• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fluegelhorn Mouthpiece (Classical Sound)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to find a Bach mouthpiece to produce a classical sound on a Fluegelhorn. I've been using the Bach 1 1/2 C but I'm switching mouthpieces on all of my horns since I feel pretty much in shape now. Yes I stopped playing for a few months... hmm or is it years??
Since I sold some of my equipment years back I can't remember what moutpiece I used before to produce a nice big dark Fluegelhorn classical sound. I mean I want to produce the sound of Fluegelhorn NOT the sound of a trumpet on a Fluegelhorn. Please notice that I DID NOT post this in the Jazz section because I'm not looking for that type of sound.

If you're curious about from what to what I'm switching to here it is.

Going from a

Trumpet Bb and C
Bach 1 1/2C (27 bore, 24 backbore)

to a
Bach 1 underpart, 1C rim (22 bore, 24 backbore)

Piccolo Trumpet
Stomvi 5e
to a Bach 7E (25 bore, 117 backbore)

Fluegelhorn
Bach 1 1/2 C to (??bore, ??? backbore)
Any suggestions on what bore and backbore?

Well thanks guys for your help!
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the "classic" flugel sound is "big and dark." It's more like "light and fluffy" to me. The French flugels (Couenon, Selmer Paris) are all small bore horns with brass bells (NOT copper) that respond best to a light touch.

I have noted that these days, at least here in the USA, there's a big move toward a darker, more "tromboney" tone. That's ok, but I prefer the old, lighter sound myself. GR makes great pieces for that old sound. Someone else will have to recommend a piece for you to use at the opposite end of the tonal spectrum.

Dave
Bartok
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're curious about from what to what I'm switching to here it is.

Going from a

Trumpet Bb and C
Bach 1 1/2C (27 bore, 24 backbore)

to a
Bach 1 underpart, 1C rim (22 bore, 24 backbore)

Piccolo Trumpet
Stomvi 5e
to a Bach 7E (25 bore, 117 backbore)

Fluegelhorn
Bach 1 1/2 C to (??bore, ??? backbore)
Any suggestions on what bore and backbore?

Just curious....are you trying to sound like Phil Smith? Those are his mouthpieces sizes he uses.

How about a Denis Wick flugel mouthpiece..maybe a 2 or 2B with a Bach 1C rim threaded on???
GR Tech

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concept of Flugel is simple. Find your own voice. Use the kind of equipment that allows you to play accurately and with the best possible intonation.

Listen to Guido Basso and Chase Sanborn do a superb flugel duet on Chase's CD, Good To The Last Bop, Track #4-Line For Lyons. I can tell the difference between Guido and Chase in any area. Guido has fluff to his sound and Chase is more pure. They are both individual voices and great musicians. They have distinctive voices. Chose your voice and play what you need to accomplish that.

When you listen to a vocalist you don't say, "Oh Ella's bright or Mel is dark!" You say wow! Mel sounds like himself. Ella has some pipes! Forget bright and dark, find a voice for you and play musical.

Search for a mouthpiece and horn that allows you to play accurately. Often extremely deep or shallow flugel mouthpieces will cause you to miss notes. No matter how dark or bright you sound if you can't execute or play in tune you will not get hired.

DC is close to the mark when he talks about the lighter sound vs. the trombone like. I see more of a trend going to the lighter sound in the mouthpiece and horn designs. Many of the good newer Flugel (Conn Vintage 1) designs have the smaller bore. I do make very deep Flugel Mouthpieces but most players miss too many notes, poor upper register, and intonation problems. For most players the best solution is a balance somewhere in the middle. Make sure the player, horn and mouthpiece are a match. There are many choices.

Take your pick and find your voice.
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past when I've wanted a super dark flugel horn sound I've used my horn mouthpiece via an adapter on flugle. Its a great sound provided you don't have to go above the staff. I'm not sure where to get the adapter or if they even make it anymore. It was something that I found in the case of an old trumpet I bought in an antique shop. A horn to cornet adapter might work as well.

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: