• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do they compare?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radman63

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: How do they compare? Reply with quote

I just picked up my trumpet again after about 45 years of not playing! I was never really very good. I just played in junior high and high school. My old trumpet is a 1976 Blessing XL. I bought that because the music store owner that ran our junior high school band sold those. I found out in high school that the cool trumpet to get was a Bach Stradivarius, and most of the older guys played those. So, the younger guys had entry-level Selmers, Conns and Bundys, and the Juniors and Seniors had Strads. I was the only kid with a Blessing.

So now that I'm "back into it", I'm trying to learn about the various brands and models. I've found websites that are good about talking about some of the models and providing serial number dating information, but is there any reference to see how models compare to each other of the same brand or different brands.

I also see there are discussions here about one model compares to another, like Ambassador compared to Director, but it there a definitive guide out there that covers "everything"?

For example, I assume a Conn 1050 is better than a 1000, and a 22 is better than a 20? Although sometimes a lower number is just an older model that might be better than a newer model with a higher number? And then, how does a 20-series family of models compare to a 1000-series family? Is a 22 better than a 1000? And this is only trying to figure out one brand. How do they compare with Olds and Kings?

Olds: Super recording seems to be the best, and Ambassador seems to be the low-end student, entry-level. Then where do Supers, Super Stars, Specials and the rest fall? How do they compare with Conns and Kings?

King: Different lineages of Liberty models, Silver Flairs, Silversonics, etc. How do they compare with Conns and Olds?

Then, there are the dozen or more other brands out there and still around.

I don't expect someone to give me all this information on every brand and model in this forum, but maybe you can point me in the direction of a resource that explains how all these different brands and models compare to each other? I just wanted to give you some examples so that maybe you will understand what I'm asking. Thanks.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the Olds trumpets, the 2nd post in this thread may be worth reading.

For more information about Olds, checkout Olds Central or the articles on Robb Stewart’s website.

As for comparing the various horns, there’s a trumpet player named Trent Austin who has a youtube channel with hundreds of videos of him playing different trumpets. While they’ll obviously sound different when you play them, Trent’s a very consistent player and as such you can get some idea as to what the differences between some of those horns are.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: How do they compare Reply with quote

Quote:
I just picked up my trumpet again after about 45 years of not playing! I was never really very good. I just played in junior high and high school.

Replace 45 with 40, and you have my story. My advice, take a few lessons immediately from a good teacher. It will cost a few bucks, but it will accelerate your progress tremendously. It will set you on a correct path from the get-go. The 3 worst things you can do are (and I did them):

1. Think that you can do it by yourself + YouTube + other people's posts
2. Start playing and reinforcing the bad form you had as an average teenager.
3. Get a bad, low-cost teacher

I wasted 3 years doing the above. I quit. Then I started lessons with a great teacher 2 years ago. I play from double pedal tones to E above High C, my tone is very good, my single, double, and triple tonguing are very good and improving rapidly lately, my valve speed on Clarke's in pretty good for a 60+ year old. And I really enjoy playing! It is 2 - 30 minutes sessions a day of pure enjoyment. Far more interesting than Engineering and making my quarterly numbers.

Mike
Yamaha 631 Flugel
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: How do they compare Reply with quote

Bethmike wrote:
...My advice, take a few lessons immediately from a good teacher. It will cost a few bucks, but it will accelerate your progress tremendously. It will set you on a correct path from the get-go.

Great post. I'd add that a good teacher will be the best person to know if your current gear is suitable or what might suit you better.

And the best gear in the world will do you little good without a good guide.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Strobe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen a definitive guide as it can be very subjective and could be endless due to the sheer number of trumpet types. The previous suggestion to watch comparison videos on Youtube is great as it allows you to compare for yourself. Have adopted a number of horns so a few of the personal things I look for are:
1) How well does the horn blend with the others in the section/band?
2) What sound do I want? (Bright, mellow, etc.)
3) How does it work for me? Slotting, feel, range, etc..
i.e. my Bach Strad blends well in symphonic band -other members use Bach or Schilke etc.. My "first" King Cleveland also blends well My Martin Committee just doesn't sound right to me for most symphonic pieces
For Jazz Band - Play a Martin- it does not slot well, but I love the sound and I can bend notes easier and be more creative which I like. The Olds SR is a great horn and slots very well with a solid core sound but I personally prefer the Martin -have played a Bach Strad in HS and College Jazz bands and it also worked well - personal preference.
If you can try as many as you can you'll start to get a sense of what you like. Depending on where you live there may be a music store, trumpet hang, or collector/(addict) where you can try some. You can generally get a "decent" sound out of most trumpets if you have the fundamentals so the suggestions to take lessons will help then you can fine tune things with your equipment later on.
Good Luck!
Bach Hybrid 239
Olds Super Recording ''40's
King Cleveland ''76 (My First)
Olds Super Cornet ' '59
Boston 3 Star Cornet 1912
King Silvertone Cornet '35
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: