• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CarolBrass Dealer In Twin Cities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwinCitiesTrumpets

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: CarolBrass Dealer In Twin Cities Reply with quote

I wanted to introduce myself as a CarolBrass dealer in the midwest, based out of St. Paul, MN. My name is Luke and I represent TwinCitiesTrumpets.com

There really aren't any other CarolBrass dealerships around the Twin Cities which was a motivating factor in me starting this endeavor. The main reason I decided to go into business selling trumpets is the shock I experienced when looking online for a new trumpet to replace my old high school horn after being left in its case for over a decade. There is a LOT of cheap crap out there on the internet! Most of what I see are either no-name horns made in China or India or counterfeit horns with a price that's too good to be true.

Then there's CarolBrass. I was skeptical when I first looked into the company. They're made in Taiwan, so I immediately thought the were just cheaply made Chinese horns. Not the case for CarolBrass. They have a high level of quality standards and each horn that goes out of their factory is hand-made and fully inspected.

The valves are all made from hand-lapped stainless steel which sets them apart from nearly every other brand. Even the student model horns have the exact same valves as their pro level models. And on that note, if any of your valves get dropped and dented, it's easy to replace them because each model Bb trumpet uses the same 3 valves. Tell me the number of the valve and I'll be able to get you a replacement quickly.

My website has a ton of info, and if you have any questions I would love to chat about what you're looking for in a new trumpet, cornet, flugelhorn, trombone, or even bugle!

www.TwinCitiesTrumpets.com

Happy trumpeting!

- Luke
Authorized Dealer of CarolBrass Instruments

CarolBrass CTR-6280L-GSS Bb trumpet
Kanstul French Besson Classic Bb trumpet
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

Last edited by Riojazz on Sat May 06, 2023 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. And congratulations on the new venture.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Orban

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Good luck with your business.

Can you provide some clarification on this...
1- Model Giuffredi
2- 5000 YST
3- 7770 YST

Which one is easiest to play?
What are the differences in sound?

Thank you.
TwinCitiesTrumpets

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Characteristics of CarolBrass models Reply with quote

Orban wrote:
Hello,

1- Model Giuffredi
2- 5000 YST
3- 7770 YST

Thank you.

Hi Orban,

Thanks for the question. Here is some info on each of those models:

First, what they all have in common:

- All made primarily from yellow brass
- Each come with a rounded and a squared tuning slide option

Now the differences:

- The Andrea Giuffredi model, having been designed in partnership with Mr. Giuffredi, has some unique characteristics. Thought it is made primarily from large gauge yellow brass, the leadpipe is made from sterling silver and a unique "fast taper ML bore". This will result in a very responsive, bright tone. The AG also has nickel-copper alloy valve casings. Both of these configurations will not be used on any other CarolBrass trumpet.

One of the main differences between the 5000 and 7770 is the bracing and stylings. The 5000 will have a tuning slide brace (two for the "H" leadpipe design) where the 7770 has no tuning slide brace. Many feel that tuning slide braces tend to cause a slight damper on response, or in other terms - braces will "darken" the tone. Having no brace on the tuning slide, which is the case on both the 7770 and the AG, produces a bit more resonance and feedback to the player.

Depending on what you're looking to either enhance about your style of playing or perhaps make up for, these three models provide a little something different.

Reach out to me if you want to talk more or have any other questions! I'm happy to connect with fellow trumpet players.

- Luke

Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orban wrote:
Hello,

1- Model Giuffredi
2- 5000 YST
3- 7770 YST

Thank you.

Luke has it down......here are my thoughts:

The AG model has the large bell (like a 72 shape).....all other things being equal (and they aren't, as Luke says) the AG would have a slightly wider sound shape versus anything with a YST bell (37 shape).

The AG is unique in the fact that it retains good focus and core with the broader sound of the large taper bell. It is extremely mouthpiece sensitive (meaning different mouthpieces can greatly affect the sound). Very nimble because of the lightweight construction, yet has a colorful sound (Nickel-Copper valve casing and sterling lead pipe)

The 5000 YST is more focused in sound shape with lots of core. Also super nimble due to the lightweight bell & body. A little less color in the sound due to the all yellow brass construction (bell, lead pipe, valve block, etc.)

Tuning slide braces make a very noticeable effect on the response and slotting. Braces add firmness to the slots and "stabilize" everything a little bit. Unbraced slides add to the quick response and nimble feeling at the expense of slightly looser slotting. Square versus rounded slides change things too, without affecting the response as much. Square gives you a little more pop and clarity on articulations and tightens the blow a little versus the rounded.

I own the AG. I haven't played the 7770 YST.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bb, C, Cornet, and Flugelhorn- all by CarolBrass.

I am wondering about this model: CTR-5000L-YLT-Bb/G-L

It appears to have longer G slides as opposed to the shorter G trumpet setup used for high trumpet playing (e.g. Schilke or Yamaha).

What is this lower pitched G trumpet used for? Are there any YouTube videos demonstrating this unique instrument?
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthes93401 wrote:

It appears to have longer G slides as opposed to the shorter G trumpet setup used for high trumpet playing (e.g. Schilke or Yamaha).

What is this lower pitched G trumpet used for? Are there any YouTube videos demonstrating this unique instrument?

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=160904&highlight=
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Drum & Bugle Corps Reply with quote

matthes93401 wrote:

I'm not the OP, please forgive my interruption.

I think there is still an overseas market for instruments pitched in G, driven by the interest in American drum & bugle corps according to the genre's traditional rules. It was becoming more and more difficult for those overseas groups to buy new instruments or older instruments in good condition. Two of the makers of d&b brass instruments either went out of business (Kanstul, Dynasty) or else stopped making instruments pitched in G by regular order (System Blue).

A trumpet pitched in low-G with a big bell designed for outdoor projection would be a decent substitute for the "traditional" soprano bugle pitched in low-G. An instrument that can be switched between the more common Bb tuning and low-G is useful for players who are in trad D&B groups who also want an instrument they can use in new rules groups (using instruments in Bb and F) or even in regular bands or wind ensembles.

I might be completely wrong about the above guess. At the same time as the demise of d&b corps using instruments pitched in G, there has been a resurgence of the use of lower pitched trumpets in band & orchestra. I'm unsure if the resurgence of the latter has been as widespread as the demise of the former, but I've seen my share of comments on boards like this one by people who are looking for trumpets with workarounds that enable access to the lower register.
dan_e10

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luke,
Do Carol Brass offer a D or Eb model? I had seen recommendations here on Trumpet Herald to consider the Carol Brass Eb but I wasn’t able to find any info on it at their site.
Thanks,
Dan
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Drum & Bugle Corps Reply with quote

Appreciate the background on d&b internationally. That makes sense for CarolBrass to provide offer this instrument. I'm intrigued about low-G instruments potentially becoming more popular in orchestra or brass choirs. I'm sure there are some lower parts, Carmen prelude comes to mind, that might lay better on the lower instrument.

Didymus wrote:
matthes93401 wrote:

I'm not the OP, please forgive my interruption.

I think there is still an overseas market for instruments pitched in G, driven by the interest in American drum & bugle corps according to the genre's traditional rules. It was becoming more and more difficult for those overseas groups to buy new instruments or older instruments in good condition. Two of the makers of d&b brass instruments either went out of business (Kanstul, Dynasty) or else stopped making instruments pitched in G by regular order (System Blue).

A trumpet pitched in low-G with a big bell designed for outdoor projection would be a decent substitute for the "traditional" soprano bugle pitched in low-G. An instrument that can be switched between the more common Bb tuning and low-G is useful for players who are in trad D&B groups who also want an instrument they can use in new rules groups (using instruments in Bb and F) or even in regular bands or wind ensembles.

I might be completely wrong about the above guess. At the same time as the demise of d&b corps using instruments pitched in G, there has been a resurgence of the use of lower pitched trumpets in band & orchestra. I'm unsure if the resurgence of the latter has been as widespread as the demise of the former, but I've seen my share of comments on boards like this one by people who are looking for trumpets with workarounds that enable access to the lower register.
TwinCitiesTrumpets

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_e10 wrote:
Hi Luke,
Do Carol Brass offer a D or Eb model? I had seen recommendations here on Trumpet Herald to consider the Carol Brass Eb but I wasn’t able to find any info on it at their site.
Thanks,
Dan

I've sent you a private message about the CTR-9265-YSS-Eb/D model.

TwinCitiesTrumpets

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: G trumpet Reply with quote

matthes93401 wrote:

Others have already added all I would have. CarolBrass' perspective is that the G tuning makes it a little easier to play. Outside of the United States, there may be more of a market for G tuning.

TwinCitiesTrumpets

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Demo Horns Soon Available Reply with quote

I want to note: I'm not trying to sell horns here on this forum.

I also want to add to those of you who may be following this thread, I will soon have a variety of CarolBrass horns in stock to demo. One of the biggest hurdles to starting this business was how to get inventory and another was where to go to have people try out the horns. I'm running this business from my home yet so there is no physical store location.

I've partnered with Jazz Central Studios in Minneapolis, MN and they have graciously agreed to let me book their space for potential buyers to come demo CarolBrass horns. Here's a list of what I'll have available if you're interested in trying them out:

1000 series (student model)
5000 series
6000 series
7000 series
9990 Red Brass Balanced model

6200 Red Brass Flugelhorn

3000 series Cornet

Mini pocket trumpet (in Bb)

Reach out here or head to my website to ask about trying out a horn!

Thanks everyone!

- Luke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: