• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Improvise with your (inner) voice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Improvise with your (inner) voice Reply with quote

I have a clear goal.

I want to play the melodies that occur to me in my head. I don't want to play patterns, licks, nor do I want to let my muscle memory decide for me.

What I am not clear about is the way to get to the goal, for the moment I am helping myself with the guitar, sometimes playing the notes I sing, other times I play a chord, sing a melody and go to the trumpet to find out what I have sung.

Any other ideas?

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you been playing trumpet?

I ask because that ‘kinetic’ second nature/muscle memory thing comes up after a LONG time of playing ALL the scales all over the horn, over, and over, and over again. As the great one says at the beginning of this video, All you have to do is practice scales, scales, and more scales:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUij8FCg0z8

As a composer and trumpeter who loves playing idiomatic music, but whose improvisatory leanings may be closer to what you’re asking about, I want to make sure that what I started out with doesn’t seem contradictory to your goal. ALTHOUGH I’m referring to the essential patterns of music - a chromatic scale from the very bottom through the very top of your range; Clarke-style scale fragments, and so on - these connect your ears, chops, and fingers so that you can produce what you’re hearing and feeling inside. The improvisation that I am most frequently engaged in is ‘free’ and not standard idiomatic jazz or pop, so part of my ‘scale’ practice extends to variations on concepts from the Laurie Frank FLEXUS book, 24-note quarter-tone ‘chromatic’ scales, multi phonic ‘scales’ (same played fundamental, same sung fundamental, or moving split-tones), and other things where I can bring a similar application utility as a young pianist would, moving from scales and Hanon exercises to a Mozart C-Major.

Hope this is helpful - happy practicing!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simple. Write and play/hear your own independent licks in all keys and varying them to match whatever chord you might be playing. Stretch your licks into longer phrases. That's all.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Improvising "freely" - with no constraints of song, meter, key, anything. Trying to play only what you hear in your head.

2. Improvising freely but adding a restraint - stay in a particular scale. Still striving to play what you hear. Go through all keys.

3. Improvising freely but adding another restraint - time, and still striving to play what you hear.

4. Applying that approach to tunes requires a solid grasping of the chord changes of the tune. That means playing the roots, the 1 3 5, patterns, over and over again until you have the changes down. Then eventually applying the freedom aspect. But you can't play and hear freely on tunes you don't know very well.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Improvise with your (inner) voice Reply with quote

Trumpjerele wrote:
I want to play the melodies that occur to me in my head. I don't want to play patterns, licks, nor do I want to let my muscle memory decide for me.

What I am not clear about is the way to get to the goal, for the moment I am helping myself with the guitar, sometimes playing the notes I sing, other times I play a chord, sing a melody and go to the trumpet to find out what I have sung.

Any other ideas?

You want to play the melodies your hear in your head. I think that should be the goal of any improviser. And I think what you are doing is good (singing melodies and then reproducing them on the trumpet).

I'm sure there are many things you could try. And I realize you "don't want to play patterns". But patterns can have a role in what you want to accomplish. I'll add some advice by Jerry Coker. This is from the introduction of his book, "Patterns for Jazz". He talks about converting something you "pre-hear" into something you execute on your horn, and how this is a combination of aural and technical skills. And he talks about how practicing patterns can be used to develop your ear and increase your technical expertise, in order to convert the musical ideas you "pre-hear" into solos.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses.

Danbassin, I'm sorry but I didn't understand that about the 24 note scales. I have the flexus book, but I don't quite know what you mean. By the way, I've been playing the trumpet for about 19 years, I consider myself a serious amateur.

Keahulani, thanks for the suggestion, I'm not sure my humble sung phrases deserve that much attention, but I get the point, it's something I'll try.

Jaw04, if I'm honest with you almost everything I "come up with" in my head is tonal and quite simple really. I guess the ability to sing complex phrases comes with time and listening to a lot of music. Otherwise I've been doing something similar, only instead of singing inwardly, I would sing and then repeat with the trumpet, for the moment on a modal basis.

TrumpetMD, in my practice I include scales and patterns, maybe not as many as I should, practice time is so limited.

All this concern comes from my jazz combo teacher. He basically told me that in my improvisations there were notes, arpeggios, rhythmic monotony, and few melodies.

He told me that I had to practice creating melodies, motifs, etc, and that a good way to do it was to sing and play what you sing.

Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All this concern comes from my jazz combo teacher. He basically told me that in my improvisations there were notes, arpeggios, rhythmic monotony, and few melodies.

Sounds like most modern jazz players.

Go back to trad jazz, play the melody and embellish.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds like most modern jazz players

If you listened to me you would not have the same opinion, but I get the point!!!!

TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpjerele wrote:

He told me that I had to practice creating melodies, motifs, etc, and that a good way to do it was to sing and play what you sing.

The OP's teacher offered some feedback made a good suggestion. This will hopefully help the OP. It might also help to record yourself, to critique your solos. And if you're not already doing it, it might also help to come up a program to practice jazz scales, jazz patterns, jazz style, and jazz standards.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
. it might also help to come up a program to practice jazz scales, jazz patterns, jazz style, and jazz standards.

Riffing off of that, if you're not sure what/how to practice Jazz specifically, you might get some direction from Jerry Coker's "How to Practice Jazz".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
victorhaskins
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Improvise with your (inner) voice Reply with quote

Trumpjerele wrote:
I have a clear goal.

Any other ideas?

I am also someone who approaches improvisation from a place of not wanting to simply render licks and patterns. Here is my suggestion:

It will take a while, but the most effective way to achieve your goal is to listen to, and understand, more music. And by understand, I mean you should learn the meanings and implications of different musical "words" and "phrases". And by THAT, I mean you should try to understand how other folks make melodies (no matter what the genre is), and study why those melodies are interesting. This means figuring out why the collection of notes they chose were compelling, what those notes played against the underlying chord feel like and imply, the placement (rhythmically) of the notes of the phrase, the manner and style in which the phrase was delivered...all of these things are a part of creating melodies. Everyone who is good at creating melodies they hear (melodies they imagine) are aware of these different dimensions of melody, whether consciously or unconsciously. Maybe even start with studying/learning heads of standards, so you can look and hear at what the melodies on the leadsheet sound like against the underlying chords. Try playing those melodies. Try 'playing around' with those melodies in order to gain control of what's there. There are a variety of ways to manipulate existing melodies--these techniques can become a part of the building blocks of building your own improvisational language. Figure out how these devices pop up in other peoples' playing, and then figure out how you want to use them (or avoid them, if that is your prerogative...you can't avoid or include that which you don't recognize).

Remember that music is a language, and at the end of the day, you are communicating with sound. The more different kinds of experiences you can have with hearing those relationships with communicating with sound, the more options you will have when creating by yourself. Don't just check out standards. Check out "free" improvisers--both solo and collective. See if you can understand how they are communicating. There is so much to learn, that the more you learn, the more everything else makes sense, because your mind and intuition will recognize patterns and certain other structures. This is what you want, so you can then take your own original path. Just study music from the standpoint of communication. Without going into a discussion of specific theory, I hope something I said here made sense for you. Good luck!

NEW ALBUM Ikigai available now! http://www.victorhaskins.com/music

Learn about Victor Haskins & SKEIN http://www.victorhaskins.com/skein
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deal with sound. Then deal with data.
#7 pipe
hvtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

there are probably two parts to a practical answer to your question:

1) Fill your head with good ideas: listen a lot to all sorts of music, transcribe solos by ear of music you like, do lots of singing and ear training

2) Make a good connection between your head and your instrument. One of the most fun exercises for this is to play a known melody with different starting notes. Start simple (Happy Birthday, When the saints) and depending on your abilities, go more difficult (All the things you are, Donna Lee).

HV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: