• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Do the lips really need to touch to vibrate?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Do the lips really need to touch to vibrate? Reply with quote

I’ve read that the lips must touch to vibrate. But I get better flexibility with an open embouchure and it doesn’t feel like my lips are touching at any point. At first I thought I must be wrong. But maybe not? I mean, if the lips are flapping above and below a small aperture, won’t that still produce alternate compression and rarefaction of air, i.e., sound waves, even if they don't make contact?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Do the lips really need to touch to vibrate? Reply with quote

ErikA wrote:
... if the lips are flapping above and below a small aperture, won’t that still produce alternate compression and rarefaction of air, i.e., sound waves, even if they don't make contact?

------------------
Yes - the resonance (and 'back pressure') that the standing wave produces, and the flexibility of the lips allows the lips to 'flap' enough to produce the necessary air pressure pulsations.

If you can get a good clear sound, then it is not necessary to be concerned with the precise contact of the lips. And attempts to consciously establish 'lip-to-lip' contact
edit: while actually playing,
can be detrimental.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the image of an oboe reed... they are close but not touching to vibrate as air moves between them.. If your lips, like the reed, are touching -air can't pass and the reeds can't vibrate. They either have to move away from each other to vibrate (with ease) or the air flow has to be such to force them apart or out of the way - this will lead to a tendancy for an explosive start.

I don't believe you should intentionally set the lips touching before moving air.. My image is more of the lips coming into position around a thread/string of air.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbU_9OsNcVI
R. Tomasek
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word...no!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another concern regarding teaching how the lips should be positioned is that when the mouthpiece rim is placed on the lips, that the rim pressure will change the lip position. So the player might have a different feeling of the position of their lips - and might wonder 'what is the right position?'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyDavids wrote:
In a word...no!

Doesn't that "No" directly contradict the video?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
AndyDavids wrote:
In a word...no!

In the video it would appear that the lips only touch for articulation and that they don't appear to touch for sustained notes. I'm not volunteering a position but that's how it looks.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, I wonder why they touch when something is tongued but not, otherwise.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
AndyDavids wrote:
In a word...no!

In the video it would appear that the lips only touch for articulation and that they don't appear to touch for sustained notes. I'm not volunteering a position but that's how it looks.

High-speed video would give a better picture of what is going on.

Just playing a tuning A at 440hz means the lips are opening and closing 440 times per second, much faster than we can actually see.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This situation is a good example of over analyzing something. It is interesting to know the details of what is happening, but gaining that knowledge is unlikely to help anyone play or teach better.

I'd be interested to learn if anyone actually gives any attention while playing to aspects of 'lips touching'. I can see its usefulness in describing initial lip position BEFORE contact with the mouthpiece.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
This situation is a good example of over analyzing something. It is interesting to know the details of what is happening, but gaining that knowledge is unlikely to help anyone play or teach better.

I'm not convinced that's true. Given that there is meaningful debate about the merits of open vs. closed apertures (let's ignore the fact that an aperture is open, by definition), if it were possible to demonstrate that everyone's lips actually close before they produce a tone (at least if they play well), or the opposite, it could settle a few arguments, and take some of the "armchair physicist" arguments out of the larger discussion. Personally, I think that would be a good thing, and that it could help dispel some of the confusion and contradictory advice that makes teaching/learning frustrating.

JayKosta wrote:
I'd be interested to learn if anyone actually gives any attention while playing to aspects of 'lips touching'. I can see its usefulness in describing initial lip position BEFORE contact with the mouthpiece.

I'm not a Reinhardt expert, but if you read his book, it's very clear and specific in saying that it's necessary for the lips to be just touching before placing the mouthpiece, while placing the mouthpiece, while breathing, and then again immediately at the end of blowing, so that the lips are only open while a tone is being produced*. I think that indicates that the answer to your question is "yes".

*Pg. 147 - What is meant by a just touching embouchure

Last edited by Steve A on Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:49 am; edited 2 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good observation, Jay, and normally I would say, "Right On", but concentrating on the concept of "letting" the chops vibrate vs. "forcing" a buzz has resulted in my having a more relaxed embouchure with better results.

I think that in the past, I had thought more of "clamping down" when getting higher and, in retrospect, resulted in less flexible lips.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:44 am; edited 2 times in total
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure my lips touch when I place the mouthpiece but I’m not sure how I’d know if my lips are touching once the first note begins.

When I think about individual parts of the system like this I usually get sidetracked and spend a few weeks undoing some quirk that developed in my playing. But lots of players are more capable than me of close analysis of the individual parts.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The danger of constant analysis about every little thing that is going on in playing the trumpet is very evident in this post.
It is much better to not agonize over what is happening every second when one is playing. Leave that stuff alone.
The instant one starts thinking about "how am I doing this?" distracts from making music.
Don't make it more complicated than it is.
When doing breath attacks, your lips must not touch. All other playing requires the lips to lightly touch before the release of the air for the attack of the note. That is what my high school teacher taught me.
I was fortunate to have teachers and colleagues who stressed practice and listen for the best results. When you hear these good results you will know how to continue the good results by practicing.
I never send young players here simply because they do not need to be confused by the multitude of different input on one subject. Especially when the poster is most likely an non-expert in the actual subject.
It is also the reason why many pros just lurk here and keep out of conversations.
I do not mean to be harsh or condescending here. Just pointing out how fruitless and confusing a post like this can become.

R. Tomasek
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of this micro-analysis is before the fact rather than after it. There's a reason for the popularity of the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". In other words, losing sight of what we should really keeping our concentration on - the music.

Old Martial Arts analogy but I think appropriate here:
"Lead with the mind and the body will follow".

* Of course, some analysis and introspection is valid, but I think the context here is what's relevant.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set-up the aperture with lightly touching lips when the mp rim makes contact.

This gave me much more efficiency of effort, tone quality, range and endurance. I love it!

The lips do indeed nearly close on the closed part of the cycle. That includes players who think they play "open".

When buzzing, especially free buzzing, (or playing as if you are) the lips not only completely close in the cycle but "slam" closed.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbU_9OsNcVI
R. Tomasek

These type videos can be misleading because you see more of the "average" opening. The video frequency is too slow to see the full lip excursion in detail.

A slow-motion video, by strobe aliasing, Gives a more accurate representation.

See here:
https://youtu.be/rkud0WhnMGQ

https://youtu.be/A8JFz04EmvY

Now do you think the lips do not close?
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Just playing a tuning A at 440hz means the lips are opening and closing 440 times per second, much faster than we can actually see.

^^this^^

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/brassacoustics.html

I have found that starting with the lips barely touching provides me the best results. i.e think "M", place the mouthpiece, breath through the corners and immediately release the air.

I used to part the lips with the tongue after placing the mouthpiece which led to a lot of poor starts to notes. I believe this is due to lips having to close prior to starting the note. I could be wrong.

I agree with Rich about the over-analysis. My experience has been the more I think about insert tab A into slot B etc. during my playing it gets worse. When I listen for the sound I want and remember that feeling, I can get my body to repeat things more readily. Still a work in progress though.

My experience. Yours may vary.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345

Last edited by gwood66 on Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think that the lips aren` t touching each other while playing, try to make one lip vibrate without touching the other lip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: