• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen 900S Eterna Classic Series Bb: Is $800 a good deal?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
At what point do you feel the horn is holding you back? Above high C?

If you were going to get dings fixed, maybe doing that sooner rather than later and having a GOOD tech look at it may help you detect some other flaw affecting playability that may have happened in shipping.

My everyday range is E above high C and I have a 900, a 907, and an X-13. None of the three hold me back.

I’d say above G5.
—Yamaha YTS-354 trombone
—King 627 “baritonium”
—Akai EWI 5000
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having your trumpet builder or repair tech taking a look at a used (or even new) instrument is always a good plan. I have mine practically on speed dial, and all of my trumpets nowadays have been bought used and checked/improved/aligned/customised by him (taking a bow towards Manfred Fehrer of Rohrau).

But I would not be too quick selling the Getzen again. Give it a chance and try it, not just with different mouthpieces, but also with different repertoire, in different rooms, in rehearsal or even better, in concert. Record yourself if possible.

First of all: Your new trumpet might simply respond to different air/tongue attack. Maybe you are overblowing, maybe not.

Secondly: The sound of your instrument might be a lot different in a band/ensemble/orchestra context. I remember running for a shallow mouthpiece between two songs once because the trumpet I had chosen for the gig was a lot darker in the wind band context than at home in my room.

On the other hand, a trumpet that played like a revelation when you bought it might throw you an unexpected curve ball in performance. My easiest-to-play trumpet is an Adams A5, it's wide open and gorgeous in sound. Well, the trade-off is that you're playing without a net. You don't hit the note between the eyes, you split. (I'm still keeping it, though.)

So, every instrument is a compromise.
Do try and learn to appreciate the strengths and charms of an instrument, even if it seems imperfect to you at first. You can still sell with confidence at a later stage (I give my instruments 2 to 5 years minimum before I sell).

Anyways, good luck with your Getzen, whatever you choose to do with it.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecoast wrote:
I’d say above G5.

Yeah, that's an anomaly.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
thecoast wrote:
I’d say above G5.

Yeah, that's an anomaly.
For those of us who deal with different standards (Yamaha versus Roland) of numbering systems for pitches (and that's concert pitch), plus disagreement of what octave middle C is, would you tell us what note G5 is in terms of a Bb trumpet and a staff? Is this a G just above the staff? G over high C?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, everybody knows that's the fifth G above - which C is that?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Slight Tangent Reply with quote

To answer your original question, $800 - seller discount + investment in ding/dent repair = a great deal. I have seen less-heralded Getzen models in worse condition sell for far more on eBay and Reverb.

thecoast wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Quote:
One caveat. Listen to Doc. If that's the sound you want, go for it. But if it's not, get another horn.

That's good insight because, though it has been said rightly "you're going to sound like you," it is also true that the trumpet you're playing will sound like the trumpet you're playing. --snip--

I believe what is referenced here is something called the, "Getzen zing". It's a sweet brightness to the sound that is different from the more well-known Bach-37 sound. I'm a fan of the Getzen zing, but I'll concede that it's not for everybody. There is a reason why the Bach-37 sound became the standard, and not just because of Vincent Bach's parent company(ies) aggressive marketing over the decades. It's a sound in the goldilocks-zone of trumpet sounds. It's just right.

I'm aware that Getzen has made "heavy" trumpets which sounded "darker". However, The Severinsen Eternas were the epitome of the Getzen zing. Interestingly enough, there was always talk/rumor/whatever that Doc himself used his Severinsen Eterna with a Bach 37 bell.

A while back, right here on the TH people, were talking about the Capri and Eterna C trumpets as very good instruments that Getzen stopped making for no discernable reason. Everybody who talks about owning them seemed to be really, really happy with them. Well-know professionals used Capri C's despite the fact they were sold as intermediate trumpets. My guess: The Getzen zing may not be to everybody's taste when it's coming out of a larger Bb, but it just fits the C trumpet. You have a Capri C trumpet listed as one of your trumpets, and you say it's a fun instrument to play, just like everybody else who opined in the referenced conversation.

Incidentally, the conversation I mentioned here prompted the Getzen bros. to prototype C trumpets as part of their new-revival Eterna Deluxe line. Right now the only C trumpets Getzen have in their catalog are their Custom-line C trumpets, which by their description, are probably designed to play and sound like the Bachs and Yamahas dominating the "legit" market.

Last edited by Didymus on Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:26 am; edited 2 times in total
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
thecoast wrote:
I’d say above G5.

For those of us who deal with different standards (Yamaha versus Roland) of numbering systems for pitches (and that's concert pitch), plus disagreement of what octave middle C is, would you tell us what note G5 is in terms of a Bb trumpet and a staff? Is this a G just above the staff? G over high C?

You know, I did anticipate the ambiguity so I used a modern music theory resource called "Music Theory for the 21st-Century" https://musictheory.pugetsound.edu/mt21c/OctaveRegisters.html
and there found that:
"The note C[size=x-small]4[/size] is known as 'middle C' and is an important reference point." Keyboard is shown. Illustration at URL above.

In brief, starting at about A above the staff. (BTW, I didn't know the ambiguity was owed to keyboard manufacturer preferences. And I looked up this polemic and found that Roland would be considered conventional octave register notation as above https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/70519/what-is-rolands-pitch-and-yamahas-pitch-and-how-to-convert-notes-to-them . Very interesting).
—Yamaha YTS-354 trombone
—King 627 “baritonium”
—Akai EWI 5000
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mr oakmount
I appreciate the advice. I really want to keep it. I don't play in all the contexts you mention. Basic church trumpet soloist. Only recently have I started to play in a duet and even more recently in a trio. I found there's no problem in blending with the Getzen. And I use either a Bach/Legend 1-1/2C or a Parduba 7-1/2. I like the results I get with either mouthpiece, with the Parduba being a little more gentle on attacks.

But there's a piece we play (duet), a co-arrangement with the other guy, and I play a section that stays between line D on staff and C above staff. I play it confidently on the Omega. The Getzen just fights back. However, I did try playing softer and it seemed to help. So your suggestion about over-blowing may be spot on. The trouble is the switch mentally and physically. I don't know if I want to make those kinds of transitions or not. At least I don't know yet. We'll see. I do appreciate the time you took to make the insightful suggestions.
—Yamaha YTS-354 trombone
—King 627 “baritonium”
—Akai EWI 5000
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Slight Tangent Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:

…….I believe what is referenced here is something called the, "Getzen zing". It's a sweet brightness to the sound that is different from the more well-known Bach-37 sound. I'm a fan of the Getzen zing, but I'll concede that it's not for everybody. There is a reason why the Bach-37 sound became the standard, and not just because of Vincent Bach's parent company(ies) aggressive marketing over the decades. It's a sound in the goldilocks-zone of trumpet sounds. It's just right.
…..

That (“Getzen zing”….”sweet brightness”) is EXACTLY what I get out of my Eterna 900 Classic, which is what makes it work so well for commercial playing. Those are great descriptions of this horn’s sound.

Brad
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. So A over the staff is where the problem starts.

That was good to consult a reference for what note is what description. Just be aware there are standards out there that disagree with that reference. But that's not important; now we know what you are describing. As far as the answer, I have no idea.
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:
[...]

First of all: Your new trumpet might simply respond to different air/tongue attack. Maybe you are overblowing, maybe not.

Well, looks like you nailed it. So I approached the trumpet differently and now the Getzen Eterna seems it's perhaps too easy to play relative to the effort put into the Bach Omega. It's a very different experience. The Eterna seems harder to slot but that's, again, relative to the Omega. I suppose it's a matter of making adjustments. I also feel there is a different presence of the horn from behind it. Like the Omega is broader and seems louder, whereas the Eterna seems like it projects more narrowly and seems less loud. I have a buddy I'm going to ask to listen and compare both from the entrance to the sanctuary and see what he feels/hears.

I usually play with a 1.5C. As I was writing, I decided to give the Parduba 7.5 another shot but also backing off of it. Wow. Even smoother and easier to play the higher register and no sacrifice on sound in the middle and lower registers.

I would have to say that this exchange about my newly acquired Getzen Eterna 900 Classic has been one of the most pleasant experiences on TH since I've joined. It really is nice to have this kind of comradery on the net where the most valuable advice about trumpets and trumpet playing is usually friendly 😉 and always free. 😊
—Yamaha YTS-354 trombone
—King 627 “baritonium”
—Akai EWI 5000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: