• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke P7 piccolo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomterriff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Schilke P7 piccolo Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Schilke P7 piccolo. (This is the 3 valve version of the P7-4.) It is my favorite piccolo of all time. It blows easily and slots accurately. It can be played gently and sensitively and can also open up and sound almost like a full trumpet. Mine is the only one I have ever seen. Does anybody out there have experience with this model? Does anybody know it's history?
Picc - Benchmark, Schilke P7
Cornet - Getzen 3850 Bb, Getzen 3810 C
Flugel - Selmer Paris 62, Selmer Concept
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what is listed on the Schilke Loyalist:

"P7 - This was originally a smaller bore (0.437 inch), three valve horn similar in design to the original P5 above. The first was built in 1971, but the next in 1982. It remained in the catalog, but not in the price list, and sells in very small numbers. In 2003, the P7 was built with the same valve cluster as the P5 and the bore enlarged to 0.450. Schilke provided a P7 to Rick Baptist for use in the Los Angeles studios and was thrilled with the sound and the blow. Since then, Schilke developed the P7-4"

I have a P4 with an aftermarket third valve rotor slide that lowers the pitch a minor third; so low F is 3+rotor. It's a great horn for musical theater...

HTH

Ben
tomterriff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ben. Mine gets used in musical theater a lot. It's perfect for the small pit theaters I play in. Where did you get your after market rotor slide? I would love to get one for this horn.
Picc - Benchmark, Schilke P7
Cornet - Getzen 3850 Bb, Getzen 3810 C
Flugel - Selmer Paris 62, Selmer Concept
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played on a colleagues many years ago and really enjoyed it. I talked to someone else who owned one and enjoyed it quite a bit. I like it more than the P7-4, for sure. Both players said they would never sell, and I assume that feeling is pretty common among the owners of those horns.

They are special order from Schilke and, because they are likely someone's second piccolo, they are few and far between. (Because 4th valves are a requirement for a lot of literature, probably owing to the massive success of the P5-4). If the P7 is one's main picc, that person would probably need a good short bell D trumpet to fill a lot of gaps.

Congrats on a great find!
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomterriff,

I bought the horn from a friend in Italy and it already had the rotor. If I recall correctly, he said the slide was made by one of the German custom shops.

Bill Jones has made a similar slide for my Yamaha YTR-9636 Ed; perhaps he could whip one up for you...

Ben
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My P7-4 is my favorite instrument bar none. It can do everything well. I didn’t realize how limited the small bore piccolos were until I played this (and learned to appreciate Maurice Andre even more).
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Schilke P4 with a Yamaha 9820 3rd rotor. It was an amazing free-blowing piccolo and I actually preferred it over my P5-4, but alas I could only justify owning one piccolo and I needed the 4th valve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: