• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A second harmonic instrument

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Piano o guitar??
Piano
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Guitar
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Others
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject: A second harmonic instrument Reply with quote

I have always heard the recommendation to play a second harmonic instrument, usually the piano is recommended, possibly because it is more visual.

In my case I chose the guitar because it is the harmonic instrument I was most familiar with.

All my friends had a guitar, including me!!!

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been learning the organ. Now that's a "harmonic" instrument -- 4 limbs all playing at once!!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still play the piano now and then. But not very well. Never really committed myself. The family piano(Königl. u Herzogl. Hofpianofarbik Herrmann) still resides in our living room, in excellent condition. My late mother got it aged 10 (1920). My dad´s mother was a very good pianist (I still possess an ample library with Beethoven, Schubert, Mozart). Dad was particularly fond of playing the marsch "Hoch Heidecksburg". Mother played quite well but very seldom. They both thought that I should be able to play so aged 8 I was directed to a teacher, an elderly lady who tormented me with Carl Czernys´ endless drills. After 2 years I was promised that if I managed to make it to seconday school I was allowed to quit. I have regretted this ever since......

But I learned quite early that I was fond of experimenting with harmonics, moods deriving from them and so forth. Still am fascinated; hence I just love tunes such as Smoke Rings, Until the real thing comes around, For Lena and Lennie and so many more. In the Brass band playing Eric Ball and so forth.
Consequently I just loathe these vapid thumping robotlike songs of today - seemingly devised to induce more or less brain dead states of mind.

So I think it´s a very good idea playing "harmonic" instruments.
Kind of deepens one´s understanding of music, and the emotions that might/should come with it.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: