• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Case Holder Recommendations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
surferbob

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:27 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece Case Holder Recommendations Reply with quote

I'm looking for a case which holds mouthpieces. All I can seem to find are pouches which may hold 4 at a time. It would be nice to have a case which can hold 20 or so at a time. I have too many mouthpieces lying around the apartment and I want to take better care of them. Does anyone know of a case you can get which holds mouthpiece?
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the mouthpieces are going to be at home and you don't need to move them, I think any shoe box can do.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
X200

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason not to keep equipment organized and in good shape if that's your thing. Bach sells mouthpiece display cases:

https://mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=485_25
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could get a Pelican-type case with the pluck foam option and go all creative...

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-small-black-64550.html

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qidjoucok0t9zp/Mouthpieces%20cases.jpg?dl=0

On the left is a men's leather travel toiletry bag with two quad Gard mpc pouches for the mpcs I use the most. The two Harbor Freight cases house much, but not all, of my collection. And btw, I can get up to 8 mpcs in those quad Gard mpc pouches!
X200

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Or you could get a Pelican-type case with the pluck foam option and go all creative...

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-small-black-64550.html

On the left is a men's leather travel toiletry bag with two quad Gard mpc pouches for the mpcs I use the most. The two Harbor Freight cases house much, but not all, of my collection. And btw, I can get up to 8 mpcs in those quad Gard mpc pouches!

Really nice! The price is right, too.

What tool did you use to cut the foam cleanly?
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to display them, you can just buy a cheap spool holder. You can buy them at Joann fabric or on amazon.

Here is a post from Mary showing her setup: https://fb.watch/cUYzIm01ot/

hope that helps!

-marc
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. Out of stock.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon May 09, 2022 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X200 wrote:
dstpt wrote:

It's been awhile since I bought and "configured" these, but I seem to recall using a quality serrated knife and ice pick to help "separate" the already perforated foam "cuboids." If you just take your time and not get in a hurry (like I did!), you'll come out with a nice mouthpiece case. Mine is not quite symmetrical all the way across. The tricky thing at first for me was figuring out how much space I really needed for a basic tpt mpc, so I started from one edge toward the back corner, allowing enough space so the mpc would barely miss the edge of the case and then tried to leave enough space between each subsequent mpc "hole." Of course, I wanted to maximize the amount of mpcs I'd be able to place inside it but without them touching. The "bumpy" foam on the inside of the lid holds each mpc in place without it coming out of its slot/hole. I don't take these Pelican-type cases to gigs, since they're pretty heavy once you get them full of tpt mpcs but only use for storage.

I've been tempted to get a display (like marc [Notiem] mentioned using a cheap spool holder), but being exposed, the silver will oxidize much faster than having them inside a case. I generally swab out each piece with a Q-Tip before storing and closing the lid, FYI.
surferbob

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:

This is actually a really cool idea! Thank you so much!
X200

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very helpful, dstpt.

I may have to give this a whirl. Thanks!
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one costs nothing (assuming you or someone you know likes cigars).

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see your post, X200 Does that mean you found your way out of the concert-hall basement?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
surferbob

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
X200 wrote:
dstpt wrote:

It's been awhile since I bought and "configured" these, but I seem to recall using a quality serrated knife and ice pick to help "separate" the already perforated foam "cuboids." If you just take your time and not get in a hurry (like I did!), you'll come out with a nice mouthpiece case. Mine is not quite symmetrical all the way across. The tricky thing at first for me was figuring out how much space I really needed for a basic tpt mpc, so I started from one edge toward the back corner, allowing enough space so the mpc would barely miss the edge of the case and then tried to leave enough space between each subsequent mpc "hole." Of course, I wanted to maximize the amount of mpcs I'd be able to place inside it but without them touching. The "bumpy" foam on the inside of the lid holds each mpc in place without it coming out of its slot/hole. I don't take these Pelican-type cases to gigs, since they're pretty heavy once you get them full of tpt mpcs but only use for storage.

I've been tempted to get a display (like marc [Notiem] mentioned using a cheap spool holder), but being exposed, the silver will oxidize much faster than having them inside a case. I generally swab out each piece with a Q-Tip before storing and closing the lid, FYI.

Do you happen to remember what size box you got? If I did that I'd want to make sure there's enough space for the mouthpiece to go all the way in

Last edited by surferbob on Mon May 09, 2022 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
X200

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cigar box is a nice idea, too. There is a smoke shop in my town that unloads those for pennies.
X200

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Glad to see your post, X200 Does that mean you found your way out of the concert-hall basement?

Do you have me confused with another forum member?

dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surferbob wrote:
...Do you happen to remember what size box you got? If I did that I'd want to make sure there's enough space for the mouthpiece to go all the way in

I actually bought Monoprice cases ($30)...

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12680&turntosku=12680&turntoEmailType=reviewSolicitation&turntosuid=SUAEYkAXYQ&transId=1772615&reviewStartAction=rateIt&starSelected=0&turntoFromRebelmail=1&turntoflow=review&cl=res&utm_source=email_turnto_review&utm_medium=email&utm_content=email_turnto_review&utm_campaign=email_turnto_review#turntodone

(Sorry, I still haven't learned how to create a hyperlink using a single word.)

Some of the specs on that page...

9.7" x 8.5" x 4.5" (246 x 216 x 115 mm) external dimensions
8.8" x 6.4" x 3.8" (224 x 162 x 96 mm) internal dimensions
Weighs only 2.49 lbs (1.13 kg)

[NOTE that the case weighs more than many Bb tpts! They are hefty!]

The Harbor Freight model I pulled up ($13)...

Inside Height (in.) 3-3/4 in.
Inside Width (in.) 5-5/8 in.
Inside Length (in.) 8-1/8 in.
Shipping Weight 1.90 lb.

So you can see the Monoprice (M) version is a little bigger than the one from Harbor Freight (HB), but the (HB) case is less than half the price but only a little bit less room than the (M) case, so the HB case might be worth it. A normal tpt mpc measures 3.5 inch in height, so either case should accommodate. You might find some others online that are closer to the (M) case but less expensive, too.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X200 wrote:
Cigar box is a nice idea, too. There is a smoke shop in my town that unloads those for pennies.

My wife would ask:
Why do you need all those mouthpieces?
Where are you going to keep them all?
Why do you save those cigar boxes?
What are you going to use that drill press for?

Simple solution/answer to all (except the first -- she'll never understand).

I chose the hole sizes to hold the pieces firmly without them bottoming out:
Cornet - 3/8"
Trumpet - 7/16"
Flugelhorn - 13/32"
Baritone - 15/32"
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Features of the Bach case worth mentioning that might be desirable in DIY options:

- The case closes up, which protects the pieces from tarnish
- Velvet cloth type material versus wood or foam against the plating (not sure it matters)
- The mouthpieces are stored upright in such a way that you can read the engraving quickly without having to pull each one looking for a mouthpiece

I think the best option would be something like the Bach case but with shallow slide out drawers, like a shallow drawer toolbox.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inexpensive storage cases from the crafts aisle at Wal-Mart. Just the right size for one trumpet mouthpiece or two cornet mouthpieces in each compartment.

surferbob

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Inexpensive storage cases from the crafts aisle at Wal-Mart. Just the right size for one trumpet mouthpiece or two cornet mouthpieces in each compartment.

Nice! Thats good to know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: