• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why is cornet easier to play than trumpet (for me)?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Why is cornet easier to play than trumpet (for me)? Reply with quote

I was wondering why I am presently getting along by far better on cornet (shepherd´s crook as well as long model) than on any trumpet I play.
Is it a mouthpiece issue only?
I cover more or less the same range on both types of instruments, but on cornet, that happens with ease, whereas on trumpet I really have to work harder.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but generally speaking cornets have less resistance than trumpets - find youself a free-blowing horn to try and see if that makes a difference?

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornet playing easier than trumpet is a strange phenomenon. It occurs in lowland US, just as it does in lowland Europe. I've heard instances of it in the US midlands, far west, and Austrian highlands, as well.

It is easily explained as an awareness, like love itself, that comes quietly into your playing, much like a cat's paw quietly creeping across the dawn light. A cornet becomes your close friend, your lover, your way of expressing all music, and is not jealous of the song of other cornets.

You will secretly come to feel that trumpets are strident beasts, best muzzled by large diameter, deep throat, large drill mouthpieces, to give them a voice fit for civilized music.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldblow wrote:
Cornet playing easier than trumpet is a strange phenomenon. It occurs in lowland US, just as it does in lowland Europe. I've heard instances of it in the US midlands, far west, and Austrian highlands, as well.

It is easily explained as an awareness, like love itself, that comes quietly into your playing, much like a cat's paw quietly creeping across the dawn light. A cornet becomes your close friend, your lover, your way of expressing all music, and is not jealous of the song of other cornets.

You will secretly come to feel that trumpets are strident beasts, best muzzled by large diameter, deep throat, large drill mouthpieces, to give them a voice fit for civilized music.

I like this post.

I think a good part of it has to do with the placement of the valves along the horns length, the braces and the (generally) more open radii of the wrap.

Another significant factor is the mouthpiece shank.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cornet is more like a great soloist in an opera, where a trumpet is more like a bicycle horn being mashed repeatedly by a grade schooler.

As we know, most of the general population would much rather listen to their children make ridiculous noises, while filming them on their HD mini-cam than go to the opera and hear great music.

"Popular" rarely indicates actual greatness.

Congratulations on finding out what humanity used to know in abundance. The cornet is the jewel of the brass section.
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldblow wrote:

You nail it, that is precisely how I feel, and I dig the metaphorical analogy as well. There is poetry in cornet that wants to get out for sure!

RandyTX wrote:
A cornet is more like a great soloist in an opera, where a trumpet is more like a bicycle horn being mashed repeatedly by a grade schooler. [...]
Congratulations on finding out what humanity used to know in abundance. The cornet is the jewel of the brass section.

That one made my day, Randy

Why bother with those nasty trumpets at all then I wonder

On a more serious side, the bore/resistance-ratio is not necessarily the point, to me there is something about the deeper cups of cornet mouthpiece that appear to an beneficial factor for the ease of playing.

And finally, one should never forget that I am also a trombonist in disguise
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cornet is less conical than a flugel, but more than a trumpet.

And the more conical is a horn the softer is the waveform, which means that less efforts are needed to produce the sound.

Bb Trumpets: Courtois Évolution IV, Stomvi Forte,
Buescher T-120, HT3.
Mpcs: Monette B2s3, Kanstul M-B2.
Flugel: H.Bagué (Yam 631 clone in red brass).
Mpcs: Curry FL & FLD.
BillyM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cornet, especially the short model, is a very intimate instrument. The bell is closer to your ear and you become apart of the sound.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:
Just a thought, but generally speaking cornets have less resistance than trumpets - find youself a free-blowing horn to try and see if that makes a difference?

Cheers,
Roger

Roger,

That might be just a function of the mouthpiece throat. Put a tight throated mouthpiece on a cornet and the resistance will go up same as it does in a trumpet.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three things:

Remember Herbert Clarke's letter: http://www.musicbyjoelill.com/benge/Clarke.htm

How hard is it to switch feel-wise between trumpet and cornet, say on stage?

Why did trumpet become dominant, even in quiet and miked settings.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
Three things:

Remember Herbert Clarke's letter: http://www.musicbyjoelill.com/benge/Clarke.htm

I think one reason the trumpet displaced the cornet is that the music society listened to left the softer, quieter decades of the horse-driven economy and embraced the mechanical rhythm and sounds of the industrial revolution. Big Bands were bold, brassy, hard hitting ensembles that reflected the growing dominance of trains, plains and automobiles. Trumpets fit, cornets got put out to pasture, as it were.

My contemplation,
Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an experiment to try.

1. Grab a Bb cornet. Any cornet, and insert a Wick 3 mouthpiece and turn to the back of Arban's and start playing down all the solos. Do that for an hour or two and put in extra time on the double and triple tonguing sections.

2. Now grab a Bb trumpet. Any trumpet, and insert a Bach 1.5 C mouthpiece and turn to the back of Arban's and start playing down all the solos. Do that for an hour or two. Put extra time in on the double and triple tonguing sections.

Still think the cornet is easier ?????
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurent wrote:
A cornet is less conical than a flugel, but more than a trumpet.

I believe that there was a time when this was actually a substantial difference, but it is long since ceased to be true, despite being repeated often everywhere you go.

Originally trumpets were far more cylindrical than they are now, which made them harder to play. I think modern trumpets have adopted many of the characteristics of the cornet (other than the wrap and mouthpiece) in an effort to make them slot better and easier to play.

Consider this as some form of "evidence" in the case I'm attempting to make above...

http://robbstewart.com/Essays/TrumpetSchmumpet.html
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flattergrub wrote:
Here is an experiment to try.

1. Grab a Bb cornet. Any cornet, and insert a Wick 3 mouthpiece and turn to the back of Arban's and start playing down all the solos. Do that for an hour or two and put in extra time on the double and triple tonguing sections.

2. Now grab a Bb trumpet. Any trumpet, and insert a Bach 1.5 C mouthpiece and turn to the back of Arban's and start playing down all the solos. Do that for an hour or two. Put extra time in on the double and triple tonguing sections.

Still think the cornet is easier ?????

Add #3. Free-buzzing the entire set of exercises without any horn.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldblow wrote:

This almost gave me a little wood . . . .

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trumpet makes a bit better instrument for dance bands catering to swells in the back when era.
love to stay and chat but i have to go out and lindy hop.
..chuck
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
Three things:

Yeah.. look how that worked out for Clarke. Brian nailed it, as usual!
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of a "cornet" mouthpiece in a trumpet, I've got a Schilke 8E2 for sale in Marketplace.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good cornet can't be beat for sheer enjoyment of playing. They are easier to do certain things on, but I agree, endurance is generally better on a trumpet. I'm not sure this isn't mainly a result of the respective mouthpieces used, though.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm borrowing an 1876 Besson Bb cornet that a friend had restored to like-new condition. I can now understand how Clarke could recommend repeating his studies 16 times or more. It's just so easy to play with very little air. I could never do that on trumpet. However, when pushing more air there still isn't much volume in sound. Makes me wonder how players could survive in a band with these. Maybe bands weren't as loud back then to accommodate the cornet players.

Kent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: