• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton 28 cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rmc61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Holton 28 cornet Reply with quote

Does anyone have information on the Holton 28 cornet? If so please let me know. I am looking at one and wondered if it was a well thought of instrument and if it was a pro model or student horn? Any info would be of help.[img]

Thanks - RC[/img]
SilverSpunk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Holton 28 cornet Reply with quote

Rmc61 wrote:
Does anyone have information on the Holton 28 cornet? If so please let me know. I am looking at one and wondered if it was a well thought of instrument and if it was a pro model or student horn? Any info would be of help.[img]

Thanks - RC[/img]

These cornets were most definitely professional level instruments, the older Holton 25 cornets have a similar styling to the 1940s Holton 48s, the model 28 and model 29 cornets match the styling (valve block and bracing) of the later Holtons from the 50s. I have a silver plated model 29 cornet that I'm planning to list for sale that is in excellent condition.

You can always visit the https://holtonloyalist.com/

For more information.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these. Mine was made in the mid 50's. It has a huge bore, 485 or something similar, and it came with an old style mouthpiece receiver, which I had changed to accept modern mouthpieces. I'm not sure what you want to know about it. I never got around to using mine, since I have a Getzen Eterna, which IMO is a much better cornet. Frankly, I would say that a Yamaha student cornet would be better than the Holton 28. It is an oddball with the huge bore, no tuning mechanisms on the 3rd or 1st slides..antiquated mp. receiver....it is OK, but it really depends on what you want to do with it. Play it and see if you like it. It is well made and built like a tank.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Model 28 is a professional cornet. It falls into the middle of a long lineage of serious American Long Model cornets from Holton over a 60 year period.

The Holton New Proportion Long Model cornet (the "O" bore also being known as the "Couturer Model") was around as the flagship Holton American style long cornet from 1905 to 1916, when it was tweaked and became the Holton Clark models. In 1914 however, the Revelation model cornet was derived from this line - there is a copy of a Holton newsletter from the factory archive with the new wrap for the Revelation drawn right over a long model. By 1924, the nested slides for high & low pitch, and quick-change from Bb to A had become obsolete, and the same basic design stripped of all that unnecessary hardware was named the Model 28. These were built from 1924 to 1936. In 1937 the wrap was joined with a garlanded bell by Tony Getzen as the Model 24 Resotone cornet, which was briefly the only Holton cornet. In 1939, something much more like the Model 28 was dubbed the Model 25, and remained in production through 1965.

The New Proportion, Revelation and Model 28 at first cornets were available in a wide range of bore sizes. (The Resotone only .461 and the Model 25, only ,465). After a year or two, the 28 was only available as .465 bore - bt thats pretty standard

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: