• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3rd slide water key or not? And thoughts on Pollard keys?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: 3rd slide water key or not? And thoughts on Pollard keys? Reply with quote

The only horn I've owned with a 3rd slide water key is the Edwards X-13.

My 43 Strad, NY7 Strad, AustinWinds 460, and AustinWinds 470 all have 3rd slide end pull offs.

What's your preferred configuration? Do you think it affects the horn at all?

Also, who has experience with Pollard water keys? I hadn't seen them until ITG, and unfortunately the one that I saw was leaking air. It seemed to correct itself when I came back to the horn a bit later....but it didn't give me a good first impression. Maybe it was a fluke?
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer one water key on the tuning slide only, and that it be a Saturn. I will never have a spring break during a performance, or have to change a spring (and get pricked in the finger!), or deal with leaks (as with Pollards), or have to lubricate (as with Amados). I only have to disassemble them occasionally to clean (but always over a towel, so the small parts don't go bouncing everywhere). For the third slide, I prefer to pull the entire slide with either a stop pin system, or my fancy elastic string invention idea that I shared free of charge to the trumpet world in a TH thread this past week. Bach dump slides are often too close to the tuning slide water key area for me and are often unwieldy to remove, and the ones that are really easy to remove often will extend sometimes while playing. Me no wannuh play flat on low F-sharps.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I prefer one water key on the tuning slide only, and that it be a Saturn. I will never have a spring break during a performance, or have to change a spring (and get pricked in the finger!), or deal with leaks (as with Pollards), or have to lubricate (as with Amados). I only have to disassemble them occasionally to clean (but always over a towel, so the small parts don't go bouncing everywhere). For the third slide, I prefer to pull the entire slide with either a stop pin system, or my fancy elastic string invention idea that I shared free of charge to the trumpet world in a TH thread this past week. Bach dump slides are often too close to the tuning slide water key area for me and are often unwieldy to remove, and the ones that are really easy to remove often will extend sometimes while playing. Me no wannuh play flat on low F-sharps.

Have you ever tried the whole "press 2nd and 3rd valve, pull off the 2nd slide, tilt the horn upwards and blow"?

And what's the elastic string idea that you came up with? I use these silicone things from Amazon on my horns. So far they've been working great.

https://www.amazon.com/Jiayouy-Trumpet-Silicone-Accessory-Replacement/dp/B08SGLWXYF/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3V6LE0QJLY3Z7&keywords=trumpet+slide+stop&qid=1655167218&sprefix=trumpet+slide+stop%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-13
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
...Have you ever tried the whole "press 2nd and 3rd valve, pull off the 2nd slide, tilt the horn upwards and blow"?

Yes, and the lead player sitting to my right remembers that experience vividly! Ha! Seriously, since COVID, I've tried to be more disciplined in how I empty condensation (the proper doctoral term) from my horns. If I did that (again), it would be with a small towel cupped over the 2nd "exit" slide. In fact, over the past two+ years, I've adapted having a small towel or microfiber cloth over all "spit exits" during "expulsion."

ericmpena wrote:
And what's the elastic string idea that you came up with?

Sorry you missed it. I think most are hoping it will never appear ever again!

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159844

ericmpena wrote:
I use these silicone things from Amazon on my horns. So far they've been working great.

https://www.amazon.com/Jiayouy-Trumpet-Silicone-Accessory-Replacement/dp/B08SGLWXYF/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3V6LE0QJLY3Z7&keywords=trumpet+slide+stop&qid=1655167218&sprefix=trumpet+slide+stop%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-13

Ah, so someone is selling five of these on Amazon for the normal price of a single Yamaha version! Gotta love the free market!
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd slide water key or not? And thoughts on Pollard keys Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:

What's your preferred configuration? Do you think it affects the horn at all?

I prefer to dump the whole slide, like a Bach C...

The dump slide adds weight which definitely changes the tone and slotting of the horn. I didn't actually realize how much it mattered until I had a one piece 3rd slide made for my frankenhorn that is built on a Bach. I wanted the same mechanics of my Bach C, (unscrew the stop pin and dump the whole slide) but it changed the feel dramatically, so I am keeping the dump slide for most applications and only going to the one piece slide when I switch the horn over to a lightweight lead configuration.

I never liked Amados or Pollards, but I do appreciate the problem they solve on the main slide. I just don't feel like they ever empty the horn enough and the buttons are hard to find quickly if you need to do an emergency mid-measure empty (which happens more frequently due to the previous point).
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the dump slide, which I find to be the simplest and most effective. Lever water key is next.

Not a fan of the Amado-style. I find them to be less effective than lever-style water keys. I also find them (slightly) more prone to problems such as sticking or falling apart that are very difficult to deal with during a performance.

I did have a horn with Saturn-style water keys. Some have complained about leakage, but I never had an issue.

I have not played Pollard water keys.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate! water keys
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had OEM 3rd slide water keys added to my Bach 43 and my Bach 184. The 184 really needed one, because of the excess condensation a cornet produces, and because the dump slide is so close to the bell flare that I whacked the bell just about every time I removed it. I couldn’t really tell any difference in the way either horn played after I had the modification done.
highscreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. I just ordered a roll on Amazon. Let me know where to send the royalty payment.

HighScream Brass Brio and Dolce Models
Yamaha YTR-8335 LA Bb
1994 Bach Stradivarius 43 Sterling Silver / 25-O
Courtois 154R Flugelhorn
GR Mouthpieces: WB-Classic, WB-Studio-M
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, Lou...not you! Someone was bound to fall for this scam, but I thought you'd be above that! (It's not really a scam...just crazy talk, SpongeBob. Funny thing...it works and is very simple! AND you get some arts & crafts time in!)
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 184L cornet that had two different 3rd valve dump slides - one with an Amado and another with no water key.

I tried both many times, couldn't tell the difference at all.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong w/all the water keys mentioned. nor is there anything wrong with a 3rd water slide that pulls. I like two things about standard water keys; they look good, and you can adjust tension of the screw to change the tone.
https://yourbrass.com/
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update that I gave Pollard water keys a try and it leaks not only from the hole but also from the threads where the cap screws on.

I emailed Jerry Pollard about it but he sorta dismissed my claims, saying that in over 3,000 units he's has less than a dozen with issues.

So far my experience is 2 for 2 that leak terribly.

I'm sending my slide in to have the Pollard removed and a Saturn key added.

I'll keep my 3rd slide keyless since I'd rather not add holes to my horn. It takes 5 seconds to remove the slide, dump the water, and put the slide back on anyways. That's a minor inconvenience to have over making a hole that could possibly lead to leaking air or water.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
I emailed Jerry Pollard about it but he sorta dismissed my claims, saying that in over 3,000 units he's has less than a dozen with issues.

So far my experience is 2 for 2 that leak terribly.

Hmm. I hope that if this were my product saying “this has only happened in less than a dozen of the three thousand units installed” would be followed by “let’s see if we can figure out why your experience is different so I can prevent it in the future.”
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a Benge 5X and a Schilke X4 that both had dump slides. Come to think of it, I think I had to dump the whole third valve slide on the X4. I had Kanstul put a NOS Benge 3rd valve lever key on the 5X and an Amado key on the Schilke. I preferred both that way.

All Wild Thing horns come with two Amado keys, except the Short Cornet which came with a full compliment of lever keys.

A couple of those WT horns were the two flugelhorn, which came with three Amado keys. My first flugelhorn, a Kanstul 1025, had three lever keys.

Things don't last forever. Good horn maintenance has kept all my horns in good order.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested, here’s a short video of my Pollard water key leaking.

I filled my tuning slide with water and held it upright. Yesterday it was leaking from the hole. Today it’s leaking from the threads.

https://youtube.com/shorts/MKH-z-OTJec?feature=share

Last edited by ericmpena on Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few more emails, Jerry has offered to send my horn builder new Pollard keys…along with instruction on how to correctly install them.

Jerry Pollard insists that the installer did a poor job and that's why the water key is leaking.

I’ll update this thread once I know more info.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
After a few more emails, Jerry has offered to send my horn builder new Pollard keys…along with instruction on how to correctly install them.

Jerry Pollard insists that the installer did a poor job and that's why the water key is leaking.

I’ll update this thread once I know more info.

This is a good result. Except having to return your horn to the shop.

Assuming Mr Pollard is correct, and I am not in any way implying he isn’t, this would be a terrible position for a manufacturer of an item like this to be in. To be at the mercy of a third party who can thoroughly discredit your product without meaning to would be challenging.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my repair guy install both Saturn and Pollard water keys successfully, when he had not seen them before.

I'm curious how one could install them wrong such that it is the Pollard key that leaks. Is the solder joint of the Pollard key to the horn leaking, and that's the water we're seeing? That's all I could imagine going wrong here, unless the Pollard key itself is defective, in which case it isn't the fault of the installer.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
I've had my repair guy install both Saturn and Pollard water keys successfully, when he had not seen them before.

I'm curious how one could install them wrong such that it is the Pollard key that leaks. Is the solder joint of the Pollard key to the horn leaking, and that's the water we're seeing? That's all I could imagine going wrong here, unless the Pollard key itself is defective, in which case it isn't the fault of the installer.

Did you view my video linked above?
Here it is again: https://youtube.com/shorts/MKH-z-OTJec?feature=share

Definitely a defective product, and this is not a fluke. The shop that did my install has more Pollard keys and checked them today and they leak as well.

The best key (between Pollard, Amado, and Saturn) that they tested was the Saturn key. The Saturn seal is even tighter than the Amado.

Jerry Pollard insists that the issue is due to a “poor/messy” installation.
Doesn’t matter to me anymore. I’m switching to a Saturn key so that I don’t have to worry about this anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: