• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"The Olds" Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFabulousFatman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject: "The Olds" Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi Folks - I just picked up an FE Olds "The Olds" trumpet. It needs a little work but it is playable in its current condition. Are there any Olds fans out there who own this horn and can give me their impression of how it plays for them? I have several other Olds trumpets and they don't seem to need quite as much wind power as this one does. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

Thanks,

Fabulous
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one that's a larger bore, and not the easiest blow, but there are "The Olds" horns, the LM I believe, that are not a large. As I recall, these early '30s horns had a few iterations as Olds was getting their footing.

ed
TheFabulousFatman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: "The Olds" Trumpet Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. This horn dates to 1940 - there are no bore markings on it so I don't know what the typical bore diameter would be for this model for this year - better get to Olds-Central and do some research! I do love the Olds brand and their craftsmanship with regard to their earlier horns. This is not to say their later horns weren't good, they just aren't as cool as these older ones.
Plus I'm a sucker for trombone style water keys - lol.
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're at Olds Central, maybe enter your horn in the register. The more early Olds trumpets logged the better.
https://olds-central.com/olds-register/
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
TheFabulousFatman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:50 am    Post subject: "The Olds" Trumpet Reply with quote

Thanks. All my Olds horns are on the register. This one was already on it but I guess Clay just puts them on when he sees them come up for sale. I updated some of the info on it - we'll see if it's enough new info for him to amend the listing.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve wondered about that labeling/model as well.

Here’s a listing for an ‘Olds’ ‘trumpet’ the seller thinks is from 1965, but it looks like an older cornet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156059356096?itmmeta=01HPMJKDZRR6FMA0K8RE76E36R&hash=item2455dccbc0:g:VvgAAOSwvgBlypp~&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwFSMsaJXN41yRvPog9x5lLnRwGexSqQbVPrevB6fwwgn3f4ybioDOF%2BvRH3j4hGeqhK8LqW0Z2YlsPzHOObUPhtcSssjf6y9YQUPi0zu3FoevDG7GFJllj%2B%2Fe7N42hZUGFFfNv2ErM2PC8LHRrhTvSUlgXMdsY4GM8OMl1SKFICvEa65pQJWsNGOoqyfc6LAL48KHNdCfPVmxTjd9iNr9DDlXjHf22tFKuHYjt5Cswb1zJWaXoEDJPICCq1yBct7Yg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4DgzZK1Yw
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rhondo"]I’ve wondered about that labeling/model as well.

Here’s a listing for an ‘Olds’ ‘trumpet’ the seller thinks is from 1965, but it looks like an older cornet: [/quote="Rhondo"]

That cornet is an Elkhart Olds - pretty sure it was made by Blessing. That's not bad - just not the same. At first I thought it was an A65 that they produced in the 70's
TheFabulousFatman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: "The Olds" Trumpet Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Rhondo. I only have one cornet in my collection and it's an Olds Standard from 1936. That listing on Ebay is for a later model that was made in Indiana, as Mr. Cooper states, after they closed down production in Fullerton, CA. While I'm sure these Elkhart horns are good, they are generally thought to be of lesser quality than the horns produced in either Fullerton or L.A., where they first began making instruments. Today, the owners of the Olds brand are not so much interested in making a quality product as they are in making a buck....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: