• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn Vintage One, Kanstul, etc.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krafty934
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guy,
Following the great advice given on my other posts, I found a teacher and he recommended that I try out a Conn Vintage One and maybe a Kanstul. How are these horns in ease of playing, intonation, etc? Are there any other horns that you guys suggest? I am currently playing on a Bach TR300. Thanks a lot!

Kaushik
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I auditioned a Conn V1C next to a Kanstul 1510a this week. I found the Kanstul was better constructed, more consistant as far as intonation and easier to play than the Conn. The Conn offered a few options that the Kanstul did not, varied choice of lead pipes and bell configurations, valve caps, and tuning slides. I found the Kanstul better thought out and constructed. I believe materials and workmanship on the Kanstul was better than all of the options offered on the Conn. Ultimately I decided that now was not the time to buy. Had I made the committment to buy, it would've been the Kanstul probably the 1510 over the 1510a ... I have a thing for the tone/timbre of the copper bell Kanstul. Best of luck in your search. Play as many instruments as you can.
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Personally I'm a Kanstul fan but have tried the Conn and was very impressed. It comes in a great variety of bell/lead pipe combinations so be sure to try a few.

Kanstul's probably have even more variety from the copper belled models to the Wayne Bergeron Signature and everything in between. In my experience they are all very well made. You really just need to try them out to see which one fits you and your needs.

Regards

Trevor

[ This Message was edited by: camelbrass on 2004-01-15 10:46 ]
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you like something on one Kanstul that's not on another one you tested played/saw, Kanstul will gladly put on nearly any option you want. Don't let a dealer tell you otherwise. Kanstul will change out bell materials, leadpipes, water keys, finishes, etc...

Kanstul 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
Connstellation 38B
Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.
www.measureofgrace.com
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in my other post, Kanstuls are great instruments, but they were lacking some "special" sound quality...they seemed to generic to me. The Vintage One had a special "sparkle" in its sound. Ultimately, both are great horns-just compare some with your teachers help and you almost can't go wrong on these horns.

P.s. I've never noticed inconsistencies/intonation problems on the V1, and I tried out 4 of them before I bought mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_FELIX C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Friend;
In have heard good comnets for the V1 and the King Legend. Uited musical do an good job in the design od this two instruments. It sad that they almost do not palce atention in the Benge Line Trumpets. Personally I am a Benge fan, in case that I need a new horn I wish to Buy Kanstul, theya are excellent crafted instruments and have a full line of alternate horns if you like Bach, And older models of Conn. I recomend you the Kanstul Chicago or 1500 Signature Series
Benge 3X+
Benge 3 Flugelhorn
Schilke 14F4
I use my Personal Blend of Valve Oil
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a Conn VI for a couple of years and have no regrets. It's a fabulous horn. In the past I've owned a few different Kanstuls and eventually bought a 1500 (copper bell) because I liked it better than the VI. However, I think that maybe over the long haul-- as an all purpose trumpet the VI probably has more of the edge. It's really a matter of playing both and seeing what you like best. You can't go wrong with either.

My current "favorite" trumpet however is something of a sleeper; the Kanstul "Chicago" (I settled on the 464 bore 1001 model). These are excellent trumpets-- copies of old Benges which were in turn copies of old pre-WWII Bessons (Bach also copied this model with the Strad) and I must say I prefer they way they play over the different other Kanstuls I've owned (CCT900, 1500, 1503), and the VI. For whatever reason they are a bit less expensive than the Signature Kanstuls but every bit as well made. The Kanstul Chicago trumpets are killers!

My recommendation would be to try all you can get a hold of and let the best man (or trumpet) win. If these horns aren't available in your area order them on trial from Brasswind or other similar store that will let you try them out risk free. It might take a few orders-- but when you're going to be spending $1200-1600 it is worth paying a little postage to try as many different horns as possible.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Kanstul is still the "little company that does" . . . and they are still owned by a trumpet maker vs. a big conglomerate, UMI.

When UMI bought the great Benge company and moved them to Ohio there was a vacant factory, those Benge craftsmen . . . and a Benge plant manager (Zig Kanstul) left in California.

Zig is making many specific trumpets today, allowing the artist and student a big variety in horn types, blows and finishes. My favorite Kanstul horns are:

ZKT 1504
ZKT 1503
ZKT 1600 (a tweaked out 1503/1504 type model designed for Wayne Bergeron)
Kanstul "Chicago" (a perfect original Benge clone)
Kanstul "Mariachi" (a clone of the famous Conn Connstellation small bore of the 50's)

Each one has it's own charecter. All are fine horns.

The Conn Vintage One is a "new" Conn model that's getting good press. That's great, because for years UMI had been killing their reputation. The Conn label finally has a horn they can be proud of.

Play 'em and see what YOU like!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you should rule out any readily-available horns until you can put your mitts on them. As a first-time buyer, you would be an idiot not to try out some Bachs and Yamahas. (Before anybody accuses me of name-calling, I bought my first professional trumpet without trying any Bachs or professional Yamahas. I was an idiot.) You are not far from Chicago, and within easy striking distance of lots of big stores, including Woodwind & Brasswind in South Bend, IN. Go and try.
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a post by gregplo in a while, but Greg moved from a WT to a gold plated Stomvi Mambo to a gold plated Conn V1 w/ rose brass bell. You can probably do a search for his past posts to see his comments. You could also email Greg, he is a very nice and helpful person.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it won't hurt to try out the other horns. I don't think you will be an idiot if you don't but you will miss out on a grand opportunity to experiment and find what you like. The WW&BW in South Bend would be WELL WORTH the trip. They have an amazing number of horns to try - including some Kanstuls, Conn V1, Yamahas and Bachs.

Now, both the Conn V1 and Kanstul products are great horns. However, I have not yet found a V1 that just knocks me off my feet. A silver one came pretty close. I think if I played it again it might. Kanstul has some great horns and I have owned a Chicago ML and
I like the 1504 & the 1500 copper bell horn. I love its sound.

Go & try the horns. Have fun & take someone to listen to you. Looking for a new horn is one of the most fun experiences. (Now, I need to repeat my wifes mantra for me - I will not buy anymore horns, I will not..........)

Good Luck!

Mike
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Krafty:

hmmm. What kind/brand of horn does your teacher play?
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all going to come down to a matter of opinion...and one of the things you may conclude is that a good/better/best type of judgment may be less of an issue than simply DIFFERENT....
Krafty934
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the responses guys. Yeah, I've already tried out a couple of Bach Strads, a King Silver Flair, a Yamaha Xeno, Courtois Evo I and II, a couple of Bessons, and a Selmer. I didn' want to look like an idiot, so I tried a lot of different trumpets. Jgadvert, I believe my trumpet teacher plays a Yamaha (though I'm not completely sure). The Conn 1B Vintage One horn really appeals to me, especially with the sterling bell silver plated w/gold trim. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of these two trumpet brands (Conn V1 and Kanstul), so I posted it here. Thanks for all the info so far!

[ This Message was edited by: Krafty934 on 2004-01-15 16:22 ]
MaynardProdigy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tell you about my experience about the V1...

I was at ABE music in Olando, Fl about 2 months ago. I went out of my way just to try out some different trumpets. I played a NY Apple Bach Strad (kinda weird and never heard of it), Xeno yami, an Eterna, and a V1. nothing even compared to the Bach or the Xeno in my opinion. Wow, I was blown away by the quality and playability of these horns. The V1 seemed stuffy and I put it down after a couple of minutes. I am a come back player with a new outlook on what a pro horn should feel and play like to me reguardless of cost. I just couldn't groove with the V1. I'm really looking forward to playing a Kansult in the near future. I say just play them and make your choice off of what make you feel better and sound great. Good Luck!!!!

Silver/Gold Bach Stad 43
81' MF ST-302
51' Olds Super (LA)
631 Yamaha Flugel
***Working on***
Yamaha Xeno
Martin Committee
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Kansult".......where are they made?!?

BW
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
MaynardProdigy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you post that you own a Kansult "Mariachi" and a FLUGELHORN - Kansult 1525 Cooper bell and not know where they are made?

Just an observation

Custom Bach Stad 43
81' MF ST-302
34' King Master Model Cornet
631 Yamaha Flugel
***Working on***
Yamaha Xeno
Martin Committee
Olds Super (LA)

[ This Message was edited by: MaynardProdigy on 2004-01-16 19:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MaynardProdigy on 2004-01-17 13:53 ]
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because I own 2 KANSTULS....NOT KANSULTS!!!! I bet you play KANSULT MOTHPIECES TOO!!! I think that 6 year layofff hurt you more than you know!!!

BW
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KANSULT?

Isn´t that what you do with a lawyer?
Sorry, me is no native speaker...

Martin
Krafty934
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I'm going to a couple of music stores today to try out a couple of Conn V1s, Getzens, and Holtons! What do you guys think of these? Also, does anybody have experience with Calicchio trumpets? My teacher recommended that one too! Thanks a lot for the replies so far!

Kaushik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: