• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Strad - 32 Years Older - WHAT a Difference!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgosvig

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Bach Strad - 32 Years Older - WHAT a Difference! Reply with quote

Hi All: I invite thoughts and comments on this recent experience...

I recently sold a 2009 Bach Stradivarius 37. It simply wasn't working for me. It had hints of greatness, but it just felt thick and heavy, and required too much effort to get moving. The horn didn't feel nimble and resonant. I also found the valves sluggish, no matter how many times I cleaned and oiled. All in all, it was just too much work. So, I finally sold it and bought an Olds Recording (now getting a valve overhaul from Oberloh's in Seattle).

I absolutely LOVE the warm, rich sound of the Recording, and will keep that horn forever. But...the pure, brilliant legit sound that the Strad hinted at (when it finally did get moving), was also something I desired for classical pieces.

So, I hunted about and finally, yesterday, purchased another Strad 37 - this time a 1977 model. I almost hit the floor when I played this horn. It's everything I sought when I bought my first Strad....clean, pure and resonant with brilliant tone and outstanding projection. The notes are fat and round. This horn is SO much more sonorous. And - the valves are wonderful - nimble, precise and quick.

How is it possible that this is the same brand and model? Yes, the first Strad showed occasional promise this potential, but it was just slow and resistant by comparison. My new (old) one is astoundingly better - SO much more of what I remember coming from my trumpet teacher years ago.

I suppose it's possible that the 2009 horn was from the tail end of the strike and still suffered from spotty craftsmanship. Or, perhaps later models will just never match the sonic beauty of Bach's glory days?

I haven't tried a new Strad, so I don't know how they measure up. However, just based upon my little sample of 2009 and 1977, it seems that older may indeed be better. At least it was in this case.

What are others' thoughts and experiences? Is what I encountered normal, or could it just have been a case of a bad day at the factory for my 2009 Strad?
Theshinytrumpet

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not an uncommon occurrence. I recently had a similar experience. I had a relatively new Bach, but it wasn't everything I was looking for (primarily just the fact that it was a 43 and not a 37). I sold it because I also have a super nice Olds recording that just made that particular horn obsolete. I was recently the worlds luckiest person and found a MINT condition early Elkhart 37 at an estate sale (for a VERY good price). It's easily 10x better than the Bach that I sold.

Bach used to have serious QC and consistency issues. That has been discussed on this forum for years, so I will refrain from going that direction.
Soulo Mutes
www.rockfordtrumpetstudio.com
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bach Strad - 32 Years Older - WHAT a Difference! Reply with quote

bgosvig wrote:
... but it just felt thick and heavy, and required too much effort to get moving. The horn didn't feel nimble and resonant. ...

-------------------------
Lots of possible causes. If someone else experiences a similar situation, I suggest that after 'general cleaning', the next step is to explore 'valve alignment' and 'mouthpiece gap' - there are some simple DIY testing methods that don't require much mechanical skill or special equipment.

As far as the sluggish valve action (but no mention of sticking), that seems to be a problem with choice of oil, or maybe weak springs.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big Bach fan but in my experience, you need to play a bunch until you find one that works for you.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, also with Strads, I found it worth the expense to send them to James Becker at Osmun Music for blueprinting. Every horn I sent Jim has come back a much better player. I just got my Benge 6X back, needed a PVA, etc., and it's a player, looks great too. Now has my 74 Strad, it's been blueprinted, but I'm now getting a Charlie Melk MV 525 leadpipe and bronze tuning slide installed. I can't wait to get it back.

Jim's evaluation and blueprinting may be all your first Strad needed, but I wouldn't hesitate to send the 77.
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
bgosvig

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theshinytrumpet wrote:
This is not an uncommon occurrence. I recently had a similar experience. I had a relatively new Bach, but it wasn't everything I was looking for (primarily just the fact that it was a 43 and not a 37). I sold it because I also have a super nice Olds recording that just made that particular horn obsolete. I was recently the worlds luckiest person and found a MINT condition early Elkhart 37 at an estate sale (for a VERY good price). It's easily 10x better than the Bach that I sold.

Bach used to have serious QC and consistency issues. That has been discussed on this forum for years, so I will refrain from going that direction.

I suppose I haven't been on this forum long enough to have seen those long-running discussions regarding Bach's QC issues.

It's validating to hear that you and others have had the same experience. I had difficulty believing it was the same model.

The big lesson for me in all of this is...NEVER buy a horn, regardless of how enticing the online deal may look, without playing it first. Now that I realize how widely performance and quality can vary, even within a well-regarded brand, I will proceed with due caution.

That said, like you, I'm immensely pleased with my current small quiver - the Strad, the Recording (sonic butter - a trumpet legend) and a travel backup horn I'm about to buy - a Bach Mercedes (the original - not the student II model).

After this, I can't imagine needing much more. Of course, what does "need" ever really have to do with any of this?
bgosvig

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach Strad - 32 Years Older - WHAT a Difference! Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
bgosvig wrote:
... but it just felt thick and heavy, and required too much effort to get moving. The horn didn't feel nimble and resonant. ...

-------------------------
Lots of possible causes. If someone else experiences a similar situation, I suggest that after 'general cleaning', the next step is to explore 'valve alignment' and 'mouthpiece gap' - there are some simple DIY testing methods that don't require much mechanical skill or special equipment.

As far as the sluggish valve action (but no mention of sticking), that seems to be a problem with choice of oil, or maybe weak springs.

These are all good suggestions, and much appreciated. Soon after buying the first Strad (2009), I brought it to my local Bach dealer, and their well-regarded service shop.

They went through the horn, cleaned it, updated any worn parts, and tended to almost all adjustable parameters. In their summation, the horn had no obvious issues - everything seemed to fit and align. With regard to the valves, their reply was that the horn just needed more playing (yet...it was already 12 years old). I was reluctant to lap the valves myself. They didn't stick at all - just lazy.

It could be that in a more technical owner's hands, this horn could have been optimized more. Yet, the difference between the two was so abundant I'm not sure any amount finessing could have bridged that gap.
bgosvig

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi, also with Strads, I found it worth the expense to send them to James Becker at Osmun Music for blueprinting. Every horn I sent Jim has come back a much better player. I just got my Benge 6X back, needed a PVA, etc., and it's a player, looks great too. Now has my 74 Strad, it's been blueprinted, but I'm now getting a Charlie Melk MV 525 leadpipe and bronze tuning slide installed. I can't wait to get it back.

Jim's evaluation and blueprinting may be all your first Strad needed, but I wouldn't hesitate to send the 77.

Wow! That's a whole 'nother level of "dialing-in". I've never gone to those lengths with any horn I've owned. But, I'm also not a pro player. If I was, I'd probably do so in a heartbeat.

It'sgood to know these options are out there. As happy as I am with my new Strad, and my new Recording, I'm sure both could be lifted to another level.

I may wait awhile to see how far I get by just familiarizing myself with both horns, and practicing properly (mindfully). Once I hit my upside limit, I could be easily be enticed to look at these upgrade options.
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My regular Bb is a Bach 37 from 1979 or so. Its a great horn for sure but needs some work, new lead pipe at least. I'll probably end up spending the money to rebuild it.
Department of Music (Trumpet)
California State University, Fresno
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I asked to have a blow on a section mate’s 37 back in school, they always felt dull, stuffy, and tight. These were all 90s/2000s era silver plated stock 37s; the brown cases. Everyone had them, and for me they never clicked. I preferred my Olds Ambassador!

Just a few years ago by chance, I picked up an old lacquered 37 from 1967, a true Early Elkhart. It was a totally different experience; like putting on an old pair of shoes that fit perfectly. Familiar, responsive, and exactly the sound I had in my head. It has become my main horn, and I sent it to Jim at Osmuns to blue print it. Absolutely the most balanced horn I’ve ever played.

Thread killer.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to try some horns from after they recovered from a generation of employees being treated as if they were working in a pick-up truck plant. (after the UAW got booted)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bgosvig, there is a reason I'm doing this with my Bach. It's more about the sound and I'm looking for more core to my sound. I've been playing mostly commercial gigs the last 20+, some shows and an occasional church, concert band, or brass gig. In the USN I played lead in the Showband, some big bands, etc.

I'm retired from the Navy and retiring from teaching next month. I auditioned for a grad program and though I play a Yamaha Hagstrom on Bb and a Bach Symphonic 1 1/2 C on C trumpet, I realize that I will have to work on my sound. The horns I'm using are more than adequate, Stomvi VR, Benge 6X, and the Bach 37, but I have a naturally bright sound, probably due to teeth and mouth cavity. It's not about another level, well maybe, but using the right tool for the job. What will give me the right sound for orchestra and quintet, etc. on the legit side.

Since I fell into the CM MV 525 at a reasonable price, I figure the transformation of the Bach can't hurt and if it don't work for me, it should sell easy. In another thread I am contemplating keeping the Bach or getting a Thane or Bach 190. I will update that thread after I get my 37 back.

Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at the new ones as well, I did not care for the 180s I tried, but the 190s sold me. Be interesting to see how a new one stacks against the old one you tested.

You can hear the differences in their artist programs, select and listen to different 180's, then choose 190's.

https://select.conn-selmer.com

I did get one though this program, it played nothing like the 190 they had in the store, glad I did it. Compression is insane, slides pop back to starting position when I flick them.

Bach, as one of the more refined posters here pointed out, are still considered boutique, so each individual one of the same model has its own characteristics.

So try some different ones to see if it speaks to you before they figure out how to make them all have the same generic sound and you can't find your Ferrari of the bunch anymore.
Georgetown, TX
2022 Bach 190s37 artist select
1976 Schilke X3lb
Jupiter 846l black lacquer
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I got a message from a fellow THer about Bach trumpets. Here's my take and I hope he doesn't mind my sharing.

My first pro horn was a Stad. back in 1973. My trumpet prof picked it out with me. Yes, it's funny how inconsistent they sometimes were when trying a half dozen horns. I guess that's mass production for you. That horn, to me got stuffy when playing above high C. I didn't care for playing shows with it and I later switched to a Benge 6X when playing shows big band lead. It was had a much more open and consistent blow.

I'm not saying I'm loyal to Bach, but for certain jobs that's the sound I'm looking for. I have played my share of good and bad Bachs. My C is a Bach 239 25A and was made a much better horn after blueprinting. I had a Schilke C, great horn, but not quite the same sound or blow.

The problem I see with Bach was quality control. Things like solder blobs in the horns, bell bow needing rounding, tension at some of the connecting areas, slides not perfectly aligned. Jim at Osmun corrects these areas in any trumpet and you would be amazed at how these corrections can effect the playability of any horn.

In the military bands I performed with I played what ever was issued. Most of the trumpets were Bach 37. I did at one time own a 1965 72 MLV. It was a great horn and I should have kept that one.

I recently tried a 190 Artisan and yes, sound, quality and playability were all there. However the price kept me from buying it. Would have to play an awful lot of gigs to pay that one off.

I hope this helps, Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, I apologies to the OP, I'm not trying to take over this thread, just throwing out some opinion and personal experience.

Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
bgosvig

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi again, I apologies to the OP, I'm not trying to take over this thread, just throwing out some opinion and personal experience.

Dave

Dave:

Your suggestions are all excellent and with solid logic. Much appreciated.

Alas, I believe I'm probably a good distance behind most posters in this thread in terms of playing proficiency - a lot of pros in this group.

I used to ski at a high level. In those days, the slightest variation in my edges or waxing would make or break my day.

I expect that blueprinting a horn yields similar discernible results for the higher-level players on this forum. For you folks, the slightest variation, one way or the other, feels as huge to you as my going from the 2009 horn to the 1977 did for me.

If I ever ascend to your heights, the added benefits of blueprinting and other refinements mentioned here will become increasingly meaningful, and I'll pursue them with zeal, as you have.

I aspire to those heights, but whether or not I achieve it in this body remains to be seen (the clock isn't in my favor .

Regardless, I'm delighted to have found such freedom and pleasure in the '77 horn. It's just an eye-opener to realize such vast variation exists within the model, even for non-pro player like me.

I spent my life in the high-end audio industry. To some extent, whatever I may lack in trumpet technique, endurance and range, I make up for in my critical listening acuity. I'm a decent player, and love pure sound. I'm just not nearly as good as I'd like - too many years without practicing.

Among mere musical mortals, I consider myself immensely fortunate to have found this horn, and the Olds Recording I'm now having overhauled.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again bgosvig, thanks for the kind words. Truthfully, I’ve been teaching 8 classes a day of general music and now have no planning periods and don’t get to practice every morning like I did when I taught band. I also sat and played with the students while teaching band. I’ve spent too much time off the horn this year. Before I had 1 1/2 - 3 hours a day with the horn in my face.

I don’t think it has to do with how well you play at this point. Looks like you have two great horns working for you now and that’s half the battle. A horn that doesn’t play well or efficient makes playing harder and maybe not a joy. So, with your 77 you have a win win situation. Play it often, rest as much as you play, take lessons..

Some of the more fun military groups I played with were the faculty lab and concert bands at the Armed Forces School of Music and the US Navy Showband. I got to play and study with some world class musicians and it was fun. My horns have been blueprinted and play efficiently and therefore are fun to play. Keep playing join community bands, get exposure to better players and ask questions. I did this constantly when I was younger and still do it now. You should see my collection of method and Etude books (my favorite is Charlier). I’m 68 and about to enter a graduate program for trumpet performance. This is something I’ve always wanted to do. It will be fun and most important, I’ll learn and get better. My trumpet is a tool, I need the best playing instrument I can afford.

Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgosvig wrote:
Theshinytrumpet wrote:

It's validating to hear that you and others have had the same experience. I had difficulty believing it was the same model.

The big lesson for me in all of this is...NEVER buy a horn, regardless of how enticing the online deal may look, without playing it first.

Bingo, you got it. This is true of any brand, period.
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: