• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen horns - factory rebuilds?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that I recall seeing some mention (somewhere) of people having their Getzen horns rebuilt at the factory. I'm curious... if you've experienced this, how expensive was it, and do you feel that you got your money's worth?

I've recently acquired a silver plated Getzen Eterna cornet that needs some work (understatement). The bell had some very poor dent work done on it that, even after my brass repair guy fixes it, will leave the plating badly scarred. It also has a puncture in one of the tubes between valves. There's some "bubbling" on the plating of the leadpipe which my tech says looks like red rot getting ready to break through, and the rest of the plating is pretty badly pitted and worn in places. If you plug the hole and overlook the rattle in the bell on certain notes (sounds like a support that isn't soldered right), it does play, and the valves seem to be tight and have good compression... a light in the midst of darkness.

No, I didn't know it was this bad before I bought it -- it was misrepresented -- but based on my discussions with the seller so far, I think I'm screwed. This is the deal that "balances" those really good buys I've made on ebay. If I'm stuck with it, I certainly want to do what I can to restore it. What I don't want to do is end up investing the price of a new horn in the process.

So, anyway, I'm wondering about sending it to Getzen for an overhaul vs having it done locally. My local brass tech does great work, I have a lot of confidence in that shop, but it seems like this extensive a job might be a good one for the folks that know these horns best.

Experience anyone? Thoughts?

D.

[ This Message was edited by: DC on 2004-01-11 16:02 ]
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He heals the brokenhearted, and bandages their wounds" -- Psalm 147:3

Doesn't make any promises about fixing horns, though. If it was Ebay, you can make a complaint, and are eligible for insurance for compensation.

IMHO you are throwing good money after bad. You are talking a complete overhaul and partial rebuild, which even then won't give a 100% instrument, and at this stage you don't even know how well it will play. The Eterna cornets are very good, not great, instruments, and don't really have any historic or collectors value.

How about you pocket the money for the overhaul, and go bargain hunting for a horn that will be worth restoring. Oh, and trophy mount the Getzen.
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can email getzen off of their web page and get an answer - I was checking out the "lifetime" valve warrenty a few months ago to see if my horn was covered - it was not, but they did say if my vavles needed to be regbulit they would do it... I think is was in the $2xx.00 for that...

-marc
farmbrass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the horn you are talking about on ebay. The words and picture do not really match, the finish looks bad and the horn looks bent. Anyway, I'd consider fixing up the solder joints and patch the hole. Maybe put on a new lead pipe. So for 70-200 bucks you'll have something that you can play. Or spend 50 bucks to patch the hole it then re-sell it. An honest description might get you $200 - $350. It does appear that you were ripped off. I don't think I'd be leaving positive feed back for the seller. Good luck
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if it was an Ebay horn, flame the guy in feedback - if people don't give negative feedback when it is due, the bad guys win. Also, go through the Ebay complaints process - you might get your money back from the seller or money from the Ebay insurance ($175 max), or your credit card company, or Paypal. You have a legitimate complaint if it was significantly different from the description.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-fraud-protection.html will get you started. It takes a while, but you have nothing to lose.

Michael
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I know about the remedies with eBay. Best case gets me $175 back, which would make the horn playable but not pretty, and nowhere near the described condition. I'm waiting for an answer from PayPal, but I don't think the PayPal protection will apply -- he isn't a "verified" PP account. Ya see a guy with 100% feedback and you think "well, that's nothing nto worry about." Right.

I'm still trying to work with the guy, so I won't say anything more at this point.

D.
Conn Vintage One Flugelhorn -- GR66FD
Yamaha YCR-6335HS Cornet -- Sparx 3
---
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you got burned, dc. I bought an Eterna large bore back...oh...about a year and half back? I knew it wasn't going to be perfect...but it turned out to be better than I had any right to expect and was about half the price of new. It needed some minor cosmetic stuff and a 3rd slide alignment to bring it "up to snuff" but it plays like new now (and looks almost as good as new). The case was in wonderful shape for one that's over 20 years old as well (no keys and the latches have lost their lacquer coating but work perfectly).

I think the Eterna is a vastly underrated horn..especially the "old" 800 design with the weird wrap. If it's good enough for Phil Smith...............
semusical

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Getzen cornet is a good playing horn, and probably worth the restoration price. Getzen shut down their repair facility years ago, so an independant shop is your best bet. A complete overhaul with new silver plating and a new leadpipe is going to run you around $475, and should take around 6 weeks start to finish. I'm not here to advertise my services, so I will not give you the name or address of the restoration service I have owned for the past 27 years, which is not too far from you. If you are interested in getting the work done you can send me a private email, and I will give you the information including my phone number so we can discuss it further. Hope this helps.
George
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-12 07:19, semusical wrote:
The Getzen cornet is a good playing horn, and probably worth the restoration price. Getzen shut down their repair facility years ago, so an independant shop is your best bet. A complete overhaul with new silver plating and a new leadpipe is going to run you around $475, and should take around 6 weeks start to finish.

It's funny -- some say "turn it into wall art, it's not THAT good" and others say "great horn worth restoring." I recall hearing a British brass-band type once comment that the Getzen Eterna cornet is "pretty good for a yank horn." High praise from someone who was taught that the only horns worth playing are made in England.

It IS a good horn at heart. It can be a great player (just not pretty) with a couple hundred dollars worth of work. It would break my heart to hang it on the wall. Before I'd do that, I'd do the minimum to make it playable and give it to some kid who wants to play but can't afford a good horn. This thing was made to play, not to DIS-play.

What bothers me is that, between the price I paid and the price of a complete overhaul, I've paid for a new horn (WWBW sells the 800S for $1029). Granted, that's pretty close to what I'd have, but still... if I wanted to buy one new I would have. The one thing this horn has that the $1029 horn at WWBW doesn't is a first slide trigger. That's worth a couple dollars, but not a fortune.

I guess there's validity in making it playable and stopping there. After all, I bought it to play, not to look at.

D.
Conn Vintage One Flugelhorn -- GR66FD
Yamaha YCR-6335HS Cornet -- Sparx 3
---
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps. It's part of an e-message from someone I met while selling one of my mp's:

"Jeff,
There is something special about these old
eternas. If you can get your hands on a
'60s eterna cornet--grab it. I have a LA Benge 8Z,
Bach 184 XL Bore, Schilke XA1, Wild Bill
Davison's King Super 20, -----and the Getzen
has a purer cornet tone than any of the others.
I play a 16E Yamaha mouthpiece-short style-
which sounds more mellow than my Kanstul
flugelhorn when used with the getzen. Great for
laid back jazz or church work.

Mark"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: