• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Custom Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
F&B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Custom Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I am curious about mouthpieces. I am looking to replace my 3C. I have a 2C, 1 1/2C, a NY 3C gold plated and a NY 10. I primarily use the 3C which is 2 years old. I’ve explored Stork, Toshi and GR. Any thoughts?
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought is:

Why are you looking to replace it?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 3C is a very common size. Your best bet is to contact other trumpet mouthpiece makers, discuss what you like/don't like about your current 3C, what your playing needs are, and then get their recommendation.

You've already explored Bach, GR, Stork and Toshi. Try contacting Pickett/Blackburn, Hammond Design, Warburton, Greg Black Mouthpieces, Bob Reeves Brass Mouthpieces...and get their insights.

If you opt to keep trying on your own, Mouthpiece has a reasonable return policy, and they stock Curry, Schilke, Yamaha and others.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is asking some of your fellow trumpet players if they have mouthpiece you can try, maybe one of those will give you a hint as to what it is you're looking for. Another way to try mouthpieces cheaply is to buy them used on the internet, because if you don't like them, you can re-sell them for more or less the same value that you bought them for.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Just_Another_Hack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you looking to change? How long have you been playing? What's broken that you're trying to fix?
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the good questions and comments already stated, what model Stork and GR did you try (and I'm not familiar with Toshi but some here will be)?

I migrated over a few decades from an older 3C to Warburton 4MC to GR 66 MS where I am now. I've played a Pickett/Blackburn 3, which is similar and really nice for classical. And I've played a Touvron from Donat, which is a great sound for church if I don't need to go above the staff.

So, what models of those brands?

And, I see you are near me. Are you at SCCC? Union?
F&B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
My first thought is:

Why are you looking to replace it?

As I get older my embouchure is getting thinner and endurance seems to be waning. I will stay with the 3C unless something really wows me.
F&B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
In addition to the good questions and comments already stated, what model Stork and GR did you try (and I'm not familiar with Toshi but some here will be)?

I migrated over a few decades from an older 3C to Warburton 4MC to GR 66 MS where I am now. I've played a Pickett/Blackburn 3, which is similar and really nice for classical. And I've played a Touvron from Donat, which is a great sound for church if I don't need to go above the staff.

I’ve looked at so many models. I tried the GR Bergeron - I’m not a high note player for the most part. Looking for a tone more than anything else.

I’m a private student with one of the teachers at SCCC.
acompton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F&B wrote:
As I get older my embouchure is getting thinner and endurance seems to be waning. I will stay with the 3C unless something really wows me.

I was playing a Bach 3B for the longest time, and even tried to move into the 1 1/2 C range recently, but some local cats got me cued in to the size 6. I've been really pleased with how these MPs have treated me now that I'm older. For my C, I'm moving mostly between a Yamaha Hagstrom and a Bach 6BM, and with my Bb, I move between a Bach 6 and a Bach 6C (I've got one with a 26 throat I prefer). It's definitely something to consider for efficiency.

All best on your search!

Andrew
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marecinkiewicz "Baptist" model is similar in diameter to a 3C, but much more comfortable. I use one for my C trumpet.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F&B wrote:
Riojazz wrote:

I’ve looked at so many models. I tried the GR Bergeron - I’m not a high note player for the most part. Looking for a tone more than anything else.

I’m a private student with one of the teachers at SCCC.

Canterbury? Bellino?

I think the Wayne Bergeron mouthpieces are nowhere near a 3C. With a rim inside diameter of .631 they are closer to a 10.5 C.
F&B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t tell if my response posted so I’ll give it another go. I was able to to try several of the mouthpieces that were suggested and a few others that were not through a friend who had a collection from a lifetime of searching for the perfect setup. After that experiment I settled on the ACB HH. It just seemed to fit. Comfortable and I really liked the sound. Thank you everyone for their time, advice and suggestions. I appreciate it.
F&B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:02 am    Post subject: Custom mouthpiece Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone for your support and suggestions. I appreciated the feedback and openness. I was able to try several mouthpieces through a friend who has spent a lifetime in search of the perfect setup. Too many mouthpieces to even comprehend in his collection. Lol. I settled on an Austin Custom Brass HH. It just worked for me. It was a lot like my 2C but a little more open and very comfortable for me. I have a Bach 2C, they say the two are similar, I’ll let you know. Now I have some mouthpieces to sell, lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: