• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to Metal Stamp on Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
picctpt33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: How to Metal Stamp on Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I have lots of mouthpieces with different throats and backbores that are not marked. How would one go about stamping the size of the throat or backbore on the mouthpiece at home?

I have a metal stamping numbers kit, but I'm not sure how to secure the mouthpiece to be able to stamp it.

Any ideas are welcome!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I vented the valves on my horns, I took a piece of scrap 2x4, took a router & dug out a "trench" that held them quite nicely.

I suppose you could do the same with a generic mpc outline.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a throat gage, essentially a tapered cylinder with marks to indicate the hole (throat) size.

Backbore, what Tim said, or use modeling clay or similar and insert into the backbore to make a mold then measure or compare to a reference backbore online or where ever.
picctpt33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Stamping Reply with quote

Basically I'm asking what kind of surface I could use to place the mouthpiece on so that it would be secure for when I would stamp the mouthpiece.

On Greg Black's website, you can see that he has a metal bench block with indentations of trumpet, trombone, and tuba mouthpieces:

https://gregblackmouthpieces.com/products/custom-mouthpiece-stamping

As I do not have a block like this, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of what else I could use
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member trpthrld gave the best advice for a DIY approach, I think. I would add you may want to use a piece of hardwood rather than pine or douglas fir. If you do not have experience stamping on metal I would practice on a scrap piece of brass. You will want an accurate blow from the hammer, everything square, with the correct amount of force for the desired depth. You may want to hold the stamping die with a pair of channel locks to avoid bone injury.
Department of Music (Trumpet)
California State University, Fresno
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stamping Reply with quote

picctpt33 wrote:
Basically I'm asking what kind of surface I could use to place the mouthpiece on so that it would be secure for when I would stamp the mouthpiece. ...

-----------------------------------
A piece of wood (e.g. 2X4) cut with a V-shaped channel.
I use a hockey puck as a 'pounding surface' for many things - screw the puck to a piece of wood (from bottom of wood UP into the bottom of the puck), and attach another strip of wood to the bottom of the wood base to act as a hook so the platform can be held tight against the edge of a bench top.

When stamping a mouthpiece, I'd be careful about not distorting the inner dimensions. To mark yours, using a vibrator marking tool should work fine and have less chance of doing damage. But yeah - practice FIRST.
https://www.harborfreight.com/electric-engraver-46099.html
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest thing to do would be to use thermoplastic to make a holder. (Search thermoplastic beads on Amazon)

Heat the beads in some hot water, carefully form into a block, push a mouthpiece into the block to make an impression, let cool to harden. Of course this would only work for one blank shape - just re-heat the block to make another impression.
picctpt33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thank you for these ideas
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or

for a less permanent solution

print out a small tag on a laser printer so the ink won't run
in 8 or 9 point Helvetica

then cut it to size

wrap it with clear heat shrink tubing with plenty of extra

shrink it
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craft stores sell a tool for holding the stamps that works great. It looks like a stick with a ring at the end. It makes it easy to hold the stamp nice and straight. Then get an aluminum V-block from McMaster or similar. A cheap one. Then you need a brass or plastic ring that fits on the end of the shank and is about the same size as the big end. Then lay it in the v-block and you are set. I usual put done paper in the v block to keep from scarring the mouthpiece but you are only gonna use a little bit of force with the hammer. Use a small brass stamping hammer from sane you get the stamp holder from. None of this stuff is very much money
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: