• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brand New Bach Strad 37 Valve Wear????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dp9029

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Brand New Bach Strad 37 Valve Wear???? Reply with quote

I have a brand new Bach Stradivarius 37 that I got a week ago. I've been playing it normally about two hours a day since and I notice my first valve is wearing a lot!
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/16xSiOZF5gih37UKZNKkRa087gJ1HGuN7/view?usp=sharing[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/16uFahetC0lEbYP8173jBNsLWIaj32Dm5/view?usp=sharing[/img]

I'm using Al Cass Valve Oil which I used for the last 30 years with no issue. It has been many years since I bought a new Bach. Is this normal?????
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give the horn a really thorough cleaning. The only way you'd be seeing actual valve wear on a new horn in such short time is if there was debris causing the wear or some sort of irregularity. Have your local tech take a look.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not able to view the pictures - I think they are 'private' and need some sort of authorization to be seen.

After you've cleaned the pistons with a cloth, are there areas that show rubbing, or 'haze'? Also, are there trouble area on the inside of the valve casings?

There have been reports of new horns needing frequent cleaning because of polishing compound causing 'dirty valves' as it gets dislodged from the tubing, but I don't recall reports of actual early wear to the valves. Just the need to clean and oil the valves frequently for a while (weeks / months?) until the condition goes away.

If you do suspect that any type of mechanical damage is happening, then contact the dealer or a repair tech.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember, when I got my '16 Bach NY7 as a new horn, there was an instruction sheet regarding the need for frequent cleaning of the valves and valve casings for a period of time. Valves and casings still look great after 6 1/2 years of daily use!

Likewise, when I got a valve refresh on my '71 Benge, Tim at Osmun gave me verbal instructions to treat the valves as new with frequent wipe downs (my translation, Daily) for a while. Valves and casings still in great shape after 6 years of frequent use.

I use a clean piece of cheesecloth as my usual valve and valve case wipe and as I recall, a good bit of dark staining on the cloth after use gradually resolving over a period of weeks.

Hope this info is of use.

Life is Short!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
dp9029

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

There have been reports of new horns needing frequent cleaning because of polishing compound causing 'dirty valves' as it gets dislodged from the tubing, but I don't recall reports of actual early wear to the valves. Just the need to clean and oil the valves frequently for a while (weeks / months?) until the condition goes away.

This actually makes sense. The areas that look worn may actually just be dirty with the polishing compound. the areas are grey in color. I never felt any friction at all so I was surprised to see it.

About the pictures, I don't know how else to get images on here...:/

Thanks for the quick response folks!
dp9029

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:

I use a clean piece of cheesecloth as my usual valve and valve case wipe and as I recall, a good bit of dark staining on the cloth after use gradually resolving over a period of weeks.

I wiped the valve and managed to get most of the grey off, which was encouraging. It definitely was the polishing agent. It managed to polish a few small spots to a bright finish, in fact. No real wear though. I will clean daily, thanks!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp9029 wrote:
cbtj51 wrote:

I wiped the valve and managed to get most of the grey off, which was encouraging. It definitely was the polishing agent. It managed to polish a few small spots to a bright finish, in fact. No real wear though. I will clean daily, thanks!

Yes, with new valves wipe off daily at first, and likely more than once a day for 2-4 weeks, then you can relax that task to every couple of days.. for a month or two. Then regularly.

When you write "polish" I hope you mean just a little bit of vigorous wiping with a soft clean cloth.. I would never use a polish or polishing cloth on the valves - that's more wear and tear on the surface that is unecessary.

Al Cass is a fast oil.. I find it evaporates pretty quickly, especially outside. Oil regularly and frequently.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New horns should:
- first be cleaned thoroughly with warm water and a little dawn dish soap or similar grease-cutting agent, using a snake brush in every tube. This is to remove any manufacturing residue - or more often the side-effects of "dealer prep".
- have the pistons and casings wiped down after every use, and re-oiled. This is to remove the grey/black residue of brass wearing from the casing wall as the valves break in.
- be thoroughly cleaned again after the first ten days or so (seating the valves produces a lot of grime at first, some will accumulate in the ports and slide tubes)
- be watched after that to determine when the daily swabbing no longer catches significant grime, and cleaned periodically. Once no more grime turns up on daily wipe-downs, frequency can be tapered off to normal.

Failure to follow these steps underlies the vast majority of new valve issues.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first new Bach had a lot of pale grey come off with the daily piston wipe downs. It lasted for surprisingly long. I've never been able to confirm this but someone I spoke to suggested that Bach had applied a compound to the inside of the horn to prevent corrosion of the brass tubing in the event that the horn sits on a shelf for years before being sold. My second new Bach many years later didn't have this at all.

As has been said, I wouldn't think you'd ever want or need to polish the pistons or cylinders.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: