• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marcel. . .Maurice André

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Marcel. . .Maurice André Reply with quote

Marcel André with a type of physical trumpet Dna that passed to the son. A miner his whole life in the village of Alès, but with extraordinary enthusiasm for playing in local brass groups.

No recordings, but fortunate to have this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIW6AUESWr4
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an increasing number of folks that use only ear buds or computer speakers.. audio buffs might try a pair of early Advents, that can be found without great effort. Foam kit generally needed but with elmer's glue are 2 hours to restore. Intended - 80 watts a channel, but 45 will work. Bass of a pipe organ will reverberate a room or house, and the overall sound is tremendous.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649045714-vintage_the_large_advent_speakersreal_wood_versions/images/543078/

Last edited by rothman on Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

___

rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some fine legit soloists today, but inside a cathedral where the slightest flaw can be heard, playing up high, and before the last chorus land on the F in the staff like that.. is not common today or fifty years ago.

Analogy - Rocky Marciano wasn't the biggest, fastest, or strongest, but when all was said and done, many still regard as the greatest heavyweight of all time.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bRrss4kBi2M
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great recrodings. Thank you.
Pic: Kanstul 920
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Std
Bass Tr: BAC Custom
Nat. Tr: Nikolai Mänttäri Morales Haas replica
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Some great recordings. Thank you.

A Christmas carol to the hymn tune "Gloria" from a traditional French song of unknown origin called "Les Anges dans nos campagnes"

Link
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of hearing and meeting Maurice Andre. He appeared as a soloist with The 92nd Street YMHA Orchestra. This would have been around 1985, Gerard Schwartz was conducting.
He was astounding. After the performance he was standing by himself, and I approached him to sign my program. He didn't speak much English but was very gracious. An odd little memory. He had changed clothes and was wearing a bolo tie!!!!! I sometimes can't remember what I ate for breakfast, but I remember the bolo tie.
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
..He didn't speak much English but was very gracious. An odd little memory. He had changed clothes and was wearing a bolo tie!!!!! I sometimes can't remember what I ate for breakfast, but I remember the bolo tie.

Never heard of them till now...

https://pinterest.com/pin/155937205830400579/
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
I had the pleasure of hearing and meeting Maurice Andre. He appeared as a soloist with The 92nd Street YMHA Orchestra. This would have been around 1985, Gerard Schwartz was conducting.
He was astounding.

Agree, my .02 on what it was like hearing him at Heinz hall. Standard fare pieces of Haydn were not all that exciting. He was able to impress with sound levels, in the middle, or end of a passage or phrase.

Although there was a good amount of soft, mf, playing, he would swell the volume, 3x - 4x in a way that no one in the place could confuse for anything but powerful, top of staff to high E or F.. plus the sound seemed to be as good as a Chef style cheesecake.. one fresh baked.

Years ago a review was given by someone that caught him in Europe.. at a Cathedral on something difficult, involving some 45 min of playing, seen in high spirits, bobbing or 'dancing' as it went along. Fellow included the remark, "he didn't even almost miss a note."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: