• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Next trumpet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 3:57 am    Post subject: Next trumpet? Reply with quote

Here's a question for all of you who have played many different horns, own many different horns, play many different styles of music so know how different horns fit into different types of musical environments, etc.

I play a '68 Getzen Severinsen. I love this horn as it has a nice bright sound, is fairly lightweight, and it blows easily. It's great especially for jazz.

However, as I'm currently only playing concert music, I'm considering getting another trumpet. Something that might have a larger, more rounded, full sound as opposed to the brighter sound of the Getzen. I would imagine that might mean it should be a larger bore horn that may be brass instead of silver finish like the Getzen.

I also don't want to spend a mint, as I'm not a professional, so maybe somewhere in the $1-1.5K range at most.

I've tried an Orion OTR-411S trumpet and it isn't bad, but I don't know much about it, so not sure if it is an entry-level horn or where it falls on the continuum of horns. It's a large bore, has a nice full sound, but it definitely requires a lot more air to get a good sound out of it (due to the larger bore maybe?) than my Getzen does.

Any suggestions as to what others I should consider/try? And why? It doesn't have to be a new horn, used is just fine (and could possibly be a better horn or a better deal), so recommendations of new or used will be helpful.

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1958 Conn Director 14A
1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1977 Reynolds Medalist CR-58
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be the first to say it, get a Bach 37. JUST KIDDING, it drives me crazy how so many people throw that out there as the default standard recommendation. Now that we got that out of the way, let's talk serious.

I have never played the Getzen Severinsen, but from your description it sounds like my cup of tea, light, bright, nimble, responsive, lively, etc. Kind of like the older King Silver Flair, some older Yamahas, and Schilke horns. My main horn lately has been Schilke B6b.

I am a huge Schilke fan and have owned various models. I think the S22 or S32 would be very much to your liking. You may also like a Flip Oakes Wild Thing, which is my other current horn.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
Let me be the first to say it, get a Bach 37. JUST KIDDING, it drives me crazy how so many people throw that out there as the default standard recommendation. Now that we got that out of the way, let's talk serious.

I have never played the Getzen Severinsen, but from your description it sounds like my cup of tea, light, bright, nimble, responsive, lively, etc. Kind of like the older King Silver Flair, some older Yamahas, and Schilke horns. My main horn lately has been Schilke B6b.

I am a huge Schilke fan and have owned various models. I think the S22 or S32 would be very much to your liking. You may also like a Flip Oakes Wild Thing, which is my other current horn.

Agreed. I've never been that much of a Bach fan myself (probably due to them being crammed down our throats in high school). I've heard good things about Schilke horns. What attracted you to yours? I'm not familiar with the Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet at all, so same question on that one.

1958 Conn Director 14A
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have almost zero experience with Severinsens, they have a great reputation. Before I started spending a lot of money to replace a horn that I like playing, I would consider a mouthpiece change. If you want a darker sound, try a version of your current mouthpiece with a deeper cup. Maybe a slightly bigger backbore too, if you can get it.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
Although I have almost zero experience with Severinsens, they have a great reputation. Before I started spending a lot of money to replace a horn that I like playing, I would consider a mouthpiece change. If you want a darker sound, try a version of your current mouthpiece with a deeper cup. Maybe a slightly bigger backbore too, if you can get it.

John

That was my first thought as well because that would have been a lot more cost effective! I actually tried doing that (I went on what I believe is called a mouthpiece safari) with about 10-12 different mps, and while a deeper cup and/or backbore does make a slight difference in the sound (it makes it a little fuller), it doesn't really affect the overall brightness. The Getzen is a great horn, but it is definitely bright.

1958 Conn Director 14A

Last edited by rhatheway on Tue May 21, 2024 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:13 am    Post subject: Getzen canadian brass trumpet Reply with quote

My recommendation would be the Getzen Canadian Brass Trumpet. I felt it was more open the Getzen 900 trumpet. If you could try before you buy , it might be a good choice.
Denis Wick 4 W classic gold short shank
Jupiter 9e (5 C) short shank mouthpiece
Getzen 4 b short shank mouthpiece
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen canadian brass trumpet Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
My recommendation would be the Getzen Canadian Brass Trumpet. I felt it was more open the Getzen 900 trumpet. If you could try before you buy , it might be a good choice.

When you say it felt more open, do you mean the overall sound and tone, or ease of blow, or what exactly?

1958 Conn Director 14A
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also don't want to spend a mint, as I'm not a professional, so maybe somewhere in the $1-1.5K range at most.

The first horn that comes to mind in that price range is the Getzen 700S Eterna II. Terrific horn, warmer sound than the 900S, and more defined slots. Ignore the "Intermediate" label; it is an excellent horn.

The Getzen 907 Proteus is another excellent horn to consider. Not as easy to find used, but a good buy if you find one. Note that this is a different model from the 907DLX (which is an even nicer horn IMO, but more expensive).

Someone mentioned Schilke. You'll be hard-pressed to find one in good playing condition in your price range, but the Schilke i-32 would be another fine choice. I'd say the same thing about the Shires Q10.

The Getzen CB10 Canadian Brass model was also mentioned. Hard to come by, but quite nice horns typically available used in your price range.

Last, the Eastman 824S and the older 821S are well-made instruments from the parent company of Shires. Should be fairly easy to find one used in good condition in your price range.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All kidding aside I have found that Bachs with a gold brass bell work well in a concert or orchestral setting (though I prefer the 43).

Others that might be different from your Getzen are (on my list and based on how I experienced them):

Yamaha Xeno
Conn vintage 1
Conn 6B
Yamaha 4335
Adams A4
Rotaries
Kanstul 1500A

Flugelhorns
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I play a '68 Getzen Severinsen.

The only way to commit to a new horn is to get rid of the old one. Yours happens to be exactly what my parents bought for me in middle school - that I miss. I'll PM you my address!
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a Getzen Eterna 900 from 'The Dark Ages' as mr. Getzen himself called those late 80's early 90's Getzen trumpets.
These Eterna's where drifted away from the original design and lean more towards trumpets with a 37-ish bell.
You can find those trumpets easely for around $1000, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/126372352533?itmmeta=01HYDTE0CA1TY5MW7GBSMSFQ7E&hash=item1d6c611215:g:BlcAAOSwbLRl70c~&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8BxluqrKka3gZGIbBIBKmFBMLpfsil0S7Amc0%2B3vvzHqtlIa4m1KcDRpKGhIfW9IcNlJ%2FIf%2BXXM1h0mj9UFrFQTKRwxNQMyG2Cx4PdwAKg6tYF06Ddk7o2JoktTDWbjQI65Xq9IN%2B4zDg8tJ%2BMfQZQ3GcITPnBh8TD5OUzG3ugXntzWUwqAubAi%2FCBljwnJPG6pAYcjgSLVeXtQ6H7VREtBxwrvnwqczLOdt7DIIGzAUs3g5YDMBvHdqjimVlwx8l8oNg9LPFxI2p5XKGcSJLiJ5f521YP0ix%2FrrHrhqE2jWlghLqBKildGg57So5WlR9g%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5yGuLrzYw

Good luck!
I use one of these in our symphony orchestra
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure trying to shove a Bach down someone’s throat would be classified as assault, punishable by jail time. 🤔
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
ldwoods wrote:

Agreed. I've never been that much of a Bach fan myself (probably due to them being crammed down our throats in high school). I've heard good things about Schilke horns. What attracted you to yours? I'm not familiar with the Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet at all, so same question on that one.

From about 2004 thru 2011 I bought and sold a lot of trumpets. I wanted to play a wide variety and bought well over 100 trumpets during that time period. I probably had over 20 Schilkes of differing and same models. In a word, the thing I really liked about all of them was responsive, nimble, lively, efficient, easy to play ( I guess that was more than one word, lol).

The Wild Thing is a large bore and most come with at least two tuning slides you can experiment with to kind of choke it down or add some resistance. The sound I get on the WT is more diffuse, broad, filling the room in a sense. They can scream and really brighten up, but generally lean more to the dark side. Even though they may be dark, or some have called them tubby, they are very responsive and agile. My first WT was the 8th one made by Flip and it was really special. In a fit of stupidity I sold it and regretted it ever since. I later bought a new one that was really good, but did not have the magic of the first one. They are no longer made, but can be found used from time to time. Do a search on TH and you will find tons of reading to get a sense of how they play.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Getzen 700 Eterna. A little darker than the Severinsen but just as nimble. You can find them for under $1k on eBay, Reverb, or the TH marketplace. I got mine for $600 about four years ago, though it was a little beat up. $8-900 should be a reasonable price for a newer (10 yrs or less) one in good condition.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:22 am    Post subject: Getzen canadian brass trumpet Reply with quote

Concerning the Getzen Canadian Brass trumpet sound.I do not know if open or free blowing sound is that right term. Liked there was very little warmup,excellent articulation, flexibility, easy to play and loved the overall sound. The mouthpieces used were Bach Megatone 5B, 3C and don't remember the other one.
Decided to buy a professional trumpet, So I bought the Getzen 900 trumpet. Amazed at the sound, articulation, flexibilty. Didn't like that it took time to warm up. It sounded a little stuffy for my taste.
Then I saw, won the bid for a Getzen Canadian Brass trumpet. Compared the two trumpets and the Canadian Brass clearly won it checked all the boxes. If I didn't buy the Canadian Brass trumpet, would have keep the 900.
I am a comeback player and playing cornets exclusively.

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Tue May 21, 2024 8:12 am; edited 3 times in total
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:42 am    Post subject: Getzen 700 trumpet Reply with quote

The Getzen 700 trumpet is a excellent semi professional trumpet and is reasonable priced.But is it there much difference between the Doc Severison and the 700 trumpet?
I heard a noticeable different in sound between the 700 trumpet and the 900.
My personal experience with these three horns is the 900 and Canadian brass trumpet are worth the additional price.
Have you considered a tuneup of your trumpet by your favorite tech?

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Tue May 21, 2024 9:13 am; edited 4 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're playing in a very good semi-professional, or better, orchestra, you don't need another horn. I played a Severinson, professionally, not only in big band and commercial settings, but in wind ensembles and varied classical ensembles. Mental imagery and the right mouthpiece make a big difference.

FWIW, I used a Purviance 4*D4 for big band and commercial playing and a Schilke Model 11 for classical. YMMV.

If you're hell-bent on getting a new horn - and before this thread closes you're likely to get as many recommendations as there are people - I would get a Bach 190-37. That Beast does it all. IMO a true "Goldilocks" horn.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue May 21, 2024 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethmike wrote:
Quote:
I play a '68 Getzen Severinsen.

The only way to commit to a new horn is to get rid of the old one. Yours happens to be exactly what my parents bought for me in middle school - that I miss. I'll PM you my address!

While that's tempting, I'm gonna hang on to that one, as in another year or so I hope my chops have improved enough that I can start playing in a jazz band again!

1958 Conn Director 14A
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Excellent choice Reply with quote

What is the cost of a trumpet tuneup by your favorite tech?
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I recommend as a starter ng point in addition to what has been suggested.

At least 1 of all the Olds .models from the late LA and early Fullerton period.

Conns including 36B and 38 B Connstellations, 10 B and 22B Victors, with Coprion bells if you can find the.

At least one Al Hirt LeBlanc in goldplate with the silver signature.

Holton 47B and 52 LB. And all the MF Variants.

A Gen III Edwards with several bells and leadpipes.

Selmer balanced models in the various bore sizes. The the K Mods in all bore sizes, including standard and light weight.

Martin Committees from all periods and bore sizes. Maybe a Handcraft Imperial with the M in the Lion's paws.

A Taylor Chicago II Heavyweight and Lightweight.

There are some really interesting CarolBrass horns out there.

And a nice Bach ML37 Corporation bell trumpet just to see why they seem to be so reviled.

Or whatever catches your fancy next!🤓
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: