• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

getting lip back #2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taswalb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: getting lip back #2 Reply with quote

I am thinking about keeping my mouthpiece in my pocket and pulling it out whenever I feel like it to do a minute or two of buzzing. This would be in between the 2 or 3 short (7 - 10 minute) practice sessions I do throughout the day.

Will this help build my lip back up? Or, would this be too much? I'm still in my first week back.

Thanks.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO. Do not buzz. That is calisthenic. Avoid all calisthenics until you have rebuilt and refined your tone on low, soft and short playing segments. PLAY THE COMPLETE INSTRUMENT.

Once you have restored fine tone and clear and efficient note starts, only then you will carefully, gradually and sparingly venture into strength building.

Believe me, this will serve you well in the long run. Otherwise, you will introduce and reinforce ineffective habits.

Contact me and I will give you some specifics on how to proceed.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions vary - and legitimately so.

If you believe in buzzing and it helps you - and doesn't add up to a lip stiffness - go for it.

I personally have done a 180 degree change on it, and the change
helped me to play more relaxed and supple.

I no longer see it as believing that it's a type of isometric "clamping down" of the lips to cause a buzz, but somewhat of a sympathetic vibration between the lips and air column in a tube. There are plenty of threads/comments on this, so you can search for them if you're interested.

BTW, if you don't know, don't use this forum Search function. It's lame and there seems no priority in changing that. Rather, Search something like "Source: Trumpet Herald: Fundamentals: Buzz".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend not doing mouthpiece buzzing at this time. Until you've firmly established the 'feel' of embouchure settings that produce good tone, you run the risk of training yourself to do improper actions.

The key to good playing is control and finesse - not merely strength.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: