• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The "Other" lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-29 19:33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the help of you folks and Mr. Callet, I have a much better understanding of the tongue and top lip compression thing (previous threads). But I've recently made a discovery..............there'e another lip in this deal! Really! I wouldn't joke around 'bout a thing like that. It's been there all along.

OK, OK.........down to serious stuff. My understanding is that the top lip compresses in and down against the widening and thickening tongue as we aacend. Does the bottom lip start out kinda rolled out (pouted) a bit in the low register and, sorta, mirrors the movement of the top lip as we ascend? Or does it stay mostly stable, in a pout or rolled in somewhat? I remember Callet writing about surrounding the tongue with the lips, and am not quite sure I get that. Lemme know what you think. Dave

BTW, good luck with the up-coming Trumpet fests. Wish I could attend.

[ This Message was edited by: Dave Converse on 2003-05-29 19:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dave Converse on 2003-05-30 21:37 ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-05-30 19:34
Dave,

<<Does the bottom lip start out kinda rolled out (pouted) a bit in the low register and, sorta, mirrors the movement of the top lip as we ascend?>>

Yes, this is correct. Start with a bit of a pout, but as you ascend the bottom lip will come in against the tongue too.

Best regards, Kyle

Jeff Young

Posted: 2003-05-30 21:13
One more question on the lower lip. Are we developing what was taught in the old super chops method as the chin bunch to support the lower lip? I know that Mr. Callet has gotten away form the concept of extreme upward chin bunching, but I was still wondering how these muscles are used and if they will look the same, as say, the Harry James chin.

Jeff Young

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-05-30 23:22
Mr. Callet no longer teaches the "chin bunch" as many students were overdoing it and getting into trouble. A correct chin bunch is a natural result rather than a conscious effort. In regard to Harry James - copy everything except perhaps the alcohol and the womanizing. Ah what the hell, copy it all! Best regards, Kyle
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, skip the alcohol... Alright, if you're a lady, you can skip the women, too. (Speaking as a guy, and a trumpet player, just replacing "womanizing" with "going after the guys" is not a wise choice...)

As for this: "Mr. Callet no longer teaches the "chin bunch" as many students were overdoing it and getting into trouble."

I wish I had a dime, or even a penny, for every time I, or somebody, has tried something only to fail miserably from "overdoing it". Much of these great big serious honkin' manipulations we do only feel that way, if even that. Moderation in all things seems to me especially appropriate in trumpet playing. Rather than thinking if a little is ok, more is better, think less is more. So often I've found that approaching something from "small" side helps me more than making some big change. For SC, it's a pretty big change as it is for a lot of folk, and once the basic set is in play the advice I've received (and no, I'm not a 'real" SC'er) is to make small adjustments to tweak things in. From following the path of a relative (an SC rep and devotee of Jerome), my outsider's observation is that, once Mr. Callet set him on the path, the hardest part was to refine his SC chops (oops, that's redundant) in a small way to perfection. He (a great though not well known pro player, btw) talked of the same things discussed here: overdoing the chin bunch, overdoing the lip positioning, overdoing the high note squeaks (before getting the tone and support in the lower range), you name it.

FWIWFM - Don (Kyle, wipe/edit/counter if not appropriate! I warned ya'... )
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, Very helpful post, per usual. It reminds me of the 3 reasons that I think people should take lessons (SC, of course!):

1.get started on the right path (even if we THINK we already are)
2.In regard to the fine points, realize where we THOUGHT we knew what "he" was saying, but really didn't
3.be guided when we are overdoing it or underdoing it

- Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: