• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carnegie Mellon--A. Pasquarelli

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richwharton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand A. Pasquarelli at Carnegie Mellon has instructed many fine players. If you are one of them, please post something about your time spent studying with him. Was he an effective teacher? Is he still?

http://www.cmu.edu/cfa/music/facultyandstaff/
trumpeterb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied with "Boss" for a short period of time. I began my graduate work at CMU, while I was teaching full time in a public school just outside of Pittsburgh. I was only at CMU for one semester, as I found a different teaching job in my home area of PA, and moved soon after to start the new job. I continued my grad work at Youngstown State University. I can tell you, however, that from that single semester of study with Boss, he is a real perfectionist. He is now in his mid to late 80's, he no longer plays but still teaches, and has no quims about telling you when you don't do something the way he likes it. I remember my first lesson with him was spent playing a C whole note. He had that note taped onto his music stand. I asked him which method book he wanted me to take out, and he simply said that I didn't need one, we would be using the "C" today. I played a third space C whole note for a hour until I finally played it how he wanted it....correct intonation, perfect attack (or lack thereof....he doesn't like hard attacks at all), perfectly even crescendo and decrescendo, and perfect release. I wasn't allowed to even open a book until I could play the "C". After having several lessons with him, and finally getting into some books, I found him to be very traditional in his teaching....very old school as well. He was big on Baroque music, Clarke solos, etc. He didn't do much with me in terms of 20th century stuff, and he did no jazz at all with me. He was also very specific about equipment. He suggested that all of his students play bach trumpets, and use the largest possible mouthpiece. He changed me from a Monette B6 to a Bach 1......that's right....not a 1C, a straight 1 with a huge throat. All in all, I did learn a lot from him. Much of what he taught I disagreed with, but nontheless, I took some very good things away from his studio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: