• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing multiple instruments

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
Did you ever have to play drums, wherein you either had to (due to injury/other), or by choice, switch your normal hand-holding?

Funny thing: I was asked to sit-in on drums with another band, whose regular drummer wanted to take a few extended breaks (wife/girlfriend spat). I sat on the throne/stool, and was confused. Everything was "backwards" for me. It was a righty set-up.

Only once, when I had just started drums, have been asked to sub for a left-handed drummer using his kit, and like you it was really weird. They ended up asking a different drummer. Most of my drum patterns rely on muscle memory so I have trouble switching it up in general (can still play certain complex riffs at speed without practice, just don’t ask me to adjust a single note in the rythm lol).

Funnily enough I never had trouble with French horn being left-handed. Even played an improv solo once using a French horn in one hand and a trumpet in the other, switching every few notes (the crowd really digged it 😊). The fingerings for F and G being swapped for horn and trumpet however was harder to manage.

Weird how the mind works sometimes…
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
Did you ever have to play drums, wherein you either had to (due to injury/other), or by choice, switch your normal hand-holding?

Funny thing: I was asked to sit-in on drums with another band, whose regular drummer wanted to take a few extended breaks (wife/girlfriend spat). I sat on the throne/stool, and was confused. Everything was "backwards" for me. It was a righty set-up.

Only once, when I had just started drums, have been asked to sub for a left-handed drummer using his kit, and like you it was really weird. They ended up asking a different drummer. Most of my drum patterns rely on muscle memory so I have trouble switching it up in general (can still play certain complex riffs at speed without practice, just don’t ask me to adjust a single note in the rythm lol).

Funnily enough I never had trouble with French horn being left-handed. Even played an improv solo once using a French horn in one hand and a trumpet in the other, switching every few notes (the crowd really digged it 😊). The fingerings for F and G being swapped for horn and trumpet however was harder to manage.

Weird how the mind works sometimes…

I experienced similar:

With a LOT of work/practice, I did some gigs with a soul/Motown set list. I was hired to play organ. They lacked a brass section, and a woodwind section. I got the bright idea to play trumpet with the right hand, while I played chords with the left hand on the lower keyboard of the organ.
Now, mind you, the organ is pitched Concert C, and the trumpet is in Bb, as we all know. (I did not have a C-trumpet at the time)
Anyhow, I had to think in both keys at the same time to play the horn and the organ at the same time.
"Excedrin Headache"

cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for grins, how about Gunhild Carling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywNeumntoE
Pic: Kanstul 920
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Std
Bass Tr: BAC Custom
Nat. Tr: Nikolai Mänttäri Morales Haas replica
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Just for grins, how about Gunhild Carling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywNeumntoE

Not just grins, she's a talented player. Thanks for sharing!
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other instrument is guitar, which I play better, though not for lack of trying on the trumpet. I have a 1921 vintage Olds trombone I dabble with sometimes, I picked it up cheap at an antique market. With my trumpet chops, I had no problem playing it, even high notes, in short order, but i haven't gotten much past Mary Had a Little Lamb.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does bass trumpet count as a separate instrument?

How about natural trumpet or baroque trumpet?

I do have a trombone and once played it, but I substituted a bass trumpet for it, and it now sits in its case most of the time.

Used to play banjo in a bluegrass band. Now that really counts as a different instrument. I occasionally play backup stuff on the banjo with friends, but my lead fingers are too out of practice.
Pic: Kanstul 920
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Std
Bass Tr: BAC Custom
Nat. Tr: Nikolai Mänttäri Morales Haas replica
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow-up to this thread, I have comments related to my earlier posting ....

I play one particular gig, on a once monthly basis. I play percussion / drums.
The "limiting factor" in playing any other instruments on which I am proficient, is the physical lifting / hauling around all the cases, and what not.
A drum kit requires a fair bit of apparatus and set-up time.

Just to play a different instrument for the novelty of it?
I don't think so.
tptLad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could say I'm "pan-sectional."

At the moment, I can sing all four choral parts, and I dance some (I'm very proficient in tap dance). I also play keys at a virtuosic level viola, fife, marimba, some marching snare, and other percussion toys in addition to trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: