• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 51B Trumpet in C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alty62244

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Conn 51B Trumpet in C Reply with quote

My 38A, 36B and 38B Constellations continue to fill me with joy and smiles as they have since 1960 and on to today. I have be actively seeking a Conn 2A Eb cornet for decades and just learned of the existence of the Connstellation C trumpet, 51B. Have any members had experience with this C trumpet and if so, will they please help my decision making, by telling of their experiences.?

Many thanks,
Alan Altman
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Conn 51B for a while. Large bore and reverse leadpipe. It was a solid C trumpet but nothing special. It was based on the UMI Conn/King/Benge chassis.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Conn 51B Trumpet in C Reply with quote

alty62244 wrote:
My 38A, 36B and 38B Constellations continue to fill me with joy and smiles as they have since 1960 and on to today. I have be actively seeking a Conn 2A Eb cornet for decades and just learned of the existence of the Connstellation C trumpet, 51B. Have any members had experience with this C trumpet and if so, will they please help my decision making, by telling of their experiences.?

Many thanks,
Alan Altman

Alan,

It is a solid instrument with the typical characteristics that all C trumpets have that we all work to minimize: flat upper E, Eb and D, sharp G, F# and F. High C can be low. The Vintage One C trumpet and the Benge 90 series C trumpet are very fine trumpets, perhaps a level above this horn. However,l if this were an only option for C trumpet that I used for things like church orchestra, an occasional solo, or playing out of a hymnal or with the church choir, I think it would be a fine purchase, dependent upon price.

Hope this helps,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a 52B off and on and really like it (the Bb version) and in fact missed a 51B just recently. Given the characteristics of the 52 I assume the 51 has a fairly brilliant open sound. Could be great for trumpet organ combo.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: