• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case that fits under an airplane seat?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenhHunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Case that fits under an airplane seat? Reply with quote

I have a few auditions coming up that require more horns than can fit into my Stomvi Quad. Does anyone have a recommendation for a case that can fit under an airplane seat? I originally was going to try and get one from Schilke for my P5-4 but it was $400 + shipping so that's a dead end.
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard Gard single bag works just fine. I flew with mine all the time and stuck it under a seat, until I switched to a double bag. The only exception is if you get a seat with one of those electrical boxes under it, but I'm not sure any case would fit under that.

By the way, if you end up in a seat that you can't fit it under, or upgraded to a front seat that doesn't have that option, I've been pretty successful at buttering up the flight attendants to get it stuck in the coat closet in first class. In fact, I don't think I've ever been turned down. I just make some wistful noises about the delicate and expensive object that I could, presumably, make nice noises with, were I adequately skilled.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have MANY times been able to fit my SKB case under the seat on flights.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--SKB1SKB130
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Case that fits under an airplane seat? Reply with quote

BenhHunter wrote:
I have a few auditions coming up that require more horns than can fit into my Stomvi Quad.

You're talking multiple horns.
How are you going to fit them into one, under-the-sea bag/case, anyway?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read up for your specific carrier too. Some of them have rules allowing musical instruments. I know violinists often carry on a case (sometimes a double case). Picking a bag that looks kind of a like a carry on is a good step and BadHomreSure offers a good strategy.
BenhHunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Case that fits under an airplane seat? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
BenhHunter wrote:
I have a few auditions coming up that require more horns than can fit into my Stomvi Quad.

You're talking multiple horns.
How are you going to fit them into one, under-the-sea bag/case, anyway?

I'm not. I'll be putting my Quad in the Overhead, and a smaller case under the seat in front of me.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marcus Bonna double trumpet flight case (specifically the flight case, not the regular double) is very flat and would likely fit well under an airplane seat. It's certainly a good bit flatter than a Gard single. However, it's quite pricey - I've generally seen it for around $500 USD.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for your piccolo specifically, you can try a protec cornet case. Add some extra pads or a folded up towel and it'll be fine.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
I have MANY times been able to fit my SKB case under the seat on flights.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--SKB1SKB130

I have one of these that I have flown with many times as well.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair warning - the Bonna Flight Case fits under the seat ... but also sticks out quite a bit when I flew with one.

The Reunion Blues Continental single also fits under a seat (and I think I remember a few people using the cornet ones for piccolos).

Best of luck!
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are bringing that second case just for a piccolo, look into one of the Marcus Bonna piccolo cases that are designed to zip onto their 2-trumpet flight case. They are designed to fit a picc and are very compact. I believe that someone actually had one listed in the marketplace just a couple of days ago.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a flight attendant, and you will want to be careful here. Anything that sticks out far enough to hinder a quick (possible emergency exit) can be a no-no. There is a shocking amount of space under some seats, less on other (different model) airplanes. It’s generally a judgement call - and with some flight attendants it’s only their judgement that matters. Anything that extends further than the furthest portion of the seat over it may be a red flag to safe flying. Fascinating thread though; I’m following it closely. Good luck!
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
I’m a flight attendant, and you will want to be careful here. Anything that sticks out far enough to hinder a quick (possible emergency exit) can be a no-no. There is a shocking amount of space under some seats, less on other (different model) airplanes. It’s generally a judgement call - and with some flight attendants it’s only their judgement that matters. Anything that extends further than the furthest portion of the seat over it may be a red flag to safe flying. Fascinating thread though; I’m following it closely. Good luck!

Curious, I would assume, if we have a window seat, the only person it could possible give issues would be ourself and that might be okay? Secondly, I don't remember when I book flights about under storage, only that I can pay more for more leg room, do those seats have more room that you are talking about or is there specific ones that have a ton more besides first class, like before/after wing etc?

Normally, when flying wit a guitar, they just put it in a closet for me as I board, I have had them do that for my trumpet before as well. I have yet to have an issue with that, the staff have always been super kind and understanding of musical instruments from what I have personally dealt with.

-marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: