• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CAROL BRASS CTR-6280H-GSS-Bb-L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: CAROL BRASS CTR-6280H-GSS-Bb-L Reply with quote

Thoughts from someone who has played one?
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mauriat 600 that is very similar: twin leadpipe (yellow inner, nickel outer), large-ish rings, gold brass bell. It has a slightly heavier/sturdier feel. I think it would make a fine instrument and the 6280 looks fairly normal. I bought one CB scratch lacquered trumpet used and did not love it--I would probably stick with silver or regular lacquer. I sometimes see the 6280 selling very reasonably used and would definitely consider it if I didn't having something similar.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lacquer CTR-628 (prior to the model name updates) several years ago. It was a very nice horn...full sound that tended toward the bright end of the spectrum. It played a little tight for me...but I prefer free blowing horns. As I remember it, it is not a lightweight horn...heavier than a Bach 37.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregplo wrote:
I had a lacquer CTR-628 (prior to the model name updates) several years ago. It was a very nice horn...full sound that tended toward the bright end of the spectrum. It played a little tight for me...but I prefer free blowing horns. As I remember it, it is not a lightweight horn...heavier than a Bach 37.

How would you describe the blow and sound of the new CB Andrea model?
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejweiss wrote:
gregplo wrote:

For me personally, the CarolBrass Andrea Giuffredi (AG) is a terrific horn. It is relatively lightweight, has a large bell and a 72 bell flair. The blow of the AG horn is relatively open...I do not find it tight at all. The fast taper leadpipe and reverse tuning slide help with that. The Rounded slide is more open than the D slide, and is my preference. It also has Heavy and standard weight valve caps and buttons to help you "tune" the sound more to your liking. I have the lacquer model...the cupro-nickel valve casings are beautiful.

I've seen where some folks say the AG sounds "tinny" or "thin," but those appear to have been from a "behind the bell" players perspective. I also find that the sound from behind the horn is of a bright nature, but that makes the feedback the best of any horn I've ever played...I can actually hear myself even in a Big Band setting. Out front, the sound does lean toward the brighter part of the spectrum, but it still has a good core to the sound, and fits my concept of the trumpet sound. If you're looking for a "dark" sounding horn, this is not the one for you. I got to play Londonderry Air at a funeral last weekend for the family of an old friend who had passed away. It was her favorite tune on the trumpet. I stood about 30-40 yards away from the graveside, and my wife said it sounded great from where they were sitting...so projection doesn't seem to be an issue.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregplo wrote:
ejweiss wrote:
gregplo wrote:

For me personally, the CarolBrass Andrea Giuffredi (AG) is a terrific horn. It is relatively lightweight, has a large bell and a 72 bell flair. The blow of the AG horn is relatively open...I do not find it tight at all. The fast taper leadpipe and reverse tuning slide help with that. The Rounded slide is more open than the D slide, and is my preference. It also has Heavy and standard weight valve caps and buttons to help you "tune" the sound more to your liking. I have the lacquer model...the cupro-nickel valve casings are beautiful.

I've seen where some folks say the AG sounds "tinny" or "thin," but those appear to have been from a "behind the bell" players perspective. I also find that the sound from behind the horn is of a bright nature, but that makes the feedback the best of any horn I've ever played...I can actually hear myself even in a Big Band setting. Out front, the sound does lean toward the brighter part of the spectrum, but it still has a good core to the sound, and fits my concept of the trumpet sound. If you're looking for a "dark" sounding horn, this is not the one for you. I got to play Londonderry Air at a funeral last weekend for the family of an old friend who had passed away. It was her favorite tune on the trumpet. I stood about 30-40 yards away from the graveside, and my wife said it sounded great from where they were sitting...so projection doesn't seem to be an issue.

Agree. I'm really enjoying mine, too. Mine has regular and "heavier looking" caps, but really they are just a modern looking cap with the same or possibly slightly heavier weight. There's a difference in playability, but not much.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159329
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
ENINCA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to the thread, but the Carol Brass 6280H is my every day horn. I love it. It is on the heavier side, but I like that. To me, it has a nice core to the tone. A little on the dark end, but can brighten up easily in the upper register when needed. I like how it fits my hands. The valves have always been fantastic, completely trouble free. I bought mine used from Trent Austin probably 10 years ago now. The lacquer flaked off and I had it completely stripped raw. I love the look of the nickel silver contrasting with yellow and gold brass. It's a really great horn and I think I paid about $800 for it used. Carol brass are really great value, in my opinion.
"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win. Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins." -Dizzy Gillespie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: