid cup is harder to hold and has a plastic-y sound that I do not like nearly as well. The warm sound of the flexible plunger is terrific and I can throw away my toilet plunger. I'm really pleased that, for the first time in my career, I can carry only ONE mute to practice. [Well, OK, a harmon, too]

MOUNT

I have no strong preference for magnetic versus threaded mount for the cup. I think either is fine. While I don't hear much difference in sound, there may be some; I think the magnetic one gives me a warmer, less plastic-y sound here too, and I prefer it, but that is very subjective and you might like the threaded sound in a big band section better. HOWEVER, I'm not sure if the sound difference is coming from the material of the cup versus the method of the mount. It might be that a flexible cup on either mount sounds the same. Maybe Nathan can elaborate, since you can buy any combination of cup material and mount.

As discussed above, if you have the magnetic mount and you want to remove the cup while playing, it is not easy but possible to bend the cup which will dislodge it, leaving the straight mute in. Otherwise, a typical pull straight out will remove the whole mute. I don't play a lot of shows anymore but if you ever had to make a really fast change from cup mute to straight, or vice versa, it's now actually possible.

CORKS

I do like the idea of the adjustable and replaceable corks. It's an ingenious system. I think I'm done forever with my glue gun on mutes. Someone earlier asked about the fit, and although you might think that, being somewhat loose when you pick up the mute, this might make a difference in sound, but once the mute is inserted, they of course cannot move.

I haven't even fooled with adjusting the cork widths; the supplied ones sound great. They appear to be the thinnest ones. Maybe I'll write another review after I've tried multiple sizes. Note: all the corks are the same width; it's the plastic base you put them on that differs in width, and this slides into the mount on the mute. With this system, the replacement corks come with adhesive backing on the spares, and you can use the same replacements on any width mount.

NEGATIVES?

Is there anything wrong with these mute? Well, you need to realize that you do not adjust the sound by sliding the cup on the the outside of the straight mute. It's fixed in place. The threaded mount is a bit longer overall. Once I start adjusting the cork thicknesses, I assume I will be able to make a more or less 'tight' cup sound as I would with the adjustable cup mute, like a Soulo. I'll leave that review to another time.

CONCLUSION:

Highly recommended. The magnetic flexible one just went into my accessories case for my performance trumpet. The threaded rigid one went into my traveling backup horn case. Several other brand mutes just came out!
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:

MOUNT

I have no strong preference for magnetic versus threaded mount for the cup. I think either is fine. While I don't hear much difference in sound, there may be some; I think the magnetic one gives me a warmer, less plastic-y sound here too, and I prefer it, but that is very subjective and you might like the threaded sound in a big band section better. HOWEVER, I'm not sure if the sound difference is coming from the material of the cup versus the method of the mount. It might be that a flexible cup on either mount sounds the same. Maybe Nathan can elaborate, since you can buy any combination of cup material and mount.

In my view, the flexible material is darker, and more so with the weight of the magnets out there on the end. The threaded/ridgid is the brightest/liveliest sound. Id say the threaded/flexible is somewhere in between. The thickness of the corks/depth of the mute in the bell also has an impact on sound and how the mute responds, both as a straight and cup. Have fun experimenting!

Last edited by Nathan.Sobieralski on Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
gtownlead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“I'm gonna try the S-Mute!”
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UCLA Trumpet Studio to use the S-Mute at NTC!

https://s-mute.com/blogs/news/s-mute-at-ntc-2022
drtrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Introducing the S-Mute! Claim a discount! Reply with quote

I'm going to try the S-mute

I am in Canada and understand that it will be a few months before you can ship to Canada
GR Mouthpieces
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: I'm gonna try the S-Mute Reply with quote

I'm gonna try the S-Mute
thehedge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna try the S-Mute!
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna try the S-Mute!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

Some news:

I have a limited run of the blue mutes available on the website.

I'm down to my last 7-8 production errors!

Now shipping to Canada!

I will be running the discount promotion until ITG this summer, so message me if you want to take advantage of that. I will be running a separate promotion starting May 1 for those you attending ITG so be sure to keep a lookout for that.
jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan -

Will the S-Mute work with the large bell on the Wild Thing? My cornet and trumpet both required additional cork on mutes.

Assuming it will work, then I'm gonna try the S-Mute!

Thanks!

2014 Flip Oakes Wild Thing flugelhorn (copper bell)
2014 Flip Oakes Celebration trumpet
2005 Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet
2002 Flip Oakes Wild Thing short cornet
1976 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
1951 Olds Ambassador cornet
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the great thing about this design. The mute can be made to work with practically any bell flare. In this case I would supply you with some size 2.5 corks that would provide some additional adjustment for wider bell flares, and ultimately I could make custom sizes for you if those were still too small.

If you order just remind me you plan to use the mute with wider bells and ill include some thicker corks with your mute.

jharris2 wrote:
Nathan -

Will the S-Mute work with the large bell on the Wild Thing? My cornet and trumpet both required additional cork on mutes.

Assuming it will work, then I'm gonna try the S-Mute!

Thanks!

mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna try the S-Mute.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: