• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Once again ---- tone and TCE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
Jerry Freedman
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-24 17:58
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am progressing with TCE ( Thanks Kyle, Bruce, Dave) and my tone, as mentioned earlier can seem like an acoustic laser... this is a good thing if I want to be a screamer( doesn't everyone secretly want that?) but I want to have other tone qualities available to me...Jeanne Pocius who can pick off notes above double C at will can play Bousquet with such a delicate sound ...acoustical lace as compared with acoustical lasers. Callet writes in a short two page essay in the middle of TS that trumpets should sound like trumpets and if you want to sound like a cornet, buy one. But is that the end of the story? Its clearly not for Jeanne (or Leon Merian for that matter). Will I play "pretty" with TCE as easily as (I hope I will be able to) powerfully? Note that Civiletti is a fantastic player but he is definitely a "power" player.

Doesn't Dokshizer advocate different styles of tonguing for different sounds? What about flutter tonguing? rolling out the lower lip with maybe a small airpocket for a Chet Baker sound? Leon Merian has a buttery sound that can break your heart when he wants but can cut through a full size band when he wants.

Again, don't get me wrong... I want to master TCE but I am asking if TCE should be the ultimate goal or merely a tool to be used.

Jerry Freedman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-24 19:05
Good question. I'm really wanting to hear what the other guys say about this, too. My sound is also laser-like, but i found that if I open my teeth more, the sound opens up more. Also, while I plan to use the DT 10 for lead work, I can get a pretty good "legit" sound on the 10S (I would never have thought of a 10 S as an orchestral mpc, but it works ). What piece are you using? Dave

I am currently using a Bach 7C. I am a laid off software engineer and not in a position to do a lot of mouthpiece switching.

Jerry Freedman

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-05-24 19:31
Jerry, Don't forget that Harry James is the role model for SC. When Leon M. was described as having a buttery sound, it was said that he was 2nd only to Harry James. And of course, Leon is a big advocate of tonguing through the teeth like in SC. Once an embouchure becomes stable and efficient it can be adapted to any type of sound. Double and triple tonguing are much easier with SC than with any other system I've personally tried. Various tonguings like flutter, etc. are for special effects and they are freely available to SC. Best regards, Kyle

Jerry Freedman
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-24 20:40
Quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I studied with Leon in the late 70's and we still correspond. His approach is suprisingly similar to SC -- tongue through teeth, forward tongue high in the mouth ( he calls it hissing) and lots, lots, *LOTS* of compression..

Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-25 10:14
Here is one for Kyle...

Jerry Freedman mentioned Leon Merian recommending "hissing", and I believe the book "Trumpet Isometrics" says something about that, too.

Has Jerry Callet ever said anything like that about SC/TCE or inferred that to you in your sessions with him? I was going to ask him about that at ITG this week, but I failed to do so.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham

BTW, you (and Tyler) were missed by some of us at ITG.

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-05-25 23:26
Lex,

To my memory, Jerry has never used the term hissing or described his approach in that manner. But, he continually stresses that as you ascend you must use LESS air. This is the same thing that Harry James used to say. Perhaps it is appropriate to describe this as "hissing". If this prevents someone from overblowing then that would be well and good.

Best always, Kyle

PS - Tyler and I surely wanted to get to ITG. But, he had two band concerts over the weekend and I had a Friday gig. That combined with my crazy season at work and we just couldn't squeeze it in. Missed seeing all my buddies. Signed, disappointed in Pa!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: