• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 80A "Trumpet"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Conn 80A "Trumpet"? Reply with quote

Just checking to see if anyone has played a Conn 80A converted to a trumpet receiver.

OK - I admit I've actually read significant portions of the Alllied Supply catalog - perhaps too much time on my hands.

I noticed that the suggested replacement leadpipe for the 80A cornet was their generic trumpet leadpipe - not their cornet leadpipe. So, since I happen to have spare leadpipes and receivers around and I'm planning to replace the current leadpipe anyway ...

The best that I can tell, to play in tune with a trumpet mouthpiece the leadpipe would either need to be shortened about .70 of an inch or inserted into the top female tuning slide tube another .70 of an inch - perhaps requiring the top tuning slide tube to be shortened.

Thoughts?
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andy
I like mine with trumoet reveiver. I have one with cornetvreceiver also
and like the trumoet pipe better. I tried some various pipes but the best one was a 22b pipe. The octaves are nicely in tune and response feels good and very centered sound. I made it so the rim of the mouthpiece lined up with the bell the same way it does with the cornet pipe. No change at the slide end.
I have the first slide pulled out 1/8 and cut the 3rd slide 3/16 shorter than normal and then added a trigger on the 3rd made out of an ambassador water key. Brushed lacquer
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andy
I like mine with trumoet reveiver. I have one with cornetvreceiver also
and like the trumoet pipe better. I tried some various pipes but the best one was a 22b pipe. The octaves are nicely in tune and response feels good and very centered sound. I made it so the rim of the mouthpiece lined up with the bell the same way it does with the cornet pipe. No change at the slide end.
I have the first slide pulled out 1/8 and cut the 3rd slide 3/16 shorter than normal and then added a trigger on the 3rd made out of an ambassador water key. Brushed lacquer
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of Bb trumpet pipes and a reverse C pipe from a Conn Heritage that I can experiment with - also some extra top slide female tubing so I don't have to unsolder anything to try it.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it turns out for you. I love those old 80a's but it hard to find mouthpieces for them.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80A is produced from 1914 to 1971 and IMO is one of the most succesful Conn horns.
This horn was played by Bix, Papa Celestin, Peter Bocage, Wingy Manone, Jimmy McPartland, Lu Watters, Max Kaminsky, Muggsy Spanier, Wild Bill Davison, Rex Stewart and more.
I own a 1942 USNavy 80A and it's a wonderful horn. Depending on the mouthpiece it can turn from a screamer to a dark flügel.
All reasons (never change a winning team) why I doubt that it will be possible to improve the horn by some jungle leadpipe.
Mark Curry can make any mouthpiece for you with the proper shank (CSS). Even better is have him make a screw backbore with the proper dimensions.
I have a Jim New (then Kanstul) made backbore (originally copied by him from a Conn 4 for Christine) which can be used with Warburton tops.
I play my 80A with that bb and a Warburton Arturo (MV 3C) cup and I have nothing to complain about and nothing that needs to be improved. Marvelous deep sound. YMMV.

I also own a Curry BBC mp (very good mp!) with the Curry 'C' shank and a by Schenkelaars' to Conn short shank modified Yamaha CB Regular trumpet mp. But I prefer the Warburton set-up.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:

All reasons (never change a winning team) why I doubt that it will be possible to improve the horn by some jungle leadpipe.

I'm restoring a previous restoration where the original leadpipe was replaced with a cornet leadpipe. They flared the end of the leadpipe to make it fit the larger diameter female tube. It plays OK but not quite the way an 80A should. Replacements are no longer made so it's either cannibalize an old Conn Director or use a trumpet leadpipe.
The question then; is the extra .70 inch control over the airstream provided by a trumpet mouthpiece of any benefit.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think you get any more length. The whole thing has to stay the same length as the original setup.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
I don’t think you get any more length. The whole thing has to stay the same length as the original setup.

It's .70 inch controllable by a trumpet backbore rather than fixed by the upper part of the leadpipe when a cornet mouthpiece and receiver are used but, yes, the distance from the throat to the beginning of the tuning slide would be the same.

One could run a longer leadpipe into the female tuning slide tube then cut off part of the male top slide tube. That's a little like what they did on the old PanAms or Directors where they had about an inch of transitional tubing inside the female top slide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: